BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: TJ accident scam
osidecylde

[*] posted on 2-14-2022 at 01:37 PM
TJ accident scam

I'm sure many of you know this scam already, but I thought I'd post it here for those who don't. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of it until I fell victim to it.

I don't post here ever. I mostly just browse around here to keep baja in my life, even though I haven't been able to go much lately.

In the last 30 years, I have made somewhere in the area of 50 trips. By no means an expert, but usually enough experience to know what to expect.

This one caught me off guard.

On this Saturday mid morning, my wife and I were headed down for a quick, 2 night trip just south of Rosarito.

On the section of road adjacent to the border, just before the turn to Playas or Rosarito Toll Rd, the road goes from to 2 to 3 lanes. I was in the middle lane in my stock 2017 Silverado 1500. A guy in the left lane starts to pass me and veers directly into me. Shocked, I slammed on the brakes to avoid the collision, without veering into the right lane. At the same time, a car passing me on the right side hits my right rear. I could feel my truck move from the collision. It all happened very fast. I didn't really know exactly what happened until I was able to process it later.

The guy the who cut me off continued on and disappeared, the other guy who struck me from behind, pulled up next to me and motioned for me to pull over. I acknowledged him. I don't know the Playas area, so I kept driving toward the toll road to pull over in the large parking area immediately before the toll booth.

When we both pulled over, the other driver (Mexican with Mex plates) meets me outside the cars, gives me a fist bump and told me I hit him. I was very shook up from the incident and a bit stunned. He was calm and almost happy looking. Very friendly. His left front was indeed all smashed up. I checked my right rear and was stunned to find very little damage. Dinged up bumper and a scratched up rear wheel. Tire still good though.

As I mentioned, I was a bit stunned at this point, and not thinking very clearly. At this time, I thought I may have veered a bit into his lane. He tells me it was my fault, and that this was going to cost him alot of money. He calls up someone who he says is in the auto repair business and tells me it is going to be $500. Next he says, hey, how much is your deductible? I tell him $500, so he tells me to just give him the cash now.
Duh!!!! Huge red flag!!!!

I go have a look at my truck again and a unsuccessfully try to get my wits back. While I didn't want screw around with the police and insurance, I decided to go that route and started to call them. The other guy rushes over and quickly says, just give me $250 and we are all good.

I gave him the money. I know, in hind site this was stupid. He grabbed it and bailed. Some employee of the facility that we where parked in front of walked over at this time and told to be careful with people like that. "They do this all the time." Ha! Thanks for telling me, but this would have been WAAAY more helpful 2 minutes ago!

That's when it all dawned on me. The initial shock wore off and was finally able to put it all together. It was all a coordinated plan to scam stupid gringos like myself.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized what happened. The guy's smashed up car was actually from a older accident. It wasn't' fresh.

What messed up and dangerous games those guys are playing.

In hindsight, here is what I learned.

Get a dash cam for the front and rear of your car.
Avoid driving in the middle lane in that stretch of road.
Always call the cops and insurance after an accident!!!!!!!! My guess is that these crooks would have took off if I called the police or insurance.

Luckily nobody got hurt. More than anything, the whole thing left me really bummed out.

[Edited on 2-14-2022 by osidecylde]

[Edited on 2-15-2022 by osidecylde]

[Edited on 2-15-2022 by osidecylde]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-14-2022 at 07:23 PM

There have been several instances of this same scam over here on Hwy 15 above Hermosillo. I know two people who were potential victims of this. One paid a reduced amount and the other refused until one of the perps was apparently tipped by cell phone that police were approaching. The perps split.

Yep, calling the insurance company is the way to go. I am always leery of calling the cops. Sometimes it is just another palm extended.

[Edited on 2-15-2022 by Hook]
osidecylde

[*] posted on 2-14-2022 at 08:05 PM

I was kinda wondering the same thing about calling the cops as well.

I want to at least believe when they catch someone else pulling a con, they will do their job and try to help.
Don Pisto
Banned

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 2-14-2022 at 08:32 PM

hate to be negative but good chance they're in cahoots:(

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2022 at 08:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by osidecylde  

I want to at least believe when they catch someone else pulling a con, they will do their job and try to help.

Don't think it would happen like that in this area.

Valuable lesson here about being alert to stuff on this road. $250 cheap lesson.

Don't think OP is stupid. Taken by surprise is all. Shouldn't be a second time.

Yeah, cameras!

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2022 at 10:42 PM

I think driving in the middle lane is the safest...imagine if they knock you to the side of the road?

This is really very upsetting and I am so sorry it happened.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2022 at 09:16 AM

Thanks for the report - good to keep abreast of foul play schemes. We can armchair analyze "what would I do" too. I think I'd start taking photos, ask him for his insurance and identification. Have the police phone number handy whenever you travel - you can say, "I'm going to call the police, I have the number right here - I'm not sure of the cause and who's at fault. In the US, if you hit somebody from behind like that, it's your fault for not avoiding the collision." Start inspecting his damage up close - rub your hand on a crease - tell him - regardless of whether or not you believe it - "I don't think this happened just now." Take out a pad and pen and start documenting his statements. And "what's your name, again?"
Or when he asks for money, say, "I don't have a lot of cash with me - I'm only driving to [some place 20 miles away]. And if he asks "well, how much do you have?". Just get back in your car. Get your camera and point it in his face. Say, "I know a hustle when I see one."

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2022 at 09:47 AM

So I started to put together some info to keep with my maps, etc. We can add to it - correct invalid info. Here's a start:

911 is Mexico’s New Emergency Assistance Service
From a Mexican cellphone or landline Dial 911
From a U.S. cellphone Dial 911

POLICE DEPARTMENT
Rosarito – (661) 613-0612
Tijuana – (664) 688-5541
Tijuana: Carretera Antigua a, Calle Tecate n, Presa Rodriguez, +52 664 493 0925

Ensenada – (646)182-3036
RED CROSS AMBULANCE
Rosarito – (661) 612-0414
Tijuana – (664) 685-5556
Ensenada – (646)174-4585

TJ Police Department 8 am – 5 pm
Av. Miguel Negrete 8381, 22015 Tijuana, Baja 664 688 5500

CONSULATES IN TIJUANA
U.S. Consulate – (664) 622-7400
In Rosarito: OMBUDSMAN OFFICE (Richard Moreno) – (661) 612-5071 The Ombudsman office will assist tourists with any problems; especially accident or crime.

Tecate: 21420, Av. Benito Juárez, Esteban Cantú 940, Tecate, B.C
Baja California Area Codes
 664 Tijuana
 665 Tecate
 686 Mexicali
 661 Rosarito
 646 Ensenada

 060 Police Department
 066 or 911 Emergency Number, Police, Fire
078 Tourist Assistance Hotline

If you have a medical emergency while traveling in Baja, Sharp International Patient Services will help you get to a hospital and back to the U.S. even if you are not a Sharp patient. This service works for anywhere in Mexico. There’s a 24-hour hotline that is free to call from anywhere in the world. 888-265-1513. Sharp will help you get an ambulance to take you to a nearby hospital and will then help with arrangements to get you back to the U.S. You do not need to have Sharp insurance to use the service, but they will ask for your insurance information if you have it.

FREE Assistance Service for Tourists 24 Hours Every Day
CONTACT TOMáS GUERRERO
From Baja: (616) 103-6473 / (616) 166-4058
Available 24 hours every day.

And: (01-616) 165-3645, between 8 am to 8 pm

Tourism Assistance Booth
Carretera Transpeninsular #1 Km 178.3
SECRETARIA DE TURISMO de BAJA CALIFORNIA

Day and night, call us for immediate assistance in any emergency.
Baja California Emergency Phone Number: 078
Km 178.3 SECRETARIA DE TURISMO de BAJA CALIFORNIA

Day and night, call us for immediate assistance in any emergency. Federal Highway Police: 176-1311
osidecylde

[*] posted on 2-15-2022 at 10:42 AM

Wildone.....

Great advice and thanks for posting all the contact info! Everyone should have that handy when in Baja.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-15-2022 at 11:15 AM
Another "teamwork" accident scam!

With two or more lanes of traffic, the car next to you starts honking their horn and waving to get your attention. That is also the signal for the already damaged vehicle directly in front of you to hit the brakes!

It was a near miss for me, but it was an obvious attempt to cause a rear end accident!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2022 at 11:28 AM

Public corruption in TJ
Phone # on top of page

http://www.sindicatura.gob.mx/#/default

Es Todo Bueno
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2022 at 10:05 AM

Again, thank you for the heads-up on yet another messed-up scam. I will have my eyes open

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2022 at 10:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Thanks for the report - good to keep abreast of foul play schemes. We can armchair analyze "what would I do" too. I think I'd start taking photos, ask him for his insurance and identification. Have the police phone number handy whenever you travel - you can say, "I'm going to call the police, I have the number right here - I'm not sure of the cause and who's at fault. In the US, if you hit somebody from behind like that, it's your fault for not avoiding the collision." Start inspecting his damage up close - rub your hand on a crease - tell him - regardless of whether or not you believe it - "I don't think this happened just now." Take out a pad and pen and start documenting his statements. And "what's your name, again?"
Or when he asks for money, say, "I don't have a lot of cash with me - I'm only driving to [some place 20 miles away]. And if he asks "well, how much do you have?". Just get back in your car. Get your camera and point it in his face. Say, "I know a hustle when I see one."

All good advice. Except for - maybe - "I don't think this happened just now", and "I know a hustle when I see one". For some reason insurance companies discourage such course of action.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-18-2022 at 10:43 AM

I might add that, in every reported case over here, the victim was driving a car with foreign plates; Canadian or US.

gosh darnn racial profiling!!! :lol:
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2022 at 09:19 PM

I had a similar experience in Mexicali. Some guy flagged me over and claimed that I had hit his car. At first I pretended that I didn't understand Spanish and he went on and on in a mixture of broken English and Spanish how I needed to pay him or I would go to jail, and telling me that the Mexican jail was very bad for gringos, and that the police were very bad. Finally, I told him in Spanish, that I wouldn't be giving him a single peso, that I wasn't afraid of the police or the Mexican jail, and I pulled out my phone and told him that I was going to call the Guardia Civil, to let them sort it out, and that if they determined that I had hit his car, I would then call the insurance company and let him deal with them. At that point after various s and puta madres, he got back in his car and sped off.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-8-2022 at 03:15 PM

I would not have stopped if he cant talk to you no trouble.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.