BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Now that Gaia has become a piece of garbage...
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 12-10-2023 at 01:55 PM
Now that Gaia has become a piece of garbage...

...What are you using?

Having a web based platform to plan on, turn different things on and off as needed as well as adding waypoints and tracks on mobile devices are all top priority.

Anything good out there these days that you can move over all the data from Gaia and continue on?

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2023 at 05:57 PM

Back Country Navigator. Love it.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2023 at 06:22 PM

OSMAND has been my go to for several years. Pretty easy to use and not much $$$.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2023 at 06:49 PM

Recording a track with hundreds of waypoints on it and then exporting it to take it into something else would work fine? As well as mapping tracks out on a computer and syncing it with a mobile device to use in the field? All the while keeping different things in different folders you can turn on and off?

[Edited on 12-11-2023 by Bajazly]

[Edited on 12-11-2023 by Bajazly]

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2023 at 06:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Back Country Navigator. Love it.

Recording a track with hundreds of waypoints on it and then exporting it to take it into something else would work fine? As well as mapping tracks out on a computer and syncing it with a mobile device to use in the field? All the while keeping different things in different folders you can turn on and off?

Not sure. I don't use it like that. They came out with a release about 2-3 years ago that I believe does a lot of that.

I do all my computer work on Google Earth and then import or export to/from BCN to use when riding. I have thousands of way points and hundreds of tracks in Google Earth.

Willy on here turned me on to it about 7-8 years ago.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2023 at 07:02 PM

I use GE the same way and it works great. I started using Gaia a few years ago for pre running and making notes of the course but need to get them out to a Lawrence GPS in the car for the race. Also would want to save waypoints when just out and about to get back to a place.

Looking at Caltopo but haven't messed with it much. It's ashamed Gaia turned to crap when Outside gobbled it up.

Harald Pietschmann

Bajazly, August 2019
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-10-2023 at 08:08 PM

what changed in GaiaGPS?

Harald Pietschmann
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2023 at 09:08 AM

It just kind of syncs up with mobile devices. I have everything turned off and the 1000 course shows up. So I deleted the course and all notes and that is the only thing that will show up. Support is a thing of the past since Outside bought them.

Harald Pietschmann

Bajazly, August 2019
aburruss
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2023 at 07:25 PM

I haven't used GAIA in a bit.. (life, family, sports, etc), so I can't comment.. but I really loved GAIA. "It just kinda of syncs up" sounds vague to me. I'll be out in a couple weeks and can test things out again...

I'd love to continue to use it.. JZ, weren't you a big proponent of Gaia? Now you're on to something else. What is better about Back Country over Gaia now?
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2023 at 08:14 PM

I have deleted all the stuff I don't want to see and upon sync, half of it is still there. I've logged out and back in more time than I can remember and only half the stuff I want and half the stuff I've deleted is there, Gaia used to be the chit but now it is just chit.

Sent multiple messages to support and got one response several days ago wanting screen shots, haven't heard diddly since snd I've sent other messages with more info.

Harald Pietschmann

Bajazly, August 2019
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2023 at 10:59 PM

cancelled my GaiaGPS subscription

INEGI maps are no longer available
only the crappy Gaia maps
I am out

Harald Pietschmann
towntaco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2023 at 07:33 AM

I started my most recent 5 year premium membership with Gaia in 2021 after using it for several years before that. Starting ~5 months ago the IOS app changed radically and it became MUCH more difficult to design and follow routes. At this point it's pretty much impossible to do so. I emailed them this morning asking to cancel my membership and get a partial refund for the remaining time. They could roll everything back to the Q3 2022 release and everyone would be happy again.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2023 at 08:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
cancelled my GaiaGPS subscription

INEGI maps are no longer available
only the crappy Gaia maps
I am out

well, I have to correct myself

you can no longer load INEGI maps (or at least I can no longer find that option)
the tiles that I have preloaded in recent years are all still in place and function well
I might stay with GaiaGPS

Harald Pietschmann
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2023 at 10:45 AM

Gaia GPS:
Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 09.43.22.png - 92kB
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2023 at 10:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by aburruss  
I haven't used GAIA in a bit.. (life, family, sports, etc), so I can't comment.. but I really loved GAIA. "It just kinda of syncs up" sounds vague to me. I'll be out in a couple weeks and can test things out again...

I'd love to continue to use it.. JZ, weren't you a big proponent of Gaia? Now you're on to something else. What is better about Back Country over Gaia now?

I've only used Gaia a tiny bit. I was saying it is good as I have seen so many good posters on hear talk well of it.

I have always been a big Back Country Navigator (BCN) user.

US 41
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2023 at 05:48 PM

I use my Rand McNally Road Atlas, my Garmin GPS, and Google Maps.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2023 at 06:42 PM

I've been using Gaia for 10+ years and it's served me well. I don't like its interface for creating maps, but I really like the CalTopo interface. Therefore I create maps on CalTopo, then import to the iPad in the truck for navigation.

My CalTopo created tracks, waypoints in red:
Screenshot-2023-12-13-at-17.35.50.jpg - 195kB

My Gaia GPS breadcrumbs are pink:
IMG_3025.jpg - 195kB
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2023 at 08:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
I've been using Gaia for 10+ years and it's served me well. I don't like its interface for creating maps, but I really like the CalTopo interface. Therefore I create maps on CalTopo, then import to the iPad in the truck for navigation.

My CalTopo created tracks, waypoints in red:

My Gaia GPS breadcrumbs are pink:

how do you combine CalTopo (INEGI maps) with Gaia?

Harald Pietschmann
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2023 at 09:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
how do you combine CalTopo (INEGI maps) with Gaia?

In CalTopo click the Export button and export the file as GeoJSON, KLM, GPX, or KML Network Link for Google Earth. Then import the appropriate file into Gaia. The background maps you use, eg INEGI, are up to you.
BeachSeeker
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2024 at 03:28 PM

I switched to OnX Offroad when I realized Gaia was broken and there was no support. The only negative of OnX is that is only has a few map types, but I only use offline sat maps.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.