Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: A True-Crime Story That Pits Polygamists Against Drug Lords
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-29-2022 at 07:03 PM
A True-Crime Story That Pits Polygamists Against Drug Lords

A True-Crime Story That Pits Polygamists Against Drug Lords In her ninth book, “The Colony,” the veteran journalist Sally Denton takes readers across the border to a Mormon sect in Mexico.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/28/books/review/the-colony-s...

Our baja connection is nomad elinvestig8r, raised by Lebaron, and mama espinoza.

Truth is stranger than fiction!

What ever happened to Elvis?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-29-2022 at 09:49 PM

Those fundamentalist Mormons are disgusting. They aren't just polygamists, they marry off 16 year old girls to old men.

What's interesting is that Mormons were not originally polygamists- their founder, Joseph Smith, only added it to the religious doctrine later, when he had the hots for some 17 year old, when he was already married. (Whereupon his wife left him).

And the only reason mainstream Mormons officially stopped the practice of polygamy in the first place is that it was a requirement in order for Utah to acheive US statehood back in 1896.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 6-29-2022 at 11:17 PM

Surabi,

Care to comment on the fact that the Prophet of Islam had several wives, one of which was rather young by anyone’s standards! Young wives are not just a Mormon thing, nor are arranged marriages!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-30-2022 at 08:08 AM

We had a Nomad write much about his 'escape' from such a sect and how Mama Espinoza took him in.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2022 at 08:18 AM

Lots of religions are DESIGNED to be disgusting when viewed thru the eyes of YOUR religion.

Please pass the coin dish.

Get it yet?

Es Todo Bueno
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2022 at 08:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
We had a Nomad write much about his 'escape' from such a sect and how Mama Espinoza took him in.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=28205&pag...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 6-30-2022 at 08:38 AM

Governments and Religions have a bad habit of changing what Mother Nature has deemed totally acceptable...........

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2022 at 09:31 AM

One thing I will give the Mormons is their commitment to community works and supporting family activities. We could use more of that from individuals no matter what their religion is.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-30-2022 at 11:49 AM

I can only add this I worked for Mormons 21 years. Very nice people down to earth never a problem.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-30-2022 at 12:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Surabi,

Care to comment on the fact that the Prophet of Islam had several wives, one of which was rather young by anyone’s standards! Young wives are not just a Mormon thing, nor are arranged marriages!

Once again, you seem to think you need to explain the obvious to me, complete with exclamation marks.

FYI Muslims today do not consider polygamy to be acceptable, unlike fundamentalist Mormons.

There are plenty of things that used to be considered normal and acceptable which no longer are by the majority of humanity. Slavery, human sacrifice, child labor, killing off one's siblings to gain power to the throne, women being regarded as possessions, and not having the right to vote, etc.

Arranged marriages do not necessarily fall under this category, IMO, although most of us would consider the practice to be wholly unappealing. Unless it involves marrying off 13 year olds, if the parents truly love and care about their child's happiness, I doubt that arranged marriages result in any more miserable situations than when people are free to choose their partner. While I don't have any statistics, the divorce rate, and the domestic abuse rate in places where we get to choose, make it clear that we don't always choose wisely.

A friend of mine told me of a conversation she had with a woman from India who was her seatmate on a flight. Somehow they got to talking about arranged marriages, and the Indian woman said " Yes, you fall in love and then get married, we get married and then fall in love."
I'd venture a guess that the success rate and contentedness of both types of marriages is roughly equal.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2022 at 12:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Muslims today do not consider polygamy to be acceptable, unlike fundamentalist Mormons.

A fair amount of Muslims are polygamous in Africa, mid-east, sw Asia.

In my travels in Sw Asia, I several times I was told that society requires man to provide for his women, so many men don’t take multiple wives, as it get expensive to support additional wives.

I suppose if I had more money, I might consider taking on additional wives. Could be fun! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Woke!

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-30-2022 at 02:43 PM

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:best one yet
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2022 at 04:20 PM
How much fun?

The author of the book Goat highlights quotes, in another one of her books, that the 17 year old was the first of Smith's 48 "celestial relationships."

John M

[Edited on 6-30-2022 by John M]
Marty Mateo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2022 at 09:15 AM

Interesting read , didn’t know about the NXIVM cult connection but I guess that shouldn’t be a surprise. Another good read is Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer, good background on Mormonism
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2022 at 04:41 PM

Surabi,

You need to get out more! Even the Catholic Church allows multiple wives in Africa and married clergy. Islam has multiple wives, rental wives and really under aged wives. Also honor killings and much more GFE.

Pick on someone else! Disclaimer I’m a Presbyterian and think Mormons are a little strange!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-1-2022 at 05:49 PM

Growing up in Grass Valley, I knew quite a few people who were Mormons. As far as I was concerned, it was just another church, and they were good people.

One of my Mormon high school friends was in the same draft call with me in January 1967. At the pre-induction center in Oakland, he stated that he was a contentious objector, and could not take up arms against an enemy.

The Army said "Fine, you can be a medic!" I talked to him a few years after we got out, and he saw a lot of action in Viet Nam treating and evacuating wounded soldiers.

He stayed in the emergency responder field when he was a civilian again and was pursuing advanced training through the GI bill.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2022 at 06:00 PM

“The Sound of Gravel” by Ruth Wariner is a really good read that provides an in-depth personal account on this topic.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2022 at 06:25 PM

RFClark: Rental wives...an interesting concept closely resembling what we commonly see in practice under present laws. Is there an up front prepaid term and then you can renew the contract if both people agree with no further demands following the contractual term? Or 6 months minimum to achieve full marital ongoing rights similar to our system?

[Edited on 7-2-2022 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2022 at 07:09 PM

The rules are more complicated or can be but basically something along those lines but favoring the man.
Bajazly
Super Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

biggrin.gif posted on 7-1-2022 at 10:10 PM

Like the old saying goes which I have always found true, if it floats, flies or flocks, it's cheaper to rent.:biggrin:

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.