Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Android update for Cartographia 32
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-17-2021 at 12:45 PM
Android update for Cartographia 32

My GPS go-to map for Baja and Mexico mainland has been the Cartographia 32 map on my Garmin 60CSX .... just got an e-mail saying they have an android update coming out soon.

If there is a better map for Baja, I don't know what it is.

Don't believe everything you think....
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2021 at 12:53 PM

Back Country Navigator (my favorite) or Gaia with satellite imagery and your own tracks and way-points crushes Garmin + Carto 32.

It's like using Google Earth on your phone or tablet and seeing yourself driving on the satellite photo as you go through a canyon and approach the ocean.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2021 at 02:53 PM

I really like the E32 (Garmin) and use the OSMAND APP on my Samsung phone. Nice having two different options running.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2021 at 11:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
I really like the E32 (Garmin) and use the OSMAND APP on my Samsung phone. Nice having two different options running.

Yo tambien. Garmin on the Tourtech suspended holder isn't going anywhere....would sure hate to see my phone hit the road.....

As a Luddite, I have refrained from the app culture....but have recently downloaded a half dozen for comparison. I see how the phone app would be a helpful backup when stopped....or when scouting potential routes with a bit of a larger screen.

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2021 at 07:34 AM

For routing or rout finding on the go, the app's are amazing. I've never mastered Garmin and hate even trying to get routes on the dam thing. OSMAND on the other hand is amazingly simple, use the measuring device on the spot and it converts into a track/route with a click of a button. Someone emails you a track and when you click on it, it opens and saves in the app! I will be getting a tablet for the new Gladiator to run some app's on.
Lot's of how to videos on youtube...
Tacobul

[*] posted on 2-19-2021 at 08:38 AM

I have been using Locus maps on my android phone. Its OK but i haven't really dove in too far on how manage it properly. It is a useful tool and helps me find my way out the messes i get into. Good thread as i am curious as to what platform works best....and how sharing tracks between GPS apps can be done successfully.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2021 at 08:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tacobul  
I have been using Locus maps on my android phone. Its OK but i haven't really dove in too far on how manage it properly. It is a useful tool and helps me find my way out the messes i get into. Good thread as i am curious as to what platform works best....and how sharing tracks between GPS apps can be done successfully.

Gaia and Back Country Navigator are the best. Both import GPX and KMZ files for tracks and way points. I've never tried OSMAND, but it's probably similar.

All are infinitely better than stand alone GPS, like the ones from Garmin.

[Edited on 2-19-2021 by JZ]

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-19-2021 at 08:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

As a Luddite, I have refrained from the app culture....but have recently downloaded a half dozen for comparison.

I am familiar with the term Luddite (guilty here) but what is this "app" thing you speak of? Is it like a AAA Baja map?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2021 at 09:48 AM

Gary,
My understanding of "app" is that an app is a downloadable program that one adds to their laptoppy and and/or phone thingy.... and it does stuff for you on that gizmo. Some are useful.....some are just fun: e.g. one type allows you to take a pic of a plant and it tells you what it is; another lets you edit and fix up photos; and a gazillion other things.

something like that.... :biggrin:

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2021 at 10:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
For routing or rout finding on the go, the app's are amazing. I've never mastered Garmin and hate even trying to get routes on the dam thing. OSMAND on the other hand is amazingly simple, use the measuring device on the spot and it converts into a track/route with a click of a button. ......
Lot's of how to videos on youtube...

Yes, the apps are easier to use , for sure. My 60CSX doesn't have a touch screen, so the phone wins out on that count.

I don't get into track downloads, etc very often ( but I download tracks when on multi-day adventures with a group).....90% of my riding is solo, so GPS lets me get back home if I had brain farts during a ride.

I usually preview significant rides by paper map, Google earth/maps, etc to get a sense of where I will and want to go.....and only tune into GPS screen for location confirmations.....or to follow route in difficult / complicated trail systems.

I have been on too many rides with GPS junkies who are slaves to the GPS and not the ride.....and frequently take us on false routes....."the GPS said....."

My intuitive GPS has served me well......the only time it saved my butt was in the Malarimmo area in a bunch of mudhills east of Bahia Tortugas.....and on a 2500 km large group ride in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming..... The Montana 1000 a few years ago.....Mulege Al was there with his squeeze and they were droning the ride....

I would not be surprised if the upcoming E32 map app will work like the other apps identified here so far......and I like the idea it is Mexican-made. So, folks can't really rate it until it comes out. :light:

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2021 at 10:36 AM

I got the notice from cartografia e32 also. They said look for May or June. I´m looking foward to using it on my tablet with a 8.5 inch screen. :bounce:
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2021 at 10:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
I got the notice from cartografia e32 also. They said look for May or June. I´m looking foward to using it on my tablet with a 8.5 inch screen. :bounce:

I got it too. I remember emailing the owner about 6-7 years ago, maybe longer, asking about an Android version. Probably have the emails somewhere.

[Edited on 2-19-2021 by JZ]

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 2-19-2021 at 11:07 AM

modern technology! remember a number of years ago someone posted a pic of an adventure bike with a "no maps" decal on the luggage?
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2021 at 11:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tacobul  

Tacobul,

Well, I found Shut Up Frank's without the GPS.... and the cinnamon buns in El Triunfo.... and weekend shrimp tacos in Bahia Asuncion....and a few margarita tours.... however, couldn't find the right track to Esmerelda :biggrin:

[Edited on 2-19-2021 by motoged]

Tacobul

[*] posted on 2-19-2021 at 11:39 AM

Esmeralda is a Baja legend/myth....not sure where one would find her :biggrin:
How could you pass a sign conveying such a basic human verbal response ? Tasty beer and food there. Some of the better Tacos were just up the street if i recall
It all seems so distant of a memory. ;)
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2021 at 01:20 PM

The Esmerelda track has been ridden a lot, but is still a relatively unknown ride for many riders. It started in San Felipe, wound it's way south, and then into the open desert.
A bit rocky in places but the soft stuff was challenging....just need to keep the momentum up. :coolup:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.