BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: 6 Foot wide Trailer on Baja roads.
Lexusallterrain

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 01:06 PM
6 Foot wide Trailer on Baja roads.

I am purchasing an offroad trailer and I like the fact that i can sleep on sideways if the trailer is 6ft wide. Cause it gives me options to travel with grandkids thru baja. however i am worry their hwys are too narrow for my likings...
Please share your thoughts as I am looking at about 8ft wide from side to side and my vehicle is only 6ft wide!!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 01:12 PM

8 foot isn't that wide. A lot of boats and campers are 8.5 feet.

Just have to be extra careful. Best to travel on days with light truck traffic to reduce stress.

Going down the 5 will make life easier.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 01:16 PM

8 feet wide is about the size of the lane across most of Baja, while you would fit and many do drive trucks and trailers that wide, it puts you at risk of being side swiped, especially on curves by big rigs and drunks. And you can't see back with the trailer blocking your view.

Honestly I want a wide flat bed too to tow cars! But I have been side swiped on the 1 in the past and it's not fun.
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 01:16 PM

To make it less stressful, be sure that you have adequate mirrors for towing. You will want to see the center of the lane 200' behind your trailer to safely tow it. I have no idea what MX laws require, but the 200' rule is a California requirement whenever towing.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 02:06 PM

The same width as the tow rig is best. Wider will be a problem even though many are towing the 8.5' trailers. For a wide trailer consider two spares for the trailer because the curbs at the culvert's are at the edge of the pavement.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 02:13 PM

Our camp trailer is about 6 feet wide and it's been all over Baja without a problem. I wouldn't worry about the width at all, make sure you have a spare and all of the bearings are good. Check all of the U-bolts before the trip and during, the roads will loosen everything.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 02:32 PM

There are a number of small trailers that fit what you are looking for like the Taxa Cricket. It's only 6 ft 7 inches wide and 15 ft long. Do a Google search.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 02:37 PM

When you say "offroad trailer" are you referring to a small "overlanding" type trailer with a tent, or a larger travel trailer that is marketed as somehow offroad-able?
8' width may be suitable for graded dirt roads. However, the tracks/ruts on non-graded dirt roads tends to be the width of a full-size pickup or van, which is about 7'. If you plan to drive non-graded roads, the 8' width is likely to present problems clearing boulders, cacti, etc. Or sharp manzanita roots, which can poke through a tire sidewall (been there, done that). A trailer will "cheat" (shortcut) on tight curves/corners, requiring additional road width.
I made a 5' x 8' utility trailer for offroad. Width from outside to outside of the tires is 7' 1". Towing with a Jeep Wrangler or midsize SUV, I must pay attention to the wider width of the trailer's tire tracks. Towing with a full-size van, I am less concerned, except on tight curves. An 8' wide trailer would require a lot of careful driving, and many dirt roads would be a no-go.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 02:47 PM

Here is the best small off road trailer I've seen. Rented one a couple months ago and it was pretty sweet. It is 7.4 feet wide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joeQnefLHck

[Edited on 2-14-2021 by JZ]

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 03:08 PM

Just as a reference point, tractor trailers (semis) in Baja are usually 8 to 8.5 feet wide, plus mirrors.

I have stopped and measured some seriously narrow-looking sections of highway in Baja, and was surprised to see the narrowest at a hair under 20 feet wide.
I swore they looked 16.
:biggrin:

I don't like those perfectly-sized (5 or 6 feet wide) trailers that have their fender flares sticking out, adding another 2 feet to the width, but I've never had an off-road trailer either.
My idea of an off-road trailer would involve a small pickup bed with canopy/cap/shell...
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 03:33 PM

JZ,
I looked up the specs on that trailer for comparison.
Overall Width = 89" Track width = 76" (track width is the center of tire tread to center of tire tread)
My utility trailer has an overall width of 85" and a track width of 75". Those are in the maximum width range that I'd recommend for offroad. What was your experience towing the rental trailer?

TopoTerra in El Cajon rents offroad/overlanding trailers, also Toyota 4x4 Tacoma, with or without rooftop tent. They allow travel to Baja. Reasonable pricing. Additional camping gear available for rent. I met a family in the Sierra de Juarez wilderness camping with the Tacoma, rooftop tent, and trailer. They were 100% thrilled with their experience. https://www.topoterra.com/

[Edited on 2-14-2021 by Maderita]
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 04:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandy  
I have stopped and measured some seriously narrow-looking sections of highway in Baja, and was surprised to see the narrowest at a hair under 20 feet wide.
I swore they looked 16.

I also measured the width and came up with 19 feet. That's 9 1/2 ft per lane. The fifth wheel we bought was an 8 ft wide unit (with the thought of narrow Baja roads in mind) and the most fearful time on the road was meeting RV caravans.. first time Baja drivers in 8 1/2 wide body motor-homes.... Lots of them were missing their drivers side mirrors!!

That was 18 years ago and highways continue to be improved and widened.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 04:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
JZ,
I looked up the specs on that trailer for comparison.
Overall Width = 89" Track width = 76" (track width is the center of tire tread to center of tire tread)
My utility trailer has an overall width of 85" and a track width of 75". Those are in the maximum width range that I'd recommend for offroad. What was your experience towing the rental trailer?

TopoTerra in El Cajon rents offroad/overlanding trailers, also Toyota 4x4 Tacoma, with or without rooftop tent. They allow travel to Baja. Reasonable pricing. Additional camping gear available for rent. I met a family in the Sierra de Juarez wilderness camping with the Tacoma, rooftop tent, and trailer. They were 100% thrilled with their experience. https://www.topoterra.com/

My kid's Taco pulled it pretty easily. Even up the Grapevine on the 5.

I rented it on Outdoorsy.com. They are from private ppl there. All kinds of stuff. For $50 extra he delivered and picked it up from my house.

In May we rented a 38 foot LOA toy hauler. Took it from LA to Utah. That needed my big truck.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 08:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  
I swore they looked 16.

I also measured the width and came up with 19 feet. That's 9 1/2 ft per lane. The fifth wheel we bought was an 8 ft wide unit (with the thought of narrow Baja roads in mind) and the most fearful time on the road was meeting RV caravans.. first time Baja drivers in 8 1/2 wide body motor-homes.... Lots of them were missing their drivers side mirrors!!

When towing trailer, slow down on narrow roads and the blood will return to your knuckles :light:

I sometimes see people doing 75+ towing trailer on narrow sections :no:

A bit saner to keep it under 65 (or lower) whentrailering in the narrow sections :light:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 08:56 PM

JZ, any more info on that trailer? It's on my list (top 3 ) that we are looking at. Haven't seen one in person yet but I have read some good reviews.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 09:44 PM

The primary issue is the places were the pavement drops off right past the white line. The other issue is the 18 wheelers drive on your side of the road and rarely slow down! If you get a wheel off the road you’re in for a rough couple of seconds. Turns are especially interesting. This time of year the Cattle graze along side of the road as well, cattle generally stay off the road, the same can’t be said for goats and people taking selfie’s! Today north of the LA Bay turnoff we came over a rise and there were at least 6 people standing in the road taking pictures of each other!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 09:49 PM
You said "off road trailer"

I do a lot of back roads, and have the pin stripes on my Trooper to prove it. I would hate to see what an eight foot trailer would look like after one of my trips!

Wheel placement is another issue that would get complicated with a wide wheelbase camp trailer. I would stick with one that is close to what your tow vehicle is.

I have made several trips pulling a utility trailer full of gear behind a 2 door Kia Sportage with no problems. Oversize, low pressure tires give the trailer a soft ride as well as good clearance!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 01:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I do a lot of back roads, and have the pin stripes on my Trooper to prove it. I would hate to see what an eight foot trailer would look like after one of my trips!

Wheel placement is another issue that would get complicated with a wide wheelbase camp trailer. I would stick with one that is close to what your tow vehicle is.

I have made several trips pulling a utility trailer full of gear behind a 2 door Kia Sportage with no problems. Oversize, low pressure tires give the trailer a soft ride as well as good clearance!

“Offroad” trailers are made for offroad. Ok to drag the thru brush, over rocks. Offroad, Any trailer is going to cut a tighter corner than tow vehicle and get scraped or dragged over the inside line of corner.
I pull an m1102 (military) trailer offroad, the trailer is way tougher than my tow vehicle, trailer has much higher ground clearance too.
Only problem is turning around, and trailer does not have a TV or espresso machine.

If you want a trailer with bed, shower, tv, espresso machine, fancy kitchen, etc,... well, it isn’t an “offroad” trailer. It is a trailer for maintained unpaved roads.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 02:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I pull an m1102 (military) trailer offroad, the trailer is way tougher than my tow vehicle, trailer has much higher ground clearance too.
Only problem is turning around, and trailer does not have a TV or espresso machine.

If you want a trailer with bed, shower, tv, espresso machine, fancy kitchen, etc,... well, it isn’t an “offroad” trailer. It is a trailer for maintained unpaved roads.

Look at you! You finally let your guard down! For the very first time in about 5 years you have said something about what ^you" do in Baja. Instead of judging and critizing someone. Keep it coming.

Now, to your point. Times change my friend. We aren't in the 90s or 00s anymore. Every single one of those things and a lot more are in the trailer mentioned above.

[Edited on 2-15-2021 by JZ]

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 07:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  
I swore they looked 16.

When towing trailer, slow down on narrow roads and the blood will return to your knuckles :light:

I sometimes see people doing 75+ towing trailer on narrow sections :no:

A bit saner to keep it under 65 (or lower) whentrailering in the narrow sections :light:

I agree...just what the f is the hurry? if a driver is more comfortable at 50mph, then do that. when i had my unimog i drove the whole peninsula at 50 many times. the good news is Mexican drivers are aware that really slow traffic is often present and deal with it. unlike California where towing at 55 seems really dangerous due to fast traffic closing on your 6. ask your self how you will use that extra time you save by going fast.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.