BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Any favorite body shop in Baja?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-21-2021 at 06:20 PM
Any favorite body shop in Baja?

My 99 Trooper got sideswiped, and the other driver's insurance company considers it a "total" and is going to give me a check. The damage is purely cosmetic, but the bids to repair it up here are indeed more than the truck is worth!

I am not interested in restoring this brush bashing veteran, "beat to fit and paint to match" is ok, as long as it is a quick turn around.

Since I don't live near the border, I am not really interested in shops near it. La Paz is my usual base for exploring, but I would be glad to hang out somewhere new if there is shop that can accommodate my repairs, and a place I can stay with my large dog.

Any suggestions are welcome!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-22-2021 at 09:35 AM

We have a great body shop in town . Ahh but truth is quick turn around any Mexican body shop . Just does not happen send me pictures of damage . I can forward to shop here if you wish .
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2021 at 06:40 AM

Quite right about a quick turn around being unlikely. There are good shops in la paz.
I've had work done...took over a month due to parts availability...oops, they sent the wrong stuff...
You get the idea...just takes time. Best of luck

[Edited on 9-23-2021 by pacificobob]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2021 at 07:27 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far!

Trailrider, I will try and forward a couple of photos. Where are the shops you would have me consider?

Pacificobob, the only parts I would need are the plastic fender flares on the rear door and fender, and I would not even start work down there if I can't find them to bring with me. Labor, tools, bondo and primer should be available in most places, and finish paint would be a bonus!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2021 at 08:07 AM

Why is the other insurance not going to give you a check? Do they require you to salvage the Trooper and relinquish title? Can you buy it back with a salvage title?

Seems wrong that they will pay nothing.

John
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2021 at 08:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Why is the other insurance not going to give you a check? Do they require you to salvage the Trooper and relinquish title? Can you buy it back with a salvage title?

Seems wrong that they will pay nothing.

John

I don't have the check yet, but the figure they came up with for the settlement is close to what I paid for the Trooper two years ago! I replaced the driver's side mirror ($40) and everything else works as designed.

It will have a salvage title, but I don't know what difference that will make going forward. I only carry liability coverage on my old vehicles, but this is the third time in four years that I have had to deal with other people's insurance companies. I feel like I am driving around with a bull's eye on the side of my cars!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-23-2021 at 08:24 AM

If you get the body work down in bajatrailrider's town, see if he can take you to the hot springs and other points of interest near San Vicente.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2021 at 08:32 AM

When I get work done in Mexico. [ be it plumbing, electrical, masonry, auto repairs, ect] i always try to supply parts and just contract the labor component..
I find that the tradesmen are far more comfortable not having to source materials, especially if they are not sure of cost and availability. It's a win/win IMO.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2021 at 09:53 AM

Yes you buy parts in states then bring trooper . Any time your car total you have right to buy it back . As ins company has pd you off . For your car you do have right to buy back very little money. Some ins companies may try to be difficult to buy back. Haha your the boss it's your car you tell them what to do . I'm hour south Ensenada also yes on off road travel anytime .
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2021 at 11:42 AM

Well, my experiance is: Pay for full covergae and have no trouble at all.
It is only a small amount of Pesos more than liability, but you don`t have to mess araound w/ any insurance.
BTW one got to know, that every insurance company does have a so called `claim denail agent´looking for nothing else than getting rid of your claim.
If your car is old - like in this thread - and the other one doesn`t have an insurance, yo`ll get at least what your car is worth according to the MX Blue Book / Market Value. Let the bodyshop repair the car and pay a small amount on top if the repair costs are higher than the estimated value, in case you wanna keep it.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2021 at 11:59 AM

The accident happened in Northern California.

I carry liability only on my US policy, which I believe limits me to the same coverage in Mexico. With multiple low value vehicles, the risk of loss is overcome by the premiums in just a few years with no claims against my policy.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2021 at 12:17 PM

On Mexican plated cars truck Rip off full coverage. True not that expensive. Except if total or stolen they pay very little . Compared to real value of your ride .
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2021 at 03:53 PM

I would like to know how it works with this `pay off´ and `pay back´ thing.
Is this correct: There is an old car in Baja (Baja plates) which has an accident. The repair of the accident will be more than the book valaue of the car. Let`s assume, the car is 30.000 Pesos in value and the repair is 31.000 Pesos. Now. the insurance company is paying you 30.000 Pesos - book value. Can they now pick up the car and get it? Or is it still yours and the monay replaces the damage? And if "YES" if the Ins. comp. can get it, is it only some kind of negotiations to pay and get it back´? How much (in your oppinion) would be the pay to get it back?? Simply negotiations? Thanks for any info.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2021 at 05:29 PM

You have title your the legal owner after you agree on money . For them to buy your car back then you state you want car . Then agree on buy back amount exhample in states. My 5000 Miles Lexus was totaled I was not driving. it was a driving total . 2 grand I bought it back .
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2021 at 07:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
On Mexican plated cars truck Rip off full coverage. True not that expensive. Except if total or stolen they pay very little . Compared to real value of your ride .

Don`t u know there is a diff betw. book an market value??

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.