BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Graham: the man, the myth, the movie star...
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 12:44 AM
Graham: the man, the myth, the movie star...

While Graham is best known for his dancing number in "Titanic"- tonight, I realized he had an earlier scene with Leo as well, pushed up against the edge of the hallway, as Leo's character "Jack" rushes onboard, shortly before the ship departs.

I'll always remember driving past Popotla 25 years ago, and watching the enormous mock-up of the great ship rising and falling into various positions during filming in the tank at Fox studios- and occasionally seeing some of the actors visiting Ensenada for breakfast.

That's why, when I hear the wind blowing and the waves crashing during the outdoor scenes at sea in the movie- I think of Baja, not the North Atlantic!

And here's Graham in the dancing/party scene:

Happy 25th anniversary to the making of this movie- and to Graham's acting debut!

[Edited on 11-29-2020 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 12:51 PM

OMG. That long ago.

Remember being cast as the Titanic drunk!

And how I turned to a mug of tea on the Carpathia.

Titanic pic4.jpg - 37kB Titanic pic1.jpg - 50kB Titanic pic 2.jpg - 45kB

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 01:11 PM

Wonderful experience!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 01:13 PM

Well done! It's so fun to see familiar faces in movies.

Your character must have been nursing one heck of a hangover... but fared much better than most of the other steerage passengers.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 01:57 PM

At the end of the movie you can see Graham along the rail with the other passengers... His flaming hair stands out greatly.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 03:48 PM

"flaming hair"! Oh... I get it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 04:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RocketJSquirrel  
"flaming hair"! Oh... I get it.

Yep, and this famous Baja novel title is referring to the young man's hair color >>>

[Edited on 11-29-2020 by David K]

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 04:36 PM

The casting director should have scored an Oscar!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 05:33 PM

More important... How were the groupies, Graham? A man's got to have his priorities.
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 09:07 PM

Sadly, all the beer we got to drink was really sweet root beer.

There were so many redheads among the extras. But I think I had the reddest hair.

No groupies... But long nights on the set for 6 months... remembering falling hopelessly in love with several of the cute dummies!

Right after filming, took off with a burro for 6 months to walk to Loreto. Tecate supplied free beer all the way! Happy Days!

img012a.jpg - 142kB

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 09:22 PM

On the Carpathia. Well, at least you were one of the survivors. Wait. I thought only women and children were allowed in the lifeboats.
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 09:31 PM

They filmed so many options. My first scene had me as an ice-covered corpse clinging to a barrel...

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2020 at 09:24 AM

Oh my what an experience.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2020 at 09:01 PM

If you only get to work on one movie in your life: Titanic is a good choice- a true epic!

Did many of the actors venture beyond the studio?

A friend saw David Warner walking near Alfonsos in Ensenada one morning and was so thrilled.

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2020 at 09:07 PM
ice covered corpse...

Quote: Originally posted by Graham  
They filmed so many options. My first scene had me as an ice-covered corpse clinging to a barrel...

And... what was your motivation?
How did you prepare?

Did you go method or...?

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2020 at 10:58 PM

What fun! I had no idea.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2020 at 08:37 PM

Yes, it was an experience all right. Interacting with Kate Winslett, Leonardo di Caprio, James Cameron... etc.

But 6 months mostly working nights... I was ready for quality time on the mission trail with my Baja Burro.

Because movie was being made in Rosarito, I thought it might be a lark and might get a couple days work as an extra. Sent in a picture of myself, my wife at the time and our two children.

Ended up casting wanted us as a "core-group" family for the whole movie! Put us up in a condo on the beach, etc. Had no idea how big the movie would be.

Not sure about main actors being out and about... we were either on set, in the condo sleeping, or occasionally running back to house in San Diego.

I remember being horrified when I read the script and saw the portrayal of First Officer Murdoch as taking bribes with the ship sinking. He's a big hero in Scotland and knew how this would be received.

Before we filmed that scene I gave the actor playing Murdoch (Ewan Stewart) a bunch of material about how respected he was... and was so glad the movie made that scene more ambiguous. Nevertheless, there was still outrage in Scotland and Titanic made a big "apologetic" donation to the Murdoch educational fund.

Wouldn't have missed the experience... but realized movies not for me. Was very happy to take off with my burro!

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2020 at 08:43 PM

Mision, the bad burro.

First Officer Murdoch, Ewan Stewart, on set.

scan iadp126aa.jpg - 140kB img141_1_1.jpg - 82kB Titanic Scan 064a.jpg - 20kB

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.