Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: San Basilio
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2021 at 11:00 AM
San Basilio

Anyone been out to San Bailio lately? According to their Facebook page it's closed to camping and the latest reports on iOverlander don't sound too great anyway. The cove north (Ensenada Puerto Almeja?) looks pretty amazing. Can you still camp there?

bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2021 at 12:52 PM

No recent info, but they did put a cable to block people from driving onto the beach. It was getting too crowded.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2021 at 01:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajarich  
No recent info, but they did put a cable to block people from driving onto the beach. It was getting too crowded.

That's San Basilio? This was the latest report on iOverlander -

February 21st, 2021 by CarpeViam Iconpopout
Devastating... when I found this place and shared it here, there were no fences, you could camp right on the beach, NOBODY was out here (maybe a Mexican fisherman once a week), the very picture of Baja isolation... now I cannot find a place to park, they have “happy hour”, people leave their gear to claim spots (even though there are so very few) and long termers have moved in... let this be a warning to anyone posting their gems on iOverlander, their days are numbered... the single biggest regret of my decade long overlanding career...

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2021 at 01:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by HeyMulegeScott  
let this be a warning to anyone posting their gems on iOverlander, their days are numbered... the single biggest regret of my decade long overlanding career...

And not the least bit surprising when you let the entire world know through the internet.

Overlanding has been around for a decade? What did we call it before then? Oh yeah, car camping.

John

[Edited on 2-26-2021 by John Harper]
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2021 at 01:55 PM

I first drove into San Basilio in 1996 in my 2WD VW Vanagon. i wasn't sure I'd be able to make it back out. It was before there were any houses there. I'm glad I got to see it and camp on that beach as much as I did until they fenced it off.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2021 at 08:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

Overlanding has been around for a decade? What did we call it before then? Oh yeah, car camping.

Am I car camping or overlanding? No rooftop tent so I guess I'm car camping.

[Edited on 2-27-2021 by BajaNomad]

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2021 at 12:42 AM

More and more, you have to have a boat or a bike to see the good stuff.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2021 at 06:39 AM

San Basillo is a beautiful place. The problem is that a group of people go there and stay for months. That group (AKA “ The bonehead Society “) acts as if it is their personal property. They should make it a 1 week maximum stay. Self contained units have enough capacity in their black water tanks for that time so you don’t have to deal with the “sheeting fields” behind the beach.

I too, despise the term overlanding.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2021 at 07:04 AM

If having a rooftop tent is the defining characteristic of "overlanding," then let's just call it what it really is. Overpaying.

John
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-27-2021 at 09:22 AM

An over-used high-density camp site with no sanitation. I am sure the desert here is a mine field of chit and TP and food waste.

When the wind blows, half the dust/particulate matter is feces.

Sounds lovely.

[Edited on 2-27-2021 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-27-2021 at 09:44 AM

Quote " I am sure the desert here is a mine field of chit and TP and food waste."

Do they need more chit eating coyotes there?

[Edited on 2-27-2021 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bajazly
Super Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 2-27-2021 at 10:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by HeyMulegeScott  
...when I found this place and shared it here... ...NOBODY was out here... ...now I cannot find a place to park...

Who'd a thunk it? There is a lesson somewhere here but the iIdiots are probably to stupid to learn it anytime soon.

But hey, as long as the imbeciles get 10,000 plus likes to boost their fragile egos, no harm no foul right?

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-27-2021 at 10:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Goat mentions sanitation as if norteamericanos are unclean and don't bury... When this land was home to tens of thousands of Indians, without flush toilets, was the land destroyed then? Nature takes care of these things. Humans are also a part of this planet... we belong here.

DK: don’t be an idiot!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 2-27-2021 at 11:07 AM

The stretch of Hwy 1 from Santa Rosella south past Loretto has some of the best camping beaches in Baja Sur. They are always crowded in winter, especially on Mexican holidays. Often it’s difficult to find a place to park and The traffic on Hwy 1 is very heavy. A majority of the campers seem to be Mexican nationals however. With Easter approaching we’ll see who shows up during the Pandemic.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2021 at 01:03 PM

Have flown the drone there filming it many times. The shots always come out so-so. I manage to always get poor lighting.

We have some good races back from the bay to Hwy1. It's a fun ride on the bikes.

Last time I was there we were playing music on my phone at the edge of the water. Talking normal. Some woman camping behind the wire sent her man down to tell us to be quiet. It was like 8pm and they were 300+ feet away. She must have had extremely good ears. We got back to the truck and bikes, and my MX friend let off 3 huge, ear piercing bottle rockets that echo'd all through the bay.

[Edited on 2-28-2021 by JZ]

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2021 at 01:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
The stretch of Hwy 1 from Santa Rosella south past Loretto has some of the best camping beaches in Baja Sur. They are always crowded in winter, especially on Mexican holidays. Often it’s difficult to find a place to park and The traffic on Hwy 1 is very heavy. A majority of the campers seem to be Mexican nationals however. With Easter approaching we’ll see who shows up during the Pandemic.

I think your assessment of winter campers being majority Mexican nationals is as off as your spelling of the towns. :D Semana Santa is a different story. I saw La Paz was going to close their beaches but haven't heard anything about Mulege and Loreto.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-28-2021 at 01:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
.... We got back to the truck and bikes, and my MX friend let off 3 huge, ear piercing bottle rockets that echo'd all through the bay. F that gringa with a stick up her butt.

That's a real classy act, there Buck :rolleyes:

Don't believe everything you think....
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2021 at 01:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

That's a real classy act, there Buck :rolleyes:

You don't need to stalk me anymore. I'm sorry for whatever I did to upset you so badly and I promise to try to do better.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-28-2021 at 01:40 PM

"Stalking" you ???? Don't flatter yourself....just responding to a post about camping etiquette and basic decency.

Do you really think your behaviour in that "story" is what most Nomads would respect, admire, or support?

Don't believe everything you think....
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2021 at 01:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
"Stalking" you ???? Don't flatter yourself....just responding to a post about camping etiquette and basic decency.

Do you really think your behaviour in that "story" is what most Nomads would respect, admire, or support?

Just checked in for the first time in 24 hrs, and 3 of the first 4 threads have you quoting me or talking about me. And you are calling me by a user name you found by scouring the internet to see what I'm up to. I'm pretty sure that's stalking.

I'll ignore you, you ignore me, ok? It's very likely no one on here wants to see the tit for tat. Again, sorry for aggravating you so much.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.