Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: NoWater in Mulege??
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 01:03 PM
NoWater in Mulege??

Got several messages indicating all water had been shut off in Mulege...wassup with that???
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 01:18 PM

The water company can't pay the power bill so CFE cuts them off and they can't run the pumps. Looks like it is back on for a while.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 01:19 PM

Sir Charles ;)

I dunno .... but, as a Mulege fan, I am curious as to what their water source is.

Hope your winter is going well. :coolup:

Don't believe everything you think....
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 02:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Sir Charles ;)

I dunno .... but, as a Mulege fan, I am curious as to what their water source is.

Hope your winter is going well. :coolup:

There are several wells supporting the Mulege water supply. One down the ice house road then left at the welding guy. They have a new well supplying the new settlement down the carretera southbound. and the line extension goes back along the cerretera towards El Cacheno. One pump they put right into the river a distance upriver. (Donno if SAPA is still doing that)
But SAPA has enough income to pay CFE. So I am wondering if that is the real reason. I doubt it. This happened before and it was said CFE had cut of the power. Wasn`t true.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 03:51 PM

Thanks.

I figured it was river source west of town. The river seems to peter out pretty quickly in the palm groves west of the mission....is there a significant water table there and westwards? Is there any water treatment or is it just pumped from well to pipes?

I have ridden the Raymundo Wash route to the Pacific a dozen times over the years.... and there are dam remnants along the way....and flooded/eroded by those horrendous tropical storms. I have seen flotsam as high as 15 feet in tree tops at the height of land/divide.... never mind the evidence in lower locations. It would be an epic experience to be in a safe spot and witness that level of nature at work. :o

[Edited on 2-5-2021 by motoged]

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 05:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Thanks.

I figured it was river source west of town. The river seems to peter out pretty quickly in the palm groves west of the mission....is there a significant water table there and westwards? Is there any water treatment or is it just pumped from well to pipes?

I have ridden the Raymundo Wash route to the Pacific a dozen times over the years.... and there are dam remnants along the way....and flooded/eroded by those horrendous tropical storms. I have seen flotsam as high as 15 feet in tree tops at the height of land/divide.... never mind the evidence in lower locations. It would be an epic experience to be in a safe spot and witness that level of nature at work. :o

[Edited on 2-5-2021 by motoged]

Well, not quite correct. The river has always water. The source is never dry. O.K., eastbound the palms are certainly taking whatever they need. But that is not an issue talking the water supply for Mulege. As along town, SAPA is not taking river water for supply. The water situation in Mulege is great. Under normal circumstances there is plenty of water available. Other towns like i.e. Loreto where there is a constant supply problem -- Mulege can supply water to other towns. In summer you can see water trucks coming to Mulege and getting water for their settlement or hometown.
So peter out??? NO!
And this is why I do not believe this story about CFE cut of the power for the pumps. SAPA is charging serious money at the well. Especially if it is a commercial truck - which all of them are. Good so. The water is sold i.e. to Posada or Loreto. Why not charging a good price? I know that even in summer people in Mulege have a sufficient water. supply. Yes, the water is treated. At least at the well down ice house road. You can see it! What treatment SAPA is using? No idea. But they do. BTW in case a hurricane is on the horizon, all pumps are cut off. As long as the water is not crystal clear. I drove w/ my friends many times westwards towards the source. We filled up our water cans and we always drank the water. Upstream it taste sweet like good water should. No different as in the US when you go upstream where no chemical plant or something like that can spoil the water. And for sure there is not a single plant west of Mulege.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 05:27 PM

geezz
you'd think people would know their water source...

mulege has 2 wells with two 440volt pumps for residental and commercial use

there is not enough "head pressure" to supply the entire town at one time so some neighborhoods get water every other day

residents use tanks to store water for the "off days"

there are a few cement tanks on the hills to assist water storage and pressure

there are a few private wells for agriculture use but is is illegal to use that water for residential use

currently the water is not treated but clean and clear at the pump
the only time it may get cloudy is after a rain or if someone over greases the pump bearings

the river everone sees is an estuary...part salt water part fresh

the "real" river is underground

sapas website on facebook says they are having problems paying CFE

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 05:50 PM

Bob and Susan, that is correct somehow. The river is very visible if you drive upstream towards the divide. But downhill it is underground, correct. It`s a long and rough/rocky way up there towards the source. What`s correct, yes in the outskirts of Mulege SAPA is only pumping every second day. But with a cistern underground or a pillar (water tank) on the roof it is not a problem at all. You can see pillars all over Mexico. Down here in Cabo most homes have two or three pillars on the roof. Securing tomorrow they call it. In Mulege only inside town SAPA is delivering water every day. And only if the supply chain is connected to the well down ice house road. Do you know if the pump they used to set into the river is still in use?
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 06:09 PM

Pilas...water storage tanks. I have three here in Pescadero and our water service is good most of the time. But...when you need it you better have backup!...just like with CFE and generator backup for A/C in summer. It's Mexico..BCS!
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 06:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

.... the river everone sees is an estuary...part salt water part fresh....the "real" river is underground...

That was my impression...

I have never tried to go to a source point for the river.....but have seen isolated pockets of water of varying depths west of town ....depending on season, etc.

I have only explored that area in months between October and March.

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 09:39 PM

As this happens every year I have the dull feeling that SAPA is preparing the folks for an increase in payments. They certainly have enough money to pay CFE. BUT: There are also a lot of homes in Mulege having illegal water lines SAPA doesn`t know about. (Mexicans do have steeling in their genes) The former physician in Mulege Dr. Daniel Hector de Solis Silva once said: The worst enemy of a Mexican is the next Mexican.
It is a shame that SAPA is not capable to send two employees from door to door checking if or not there is water supply line to that specific house and comparing that to their documents. If it is paid for or not. Then they would fast enough learn how to make money the appropriate way. Instead of increasing the monthly payment for those who are honest and paying.
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2021 at 03:22 AM

"pillar"="pila".
Also the same word for "battery" and pronounced "pee'-lah"

I'm reminded of an ad on Craigslist Rhode Island that said they had an "amwa" in good shape.
Now, the New England accent pronounces that "ah-mwah".
I had to look at the picture to see an "armoire".
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-6-2021 at 09:14 AM

here in mulege they call a black tank a pila
its normal street talk

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-6-2021 at 09:46 AM

Pila is the word used by the homeowners with one on top of their homes, south of San Felipe!

'Pila' is also applied to small reservoirs made for the missions and visitas of Baja by area ranchers/ farmers.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2021 at 10:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
pillar (water tank) on the roof

"pillar"?

What language is that? I've never heard the term. :?:

i believe pillar is a woman's name
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2021 at 10:19 AM

English translation from La Voz del Pacífico 91.3 FM Facebook page -

CFE cuts electric light to water wells in Mulege; Oomsapas reconnects without authorization
Warrior black, Baja California Sur (BCS).- On Wednesday, February 3, 2021, the Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) suspended power supply to 3 water extraction wells from the Palo Aqueduct Green, 2 in the Heroic Mulegé and also in the Vizcaino Valley.
The above, due to the debit that the Municipal Operating Agency of the Mulegé Water, Sewerage and Sanitation Service (Oomsapas) has with the parastatal.
In an unreleased event, the Mollegian city council instead of approaching negotiation or covering the full debit, reconnected without prior permission from the CFE sending municipal police elements to harass and prevent doing their job to employees of the power generating company.
It is not the first time that for the same reasons the CFE takes these kinds of actions: it is registered from June 17 and December 21, 2020, the first time was due to a debit of 5 millions of pesos, however, neither in December nor now in February 2021, the Operating Agency has informed citizenship about the total amount of debits.
Oomsapas Mulegé has repeatedly published newsletters on its official networks seeking to exempt their responsibility with a speech that blames the deadly users and presents the CFE as indolent and unacceptable.
Efrain Patiño Estrada

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-6-2021 at 10:55 AM

Pilar:
The official name of the 1720-1748 mission at La Paz is
Nuestra Señora del Pilar de la Paz Airapí

In 1748, the mission moved to Todos Santos, where the Airapí was dropped from the official name. In 1825, it moved again about a mile south. It operated as a mission to about 1840 then continued as a parish church.

It made for an interesting story...

https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/la_paz_m...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-6-2021 at 11:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by HeyMulegeScott  

Warrior black, Baja California Sur (BCS).

Palo Aqueduct Green

Mollegian city council

with a speech that blames the deadly users and presents the CFE as indolent and unacceptable.

Was this Google Translate? And to think I've been telling people how much it's improved lately.... :lol:

Deadly users? They must mean terminal, as in end user, but that is just my guess!

Sometimes when place names get translated it can be amusing, as well as confusing. An article I read about Pemex stations talked about Peace (La Paz), and Fishmonger (Pescadero)!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-6-2021 at 11:57 AM

That makes more sense than my guess! Those customers with a tinaca/pila/pillar on their roof wouldn't really care how long it took to re-fill as long as they had gravity feed water pressure.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2021 at 12:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by HeyMulegeScott  

Warrior black, Baja California Sur (BCS).

Palo Aqueduct Green

Mollegian city council

with a speech that blames the deadly users and presents the CFE as indolent and unacceptable.

Was this Google Translate? And to think I've been telling people how much it's improved lately.... :lol:

Ha. Yeah. Whatever Facebook uses. It's some funny stuff sometimes. I wonder if the English to Spanish translation is as jacked up.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.