Author: Subject: Tijuana Pays a Price for Water Scarcity
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-17-2022 at 07:19 AM
Tijuana Pays a Price for Water Scarcity

Baja has it rough
https://voiceofsandiego.org/2022/05/24/san-diego-pays-a-lot-...

One wonders when San Diego or other areas in western usa will suffer water shortages like in Tijuana….

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2022 at 07:51 AM

Sounds like the situation in TJ is dire.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-17-2022 at 08:18 AM

Most all Northern Baja is water shortage for many years now . Years back I put in 4,000 gal Pozo and 1hp pump. So far I have not had to buy water from water truck. City water could be off for a week now they have a new well. A large rancho give it to city only because has slight salt in it. So for my cats and dogs now only bottled water. For now water comes on a hour per day. The poor do suffer as no pozo or pump. When they leave for work in morning they have 50 gal plastic tank. They take garden hose turn on hope its full when they return. So its not just TJ
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2022 at 08:47 AM

I wonder how much water is used by Valle de Guadalupe to grow grapes. Seems like a frivilous use of precious water.

Drink beer!! Or California wine if you must.

Also, couldn't TJ just shut down the water supply that flows down to Rosarito Beach. That would help. ;)

[Edited on 6-17-2022 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2022 at 09:45 AM

That water situation has me spooked. The Colorado River,
Lake Mead, Las Vegas area reported as bleak. The Cape
region of Baja, I assume they rely on ground water, what
is it, 90 mi. from Pacific to the Cortez? Seems to be a limited
amount of underground water at the end of an 800 mi.
peninsula?

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-17-2022 at 10:01 AM

I my area all grape ranchos that is cause of little water for city
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2022 at 10:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
I my area all grape ranchos that is cause of little water for city

I hear the same from those I know in La Paz area, that the big problem is massive growth in agricultural demand. The recent increases in residential building can't be helpful either. Looks to me like this will be the big challenge moving ahead.
Here in rainforest west coast of Canada, we are increasingly capturing excess rainwater and storing to reduce water usage, I have only 2000 liters of storage and estimate another 98,000 liters per year goes to waste storm drainage from my roofs alone.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-17-2022 at 10:36 AM

That doesn't sound good.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-17-2022 at 10:53 AM

In the part of California where I am right now, floods, and droughts are not only common, but are pretty much an annual event.

In October of 2021, the rain gauges around the part of the county where my property is located recorded 10 to 12 inches in a 24-hour period! Then the drought resumed until Christmas day when a near record snowstorm put down trees and powerlines all over the county. Ten days with no power at my house!

It is kind of hard to harness that kind of precipitation.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2022 at 11:42 AM

Here the city keeps putting in trees along the streets and highways near new developments which means water lines to water them and we're in a drought. Not very smart and they're asking home owners to reduce their water use.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2022 at 11:44 AM

Wouldnt it be wonderful if we learned to capture those excess events and redirect it to our declining underground storage aquifers where possible, instead of allowing it to erode the land as it rushes back to the ocean?. Might even have a positive effect on the rising sea levels we keep reporting. Farmers did this for millenia to enhance irrigation and water storage for both crops and animal use before the lawyers decided they were all wrong and had to be stopped.

[Edited on 6-17-2022 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-17-2022 at 11:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Wouldnt it be wonderful if we learned to capture those excess events and redirect it to our declining underground storage aquifers where possible, instead of allowing it to erode the land as it rushes back to the ocean?. Might even have a positive effect on the rising sea levels we keep reporting.

I have four ponds on my property that serve as sediment catching basins, and they slow the water down so that it can soak in and replenish some of the ground water level.

The largest one is only about a half acre, and about 12 feet deep. None of the ponds stay full through the summer, but three of the four sustain a fish population.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2022 at 12:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Wouldnt it be wonderful if we learned to capture those excess events and redirect it to our declining underground storage aquifers where possible, instead of allowing it to erode the land as it rushes back to the ocean?. Might even have a positive effect on the rising sea levels we keep reporting.

I have four ponds on my property that serve as sediment catching basins, and they slow the water down so that it can soak in and replenish some of the ground water level.

The largest one is only about a half acre, and about 12 feet deep. None of the ponds stay full through the summer, but three of the four sustain a fish population.

Gee AKgringo, you seem to have put some thought into this issue, just as my ancestors did. Roman society was especially determined to conquer their water issues, building huge dams, complicated delivery aqueducts and then storing water in huge underground cisterns for both security and convenience. Try to get a flood control/energy source dam built today and past the multitude of delays by the politicians AFTER the Engineers do the design and consequence approvals.

steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2022 at 08:13 PM

I agree with JDcanuck. The environmental quagmire defies common sense. Even for the better good.

Steve
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-19-2022 at 09:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Gee AKgringo, you seem to have put some thought into this issue, just as my ancestors did. Roman society was especially determined to conquer their water issues, building huge dams, complicated delivery aqueducts and then storing water in huge underground cisterns for both security and convenience. Try to get a flood control/energy source dam built today and past the multitude of delays by the politicians AFTER the Engineers do the design and consequence approvals.

We don’t need dams. What we need is conservation and population control. Eliminate golf courses (it’s a stupid game anyways). Stop growing stupid water-wasting crops like almonds in Central Valley.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2022 at 10:24 PM

Dams were all about conserving storm rain waters and then controlling the flows for more consistent and higher agricultural production. Energy was a byproduct that paid again for all the other benefits. There is a simple reason Norway has 99% renewable energy and British Columbia has attained over 95%. It was applying common sense to the issue.
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=16891

Which group have you decided should be prevented from bearing children to control the population? Almost all of the wealthier nations are already under stable population growth and presently rely on immigration, both legal and illegal to maintain their lifestyles.

[Edited on 6-20-2022 by JDCanuck]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-19-2022 at 11:14 PM

Dams were all about conserving storm rain waters and then controlling the flows for more consistent and higher agricultural production. Energy was a byproduct that paid again for all the other benefits. There is a simple reason Norway has 99% renewable energy and British Columbia has attained over 95%. It was applying common sense to the issue.

Which group have you decided should be prevented from bearing children to control the population? Almost all of the wealthier nations are already under stable population growth and presently rely on immigration, both legal and illegal to maintain their lifestyles.

Dude,
Hydroelectric and dam storage is a fantasy in desert SW and baja! Why are suggesting dams and hydroelectric will make desert be like wet places like Norway and BC?
Are you smoking crack?

Woke!

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2022 at 11:44 PM

You may not be aware we are presently expanding our northern hydro dams so we can continue to meet the growing demands in the US including California and Utah. It was a huge battle against those who felt we should just stop selling hydro power to the US instead, but the initial approval has been upheld, despite the protests.
One more victory for common sense.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-20-2022 at 06:13 AM

You may not be aware we are presently expanding our northern hydro dams so we can continue to meet the growing demands in the US including California and Utah. It was a huge battle against those who felt we should just stop selling hydro power to the US instead, but the initial approval has been upheld, despite the protests.
One more victory for common sense.

How is that going to alleviate water shortage in Tijuana?

Woke!

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-20-2022 at 08:19 AM

Meanwhile valley Chico has reportedly a very large aquifer that is mostly untapped. Good for the small development for San Felipe and projects further south. The usability depends on continued function of the wells, pilas, and pipe systems. Water continues to be mostly home delivery by truck, but several developments and the San Felipe town have piped city water at very low cost.
The San Felipe town, the north Ejido now have piped city water like several developments, otherwise the rest are using trucked water. Cost is very reasonable for good treated city water.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.