BajaNomad

Baja Nomads Searching for a Lost Mission and finding so much more!

David K - 12-12-2014 at 05:38 PM

One of the great things the Baja Internet does is bring us Baja nuts together on adventures. Baja is a land of mystery and adventure, and it doesn't take a lot of effort to drive a few hours and be in the middle of it all!

IT'S QUALITY, NOT QUANTITY of Baja trips you can have that makes the best memories.

A little over 3 years ago, with some satellite image hints provided by Baja Nomad member 'elbeau', we had a chance to search for one of the most famous LOST MISSIONs in Baja California, Santa Isabel!

No official record ever mentions it, but the legend was born following the quick round-up of all the Jesuit priests from the peninsula at the end of 1767 and their forced removal across the Sea of Cortez in February, 1768.

When the Spanish authorities found only impoverished churches and no gold, pearls or silver (other than altar pieces), it was deemed that the Jesuits received advanced warning of their removal and created one final secret mission to hide the treasures they must have collected in their 72 years on the California peninsula.... a mission named Santa Isabel.

Nomads dtbushpilot, XRPhlang, BAJACAT, bajalou, David K, El Vergel, TW (and his brother Bill) met up along the way and at the campsite location where the vehicles could go no further (Arroyo el Volcán, 2 miles from El Mármol, the onyx mine).

Please enjoy a first or repeat look at the many photos and story, and I hope it inspires you to seek an adventure in Baja, or at least dream of one at home!

SEE: Desert Adventure, Interesting Geology, The Lost Mission site, Barite and Onyx mines, a COLD water geyser, and much more...

PART 1: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52696

PART 2: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52735

PART 3: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52779

PART 4: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52804

PART 5: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52833

PART 6: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52864

This was bajalou's final Baja adventure before he left this world for another, we miss Lou and his great enthusiasm he had for Baja!

The 2011 Lost Mission Hunters

David K - 12-13-2014 at 08:11 AM

'bajalou' (Lou) and 'BAJACAT' (José)

'XRPhlang' (Phil) and 'dtbushpilot' (David)

'El Vergel' (Vern), Bill W and 'TW' (Tom)

David K

TMW - 12-13-2014 at 12:30 PM

That was a fun and exciting trip.

David K - 12-13-2014 at 01:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
That was a fun and exciting trip.

Indeed... and good exercise too!

We have more lost missions (Santa Clara), lost graves (Melchoir Diaz), and many mysteries to solve!

elfbrewery - 12-13-2014 at 01:28 PM

Are there rooms at any of the ranchos on the way to the geyser? Sounds like a real hoot to go see it. Any guesses as to when it goes off?
Great inspirational report. Gotta get out more.

AKgringo - 12-13-2014 at 03:18 PM

Thanks for posting the links, it is good to put faces to user names I have seen so often. I can also stop visualizing Indiana Jones type characters when I read of your exploits, heck, you guys look like me!

David K - 12-13-2014 at 06:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elfbrewery  
Are there rooms at any of the ranchos on the way to the geyser? Sounds like a real hoot to go see it. Any guesses as to when it goes off?
Great inspirational report. Gotta get out more.

There are no ranchos along the way, except for Rancho (Cafe) Sonora, which is next to the turnoff on Hwy. 1 for food, onyx gifts, etc. The other nearby ranches are working farms or cattle ranches, along the old main road.

No idea when the geyser erupts other than 'monthly'. One would have to be so lucky to witness an eruption!

Baja Cactus Motel is the Nomad lodge of choice (owned by a Nomad too), if you don't camp. Located in El Rosario, just over an hour on Hwy. 1 away. The Hotel Mision Cataviña and Cabanas Linda is even closer in Cataviña, maybe less than a half hour away, the other direction.

David K - 12-13-2014 at 06:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Thanks for posting the links, it is good to put faces to user names I have seen so often. I can also stop visualizing Indiana Jones type characters when I read of your exploits, heck, you guys look like me!

You got that right!

HERE'S THE STORY...
We are Baja Brothers and Sisters who believe in friendship, exploration, helping each other, helping the people of Baja! Like any big family, there are spats among us, but for those who want to get along we can respect our differences for a more enjoyable life. I have met, camped, partied, and worked with so many folks I have met on the Internet first, then in person later.

If you want to see what many Nomads look like, enjoy the photos taken at camping events (BBBB, 2001-2002 and Matomi Gang, 2001-2004), my Viva Baja parties (2000-2003), The Pyramid Resort Book Signings (2003-2008), Baja Cactus events in Tijuana and El Rosario (2004-2007).

Before we were Baja Nomads (2002+), we were Amigos de Baja members (up to 2003).

Here is the very first get together organized by Timothy Walker and myself to meet each other and anyone else who wanted to... at the San Clemente Pier in Feb. 2000:

Giesla Van Bree, Mike Humfreville, Mary Ann Humfreville, Graham Mackintosh.

Graham Mackintosh, Michelle (M).

Lorenzo de Baja (LdB) arrives.

El Gato Loco (egl/ Matt) and Baja Barb and Norm of BajaLinks.com

Ferna de Tijuana (FdT)

Jens (Yens) of Baja-Web.com and his guest.

Whistler (Glenn)

Also there was Timothy Walker (TimsBaja.com), Carlos Fiesta (BajaExpo.com), GregN (Baja Fever author), and Dick Van Bree (BajaLinks.com)... sadly, I didn't get their photos on my little camera.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of those who attended, elgatoloco, Whistler, fdt (Ferna de Tijuana), Graham, GregN, and David K are still active on the forums and Dick Van Bree still is hosting Baja web sites.

I was strongly requested to do another get together, and before the year was over, I hosted Viva Baja (#1)... and that's when I met Doug (Baja Nomad) and many more web site hosts who accepted my invitation to Baja web site managers, Baja business owners, Baja book authors, and Baja enthusiasts: http://www.vivabaja.com/vivabaja/index.html

We held the even at a restaurant, served dinner and drinks, had door prizes to give away, did a Baja 'show and tell', had some video clips, it was just a super event.

Viva Baja #2, in 2001 was even bigger, more prizes too: http://www.vivabaja.com/vivabaja2/index.html

Viva Baja #3 had over 100 attendees this time at a restaurant in Oceanside we had for the whole day, also some short films added in: http://www.vivabaja.com/vivabaja3/index.html

Viva Baja #4 was a bit smaller by design, but still a full house in Capistrano Beach: http://www.vivabaja.com/vivabaja4/index.html

In 2006, I helped Antonio (Baja Cactus) promote and host a tour and dinner in Tijuana, we called Viva Baja Cactus: http://www.vivabaja.com/vivabajacactus/index.html
Met many new Nomads and my future co-author, Max Kurillo of 6 years later!

The BBBB and Matomi and Pyramid Resort event photos are all linked on my home page: http://vivabaja.com (the newer web site name came after my first parties, thanks to Doug who secured it...)

[Edited on 12-14-2014 by David K]

Gulliver - 12-13-2014 at 09:13 PM

Currently the mine past El Volcan, La Olividada, has been activated and there is all sorts of activity from Rt. 1 all the way to the onyx mine and beyond.

The effect of this is that, on one hand, the road beyond the onyx mine may be much improved but, on the other hand, you might get run over by some giant truck on the way.

As of late October this year they were still at it.

Barbara and I rode to the geyser a few years ago on motorcycles. There were some significant washouts just past El Marmol. She stood back as I looked down the hole. I'm still here!

GregN - 12-14-2014 at 09:37 AM

David. You forgot me. I was living in San Clemente at the time and suggested the restaurant. I too was there.

David K - 12-14-2014 at 10:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by GregN  
David. You forgot me. I was living in San Clemente at the time and suggested the restaurant. I too was there.

OMG yes! I wish I had more photos to help my memory... After the daytime meeting on the pier, we went to the Mexican restaurant. Graham Mackintosh rode up there with me, and I forgot we had another Baja book author in attendance, you!

After that meeting you went to work on the next book, and even used a story I had heard in Baja later that year, in the new book...

David K - 12-14-2014 at 12:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
Currently the mine past El Volcan, La Olividada, has been activated and there is all sorts of activity from Rt. 1 all the way to the onyx mine and beyond.

The effect of this is that, on one hand, the road beyond the onyx mine may be much improved but, on the other hand, you might get run over by some giant truck on the way.

As of late October this year they were still at it.

Barbara and I rode to the geyser a few years ago on motorcycles. There were some significant washouts just past El Marmol. She stood back as I looked down the hole. I'm still here!

Correct, the barite mined at La Olvidada is important in the oil drilling business! They had graded the road from El Marmol to La Olvidada just before our 2011 expedition. In Part 3 of the trip report, we all went to the end of the road at La Olvidada. Great view down to the islands south of Puertecitos.

We heard that the mine company would build a road down to Hwy. 5, way below... El Huerfanito/ Okie Landing area... that would be a perfect short cut for autos, if open to the public.

BajaBlanca - 12-14-2014 at 01:48 PM

It is always fun to put a pic to a name.

Great thread!

dtbushpilot - 12-14-2014 at 03:19 PM

I'm about ready for a new adventure, I've spent all the money I got for my share of the Padre gold....oh wait, was I supposed to keep that a secret? Never mind.....

Gulliver - 12-14-2014 at 03:20 PM

I wondered what they were mining there. The Almanac has the old mine labelled 'Oro'. Different gold in them thar hills these days.

David K - 12-14-2014 at 03:24 PM

Almanac error. Barite was originally mentioned in the 1990s. Baja has other barite mines. One used to be near Camalu 50+ years ago.

elbeau - 12-15-2014 at 02:25 PM

DK, after all these years and now that you've spent all the treasure, don't you think it's time to tell everyone the truth about what you found at Rancho Elbeau?:

:yes:

All joking aside, the group that actually made the trip based on my overzealous use of Google Earth deserves a special place in Nomad history. While it taught me how to eat a little humble pie and not place too much credibility on Google Earth's "Zoom" button, it also showed me that there are still adventurous people in this world. All of you are completely awesome!

Barry A. - 12-15-2014 at 02:42 PM

----------I heard that David K moved to new digs, but never imagined THIS !!!!!! Your secret is OUT !!!

Barry

David K - 12-15-2014 at 03:51 PM

This is all I need, but thanks!

elbeau - 12-15-2014 at 04:16 PM

What Lies Beneath:

David K - 12-15-2014 at 04:32 PM

:light: Now you went and gave away my treasure location! The lost pearl ship of the desert didn't beach itself in Laguna Salada or the Salton Sink!!! Yup Shell Island is the real Treasure Island!

wilderone - 12-21-2014 at 09:44 AM

"Currently the mine past El Volcan, La Olividada, has been activated and there is all sorts of activity from Rt. 1 all the way to the onyx mine and beyond. The effect of this is that, on one hand, the road beyond the onyx mine may be much improved but, on the other hand, you might get run over by some giant truck on the way."

These posts from the past are history now. The effect of the road paving for trucks and machinery to work the Olividada mine has mercilessly changed the terrain, adding dirt berms to either side, high dirt berms that block two-track roads that you can't get to now, there are trucks and hoses sucking water out of the spring water pools, roads to the pools where none were before - only picturesque occotillo and elephant trees; the camp sites at the intersection with the pools are obliterated and/or blocked with dirt berms (who'd want to camp there now anyway with huge, noisy trucks rumbling by kicking up dust); there are pictographs and "sleeping circles" in this area - so much for protecting historically sensitive areas. Once a fascinating destination for naturalists, campers and explorers - now a disappointment. My consolation is that I spent a few days here on 3 different occasions and have wonderful memories.

David K - 12-21-2014 at 10:42 AM

Yep, and some will say nothing about the Mexican road builders but harp on a few motorbike riders using a trail that has been obliterated in other areas by such bulldozers! :rolleyes:

Cindi, when was your last time in Arroyo El Volcan?

I know you have a AWD Subaru and were there before the trip described above. In our larger 4WD trucks, there was no problem driving into the wash from the new grading and berms created by it.

Thank you... El Volcan has been one of my favorite Baja spots to visit since my first time in 1974.

wilderone - 12-21-2014 at 01:42 PM

I was there a couple years ago - I was going to hike to the Rancho Elbeau site and post a sign; appalled at the destruction at El Volcan - wasn't even able to park off the main road they made because of the dirt berm; then turned around and left. I took photos and posted here.

wilderone - 12-21-2014 at 01:44 PM

Here's the link

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=58676#pid7034...

David K - 12-21-2014 at 09:54 PM

Thanks Cindi...

We may not like graded or paved roads and mining in our fun places to visit once a year or two, but Mexico needs to do what it needs to do, and it is their country. It would be nice if the Valle de los Cirios was a preserve of some sort, but other than lots of signs, I am not sure how good a job the government there is doing to preserve Baja's Natural wonders?

wilderone - 12-22-2014 at 08:03 AM

"but Mexico needs to do what it needs to do, and it is their country"
How many are profiting from the Olividada mine operations? Is it worth the destruction of historical places? the ruination of valuable animal watering holes? Mowing down flora that is hundreds of years old? And in the same area, families from El Rosario have chopped down countless agave to sell to landscapers. I have personally witnessed and talked to these people - piles of agave stalks loaded into trucks. Do the Olividada miners own the agave? The road to the mine? Is it theirs to perpetually change?

fishbuck - 12-22-2014 at 09:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by elbeau  
What Lies Beneath:

I knew DavidK was looking for the Lost Dutchman's mine. The whole mission thing was just a cover story.:coolup:

David K - 12-22-2014 at 10:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
"but Mexico needs to do what it needs to do, and it is their country"
How many are profiting from the Olividada mine operations? Is it worth the destruction of historical places? the ruination of valuable animal watering holes? Mowing down flora that is hundreds of years old? And in the same area, families from El Rosario have chopped down countless agave to sell to landscapers. I have personally witnessed and talked to these people - piles of agave stalks loaded into trucks. Do the Olividada miners own the agave? The road to the mine? Is it theirs to perpetually change?

The agaves are not for landscapers, they are not all dug up for replanting. They are for the shampoo and beauty industry! It is a shame they are not harvesting from plantations but instead from the back country... again the "so-called" Valle de los Cirios reserve!

Some photos I took back in 2006, near Los Martires/ El Arenoso, east of El Rosario... note the caption, from http://vivabaja.com/406

Yucca trees are being chopped out of the desert for the cosmetic/ personal care industry.

4x4abc - 12-22-2014 at 11:18 AM

let's not forget the illegal charcoal pits - thousands of ancient mesquite trees are turned into BBQ fuel for backyard adventurers

Baja is not only raped by real estate developers

rts551 - 12-22-2014 at 05:28 PM

nor the Gringos driving across the desert complaining about the Mexicans

rts551 - 12-22-2014 at 05:35 PM

how ironic....if a reserve like the biosphere was set up...David could not drive in the Desert or on the beach.

David K - 12-22-2014 at 05:50 PM

You really have nothing better to do than follow me around and talk smack? You are involved in off road racing but have some issue with a few people on a casual desert ride... really?

rts551 - 12-22-2014 at 08:08 PM

yes. way better things to do than follow you around. went fishing, caught a couple of nice corvina...then went for a quad ride. what did you do besides play with yourself. You absolutely do not get it (surprise, surprise)... lets hope that mexico saves there desert for more than a few gringos wanting a play ground.

wilderone - 12-23-2014 at 08:17 AM

There are several biosphere preserves. The SCORE people drive through them. A pristine desert environment is more than a playground - and such a place is for everyone to enjoy, regardless of nationality. It is the responsibility of the people where it is situated to be responsible stewards of the land.

paulb87 - 12-23-2014 at 08:30 AM

Elite.... Grow up and play with yourself.... your comments are nothing more than schoolyard bullying.... feliz navidad

David K - 12-23-2014 at 10:18 AM

Hi Paul, and welcome to Baja Nomad. It can be tough here. The Elite part is the Nomad User Rank, the person's Nomad name is just above that. Now you can grow your numbers not only posting about Baja, but by following others here and making comments about what they post!
:lol:

Newbie 0 Posts
Junior Nomad * 25 Posts
Nomad ** 100 Posts
Senior Nomad *** 500 Posts
Super Nomad **** 1000 Posts
Ultra Nomad ***** 2000 Posts
Elite Nomad ****** 3000 Posts
Select Nomad ******* 6000 Posts
Platinum Nomad ******** 12000 Posts
Honored Nomad ********* 26000 Posts

rts551 - 12-23-2014 at 10:34 AM

Ahhhh the hen house grows.

rts551 - 12-23-2014 at 10:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
There are several biosphere preserves. The SCORE people drive through them. A pristine desert environment is more than a playground - and such a place is for everyone to enjoy, regardless of nationality. It is the responsibility of the people where it is situated to be responsible stewards of the land.

yes there are. and you must get permission to drive through them. This year SCORE did not get final approval to go through the Vizcaino biosphere and is facing a large fine. I suspect they will now have even more problems next time.

David K - 12-23-2014 at 11:03 AM

How does "permission" change anything... the vehicles (SCORE or general public) still driving on dirt roads... ??

DianaT - 12-23-2014 at 03:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
How does "permission" change anything... the vehicles (SCORE or general public) still driving on dirt roads... ??

They need the official permission because of the potential damage to the surrounding areas, and they expect certain rules to be followed.

They have stopped the building of paved roads when certain permissions and rules were not followed and fined the contractors.

They do not have the staff to always enforce all of the rules, but they try with the limited staff they have. And they have given permission for other races, so it is not like they just want to stop it.

El Sauz - 12-23-2014 at 06:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  

They need the official permission because of the potential damage to the surrounding areas, and they expect certain rules to be followed.

They have stopped the building of paved roads when certain permissions and rules were not followed and fined the contractors.

They do not have the staff to always enforce all of the rules, but they try with the limited staff they have. And they have given permission for other races, so it is not like they just want to stop it.

INAH has the same problem.
This is why it is so important we all be good stewards when visiting.

Marc - 12-23-2014 at 06:47 PM

Good Old Times!

David K - 12-24-2014 at 11:02 AM

Being good stewards/ good campers is primary! Never leave anything at your camp that wasn't there before, and if possible take out other trash that someone else didn't bother to.

If you can carry it in full, how is possible to not carry out out empty???

There is no doubt that with the cost to enter a race in Baja being upwards of $5,000 that some funds should go to re-habitation of the course after the race. Be it to collect all the beer bottles the locals leave when they go back home or to scrape the road if chewed up worse than before.

The real problem I think is that this money IS collected and paid to the Mexican authorities who are supposed to have this work done!?

Your argument with Off Road Racing should not be with the racing contestants but with the government people who pocket the money. Permits are as ridic u l o u s if you think issuing them somehow makes less damage than not issuing them... like a bad tax, you are just making one person poorer and another richer, while the work doesn't get done.

In the end, Baja off roading (racing or just fun rides) really brings in the money to the people of Baja. So many who came to race over the years have returned to see more of Baja at a slower pace, to invest in vacation homes there, and more.

[Edited on 12-24-2014 by David K]

rts551 - 12-24-2014 at 11:27 AM

You just keep on and you have no clue. Stay with what you know pls. The approval is not about money, its about reviewing the course and approving the route and then paying for any damage. My son was a driver this last race and saw plenty of damage....enough to where only half the cars finished. I have also been a part of the approval process here for local races. The damage the 1000 caused without reparations caused us to lose our route for the Pacifico 300 last week. so stop with the no-Know-all lectures. driving on the beach with pictures of your tire tracks is not being a good steward.

Being good stewards/ good campers is primary! Never leave anything at your camp that wasn't there before, and if possible take out other trash that someone else didn't bother to.

There is no doubt that with the cost to enter a race in Baja being upwards of $5,000 that some funds should go to re-habitation of the course after the race. Be it to collect all the beer bottles the locals leave when they go back home or to scrape the road if chewed up worse than before.

The real problem I think is that this money IS collected and paid to the Mexican authorities who are supposed to have this work done!?

Your argument with Off Road Racing should not be with the racing contestants but with the government people who pocket the money. Permits are as ridic u l o u s if you think issuing them somehow makes less damage than not issuing them... like a bad tax, you are just making one person poorer and another richer, while the work doesn't get done.

In the end, Baja off roading (racing or just fun rides) really brings in the money to the people of Baja. So many who came to race over the years have returned to see more of Baja at a slower pace, to invest in vacation homes there, and more.

DianaT - 12-24-2014 at 12:08 PM

And before the race, it was known that the proper environmental permits had not been obtained.

http://www.elvigia.net/general/2014/11/6/sigue-baja-permiso-...

And David, unless you really know for sure that this was the fault of some Mexican official who pocketed the money, why would you state that?

Baja and Mexico are moving forward in working to protect their reserves --- under staffed and a work in progress, but the permits needed to be obtained. And not obtaining the proper permits only serves to harm future races.

This is not about defending or not defending off-road races, it is about respecting the laws of another country or paying the price for not doing so.

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
You just keep on and you have no clue. Stay with what you know pls. The approval is not about money, its about reviewing the course and approving the route and then paying for any damage. My son was a driver this last race and saw plenty of damage....enough to where only half the cars finished. I have also been a part of the approval process here for local races. The damage the 1000 caused without reparations caused us to lose our route for the Pacifico 300 last week. so stop with the no-Know-all lectures. driving on the beach with pictures of your tire tracks is not being a good steward.

[Edited on 12-24-2014 by DianaT]

David K - 12-24-2014 at 03:13 PM

Reality, it isn't a hard concept to understand.

Fees are paid for restoration/ cleanup.

Do they happen, and if not whose fault is it?

Trust people, not government agencies.