Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7
Author: Subject: Loreto Desalination
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 08:37 PM

seems like the anti development been blaming Lb for green washing.
well this thread proves that the anti LB are definatly black washing unfoundedly what ever LB might come up with
pure speculational
the scientific studys are based on the you cant trust anyone as so well proclamed by the old hippie lol:o:o

jerry and judi
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldhippie

I don't think anybody, except possibly the poorest people, in Mexico drinks tap water. When I moved here my tap water drinking dogs had diarrhea for the first couple of months.

Maybe I have new diet to sell. The Mexican tap water diet. Drink a quart a day and watch the pounds flush away.

When we moved to San Lucas cove, south of Santa Rosalia, they had water which was pumped from the deep wells at Palo Verde and was headed for Santa Rosalia. Except for some minerals, the water was actually pretty good and we drank it for the whole winter with no problems. Then I finagled a tour of the well plants and asked about the chlorinator that I saw and the guy said, "oh yeah, that has been broken for a year or more, but we have the parts on order".
In our small system in the mountains of Colorado, we are required by law to monitor continously and if we fall below a certain level we have to shut down the system.
So that 8 pesos per bottle for treated water started looking pretty good.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 06:06 AM

in mulege ... thursday before 2pm the purified water is 2 for one...
50 gallons of purified water was $6.60 US last week

we don't drink that much water but the "boys" do...
we've been freezing water in plastic trays for the decanter base
the "boys" love cold water

there also is a clorinator at the "bulk" pump in mulege and it makes noise like it's working

i don't know too much about water treatment but the thing looks like it's "spittin" something in

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
It will be interesting to see what the approved plans are in regards to plant capacity and waste disposal method.

Also interesting is this conversion factor: 6,600 kWh of electricity per acre-foot of water produced. 1.0 acre foot = 325,851 gallons.

Energy usage sounds high. I have seen an 2007 FS for an RO desal project in Dana Pt that would produce 15 MGD for energy usage of 3,800 kwh/af, and have water cost of $1,290/af. By the way, you can put that $1,290/af cost in perspective if you consider that imported water in so cal costs about 600/af, and well water costs about $200/af. (costs do not include treatment/final distribution)

Desal water can be returned to ocean quite safely if discharge is diffused - such is planned for Encina desal project. Undergound injection is feasible too, but more expensive.

Thanks for the numbers, they are hard to come by. Looks like your numbers say desal is a little more than 6 times expensive than well water. Is that before or after the MWD subsidy I read about somewhere?

The engineers that studied the Loreto application concluded that disposal should be achieved on land and using injection wells. The implication being that the dilution factor needed can't be achieved in that area of the Sea of Cortez. Therefore, due to the injection wells, the cost will be higher in Loreto.

I just read that the cost per gallon increases as the plant size decreases. Economies of scale are lost on small plants. I image the Dana Point plant will be quite a bit larger than the Loreto plant. So the Loreto water will be more expensive again.

It also seems that because all of this is so relatively new, the engineers haven't decided upon a uniform set of physical units to use when describing the desal process, which makes it difficult to make sense of anything. acre-feet vs. kilogallons is an example. Also, cost is measured differently between plants. This is fundamental stuff that needs to be determined.

Is Loreto Bay going to power this plant with its yet to be built wind turbines on the other side of the peninsula? Hope so, because between 30% and 50% of the cost is due to electricity (evil fossil fuel) consumption. If not evil, difficult to predict in terms of how much more it's going to cost as time goes on.

Considering the high cost of output water due to inefficient small plants, like what I would guess the Loreto plant will be, and the requirement to use the most expensive disposal methods, maybe a gallon of water that now costs 10 pesos will cost 100 pesos.

But the craziest thing is, nobody seems to really know.

This looks like a good read, I started at page 39 and read maybe 10 pages. It's 100 pages.

http://www.pacinst.org/reports/desalination/desalination_rep...

oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 08:30 AM

The high cost of fossil fuel derived energy and the carbon pollution problem associated with it's conversion to electricity is a problem without desal. So let's throw in the vital, massively used, and problematic resource of water and burn more fossil fuels to get it. Sounds dumb to me.

Also, the rational that is being used, at least in California, is the scarcity of water and the disruption in its supply that could occur after an earthquake, due to aqueduct damage I guess. But, many analysts think that if more water is made available via desal, more people will come, and we'll be right back to where we were.

I still stand by my initial statement in the first post of this thread. Desalination should not be done unless it is needed; that is, there are thirsty people around. Loreto Bay is doing it to bring more people into the area. That doesn't make sense.

This reminds me of the early 50s when nuclear power was being advertised as too cheap to meter. Yeah, right.

Drinking water from the ocean, what could be better? Yeah, right.

[Edited on 8-15-2007 by oldhippie]

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
The engineers that studied the Loreto application concluded that disposal should be achieved on land and using injection wells. The implication being that the dilution factor needed can't be achieved in that area of the Sea of Cortez. Therefore, due to the injection wells, the cost will be higher in Loreto.

I was at the meeting in mid March where the engineering company stated that disposal of the waste should not be done off Loreto into the sea. They did discuss the lack of current necessary to dispurse of the concentrated waste properly and the fact that this is a Marine Park off our shores. The head of the Loreto Marine Park also stated at that meeting that according to the rules of the Park the disposal of waste into the Park is unlawful.

Quote:
I just read that the cost per gallon increases as the plant size decreases. Economies of scale are lost on small plants. I image the Dana Point plant will be quite a bit larger than the Loreto plant. So the Loreto water will be more expensive again.

also keep in mind that the Sea of Cortez has a higher salt content than the Pacific Ocean and other oceanic bodies of water so we canīt expect the yield of product (pure water) to be 50% of starting material (salt water), we must expect it to be lower thus increasing the final cost of the product even further.

Quote:
I still stand by my initial statement in the first post of this thread. Desalination should not be done unless it is needed; that is, there are thirsty people around. Loreto Bay is doing it to bring more people into the area. That doesn't make sense.

No this does not make any sense at all, does it! There isnīt enough known economically, socially, environmentally to move forward with this proposal. Even the proposals are incomplete and resemble sales pitches instead of sound scientific information.

Now iīll read those articles on desal further.

[Edited on 8-15-2007 by flyfishinPam]
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 04:28 PM

Quote:

This looks like a good read, I started at page 39 and read maybe 10 pages. It's 100 pages.

http://www.pacinst.org/reports/desalination/desalination_rep...

OK copied and will take home to read in the hammock. From what I skimmed through thereīs a LOT of useful information here. the other report on seawater desal in California is a great source too. Thanks for posting these links!
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.