Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: My Baja Truck Was Stolen 9-17-2023
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2023 at 03:25 PM
My Baja Truck Was Stolen 9-17-2023

I know this is bending the rules a bit with being Baja related but I am exhausting all avenues.

My trusty 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4X4 was stolen from my house in Carlsbad CA early Sunday morning. It’s a pretty unique truck with a fiberglass shell and solar panels mounted in a safari roof rack, freezer, lithium battery. Lic. plate # in photos. I’ve had it a long time and basically raised my daughter in the back seat on dozens of Baja trips her whole life.

I know a lot of “nomads” are very brand-loyal but I can tell you this beautiful beast has been very good to me. I am asking you all to keep an eye out for it.

The little girl in the photos is now in her 3rd year of med school and she is quite upset that someone drove away with “Trucky”.

IMG_6459.jpg - 54kB IMG_6219.jpg - 62kB IMG_7580.jpg - 128kB IMG_7660.jpg - 121kB IMG_7831.jpg - 130kB

Kirby-in-Trucky.jpg - 105kB trucky.jpg - 37kB

[Edited on 9-19-2023 by bajadogs]

[Edited on 9-20-2023 by bajadogs]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2023 at 04:00 PM

What a drag. Unique truck. I'll keep an eye out for it. The thieves may take off the shell. "Sport" on the hood, "Dodge 4x4" on the tailgate.

[Edited on 9-19-2023 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-19-2023 at 04:59 PM

I am 20 miles east and north from you, will watch for it!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 9-19-2023 at 06:49 PM

What a tragedy. I feel so bad for you and hope that somehow you’re able to retrieve your “trucky.” It might be strange to say, and I realize that trucks may be considered ONLY physical items and are not that important in the cosmic scheme of things, but the love I have for my Jimmy transcends all that as I’m sure from reading your post you feel the same way. Best of luck on retrieving your beast.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2023 at 09:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
What a drag. Unique truck. I'll keep an eye out for it. The thieves may take off the shell. "Sport" on the hood, "Dodge 4x4" on the tailgate.

[Edited on 9-19-2023 by SFandH]

Thanks SF. I am prepared to lose it all, but not without a fight.

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I am 20 miles east and north from you, will watch for it!

I appreciate that David. My friends have always said they know it's me from miles away in that truck.

Quote: Originally posted by boe4fun  
What a tragedy. I feel so bad for you and hope that somehow you’re able to retrieve your “trucky.” It might be strange to say, and I realize that trucks may be considered ONLY physical items and are not that important in the cosmic scheme of things, but the love I have for my Jimmy transcends all that as I’m sure from reading your post you feel the same way. Best of luck on retrieving your beast.

Boe! Thanks so much for the thoughts. We met many moons ago over man sized beers at Shari's place. It was a great evening. I was on a moto at the time. You had a van full of prosthetic limbs. I liked you instantly. photo stolen from Shari

Boe bajadogs.jpg - 170kB
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2023 at 10:00 PM

Suck's, as a car guy I get it. I'll be in Baja in November, could end up down that way. Hoping for the best, maybe a tweaker living in it down the street.
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2023 at 10:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Suck's, as a car guy I get it. I'll be in Baja in November, could end up down that way. Hoping for the best, maybe a tweaker living in it down the street.

Thanks advrider, doorbell cameras show it was people who knew what they were doing and what they wanted. Fancy SUV and quick work to start it and follow it out of my neighborhood. I would honestly be surprised if it went Mexico, but what do i know? Thievery is not my expertise.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-19-2023 at 10:23 PM

Nice truck, hope you get it back in good shape
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-20-2023 at 07:27 AM

Losing your faithful Baja rig is like losing your dog.
Lost both of mine last year
Rocky passed away rather peacefully and
I gave my 1998 F-150 to my son who is starting a group home in Guadalupe.
That old "Silver Bullet" had made 23 annual treks far down the Baja
When I drop by the home for boys it still pains me to see that great faithful old rig sitting there
And of course they always hand me the keys, but it just ain't the same as having it tucked away in my garage.
Sorry partner, I feel your pain.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2023 at 07:48 AM

That sucks. I know the feeling. A year ago on 9/11/2022 I went out to get the morning paper. My 2001 Silverado 1500 4x4 I had since new, gone! Many Baja trips in it without any issues. V8 with all manual trans, windows. Didn’t think anybody would want a manual. Turns out the early 2000-2003 silverados are the top stolen vehicle.could be the ram trucks are gaining popularity in the stolen segment.

I hope you get yours back in the same shape you last saw her in...
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2023 at 06:00 PM

Having a car/truck stolen is the pits. I also hope you get her back in one piece. I had my car stolen once. the shock is real.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2023 at 12:24 PM

Well, you were right adv. My truck was detected heading south of the border about an hour after it was stolen. So it's a total loss short of a miracle. AirTags are going in everything now. Have a great trip.
Don Pisto
Banned

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 10-2-2023 at 04:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajadogs  

Well, you were right adv. My truck was detected heading south of the border about an hour after it was stolen. So it's a total loss short of a miracle. AirTags are going in everything now. Have a great trip.

first thing that goes in my vehicles is a fuel pump kill switch....but that blows lets hope you get lucky!

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2023 at 11:17 AM

Man, that sucks. An air tag is a good idea, I might do the same. I'll keep an eye out for a freshly spray painted Dodge while I'm there.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-3-2023 at 06:22 PM

Very sorry for your loss. Several gringos have had trucks stolen in our area of Mexico. It's always trucks. How was this "detection" accomplished?

Even if you get AirTags, who is going to help you recover a vehicle in Mexico?

The police? :lol:
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2023 at 07:45 PM

Lencho, that's a good question and point. Not sure what could be done, pay a cop to help? What could you do?
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2023 at 08:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Very sorry for your loss. Several gringos have had trucks stolen in our area of Mexico. It's always trucks. How was this "detection" accomplished?

Even if you get AirTags, who is going to help you recover a vehicle in Mexico?

The police? :lol:

Who’s going to help? Couple buddies.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2023 at 07:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
How was this "detection" accomplished?

License plate readers at the border
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2023 at 08:18 AM

Crime is just being tolerated more in California. Sad state of affairs.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2023 at 09:12 AM

Interest tidbit
Colorado for longer than I can remember has used tags stamped with raised letters. Those tags cannot be read clearly by the recognition cameras.
The result is new tags that are smooth and use reflective film
What is means is we all have to have the new tags supposedly when we renew our registration.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.