Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Back from DF:applying for mexican citizenship
rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 08:03 AM

Dave - you are probably right, but my FM3s have long since and very happily vanished into the depths of the Dept of Foreign Affairs . . . I just remember the panic when I realize Immigration now had my old FM3 and the easiest legal proof of tenure.
Mexrick
Junior Nomad

Mood: Still a bit soggy!!!

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 09:00 PM

DF= Districto Federal (Mexico City)

Rick - MeT
Live Where You Play
Mulegé, BCS, Mexico
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 10-3-2007 at 08:38 AM

Can you apply for citizenship after holding an FM-3 for five years, or must you do another 5 with an FM-2? And what exactly is "immigrado" status?

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-3-2007 at 08:56 AM

You can apply after 5 years no problema....not sure what immigrado means..ask Alonso his email is alonsobaja@prodigy.net.mx he is our agent and speaks english...good man

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-3-2007 at 09:18 AM

Bajamigo,,
From what I have been able to learn about Inmigrado is that you have all the rights of a Mexican National except the right to vote. One other thing if you have Inmigrado status you cannot drive a foreign plated car, it can be confiscated. But if you have had the vehicle for the last five years you can petition the Gov. to use the car with foreign plates.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
edinnopolo
Nomad

Mood: laid back

[*] posted on 10-3-2007 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Bajamigo,,
From what I have been able to learn about Inmigrado is that you have all the rights of a Mexican National except the right to vote. One other thing if you have Inmigrado status you cannot drive a foreign plated car, it can be confiscated. But if you have had the vehicle for the last five years you can petition the Gov. to use the car with foreign plates.

Wife and I are inmigrados. True what Comitan states, but also includes, besides the unability to vote, the "NO" owning property outright . So, still need a fideo, no matter what. We were not properly informed.:(:(

Blessed be the flexible for they shall not bend out of shape.
Tiomiguel
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2007 at 03:52 PM
Canadian Mexican Citizenship

There is no problem with Canadian citizenship and Mexican. Canada like most countries of the world allows this and there is no requirement to file tax returns in Canada when you are a non-resident. She can come back to Canada whenever she wants no problema. The US is literally the only major country in the world that taxes its citizens regardless of where they reside. So you always have that tax return to file, even if you have no taxes that might be payable in the US.
Hope it comes through for you Shari.
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 10-3-2007 at 07:34 PM

You are most correct Edinnopolo, As an Inmigrado, you still can't own property or vote and you are still required to report to Immigration all changes in your life, such as if you move, change jobs, do volunteer work, etc.

Still, with the Inmigrado status you are one step closer to becoming Nacionalizado as a Citizen if that is your desire to do so. Upon becoming naturalized, you have all rights as a Mexican except I don't think you can run for a political office.
Mexrick
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2007 at 09:15 AM

The reason you can't run for political office- at least for some of them- is that the office requires that the candidate be a Mexican citizen by birth. No naturalization allowed.

Rick - MeT
Live Where You Play
Mulegé, BCS, Mexico
Mexrick
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2007 at 09:25 AM

Just in case anyone is interested, the process to naturalize has changed a bit. I heard stories about having to complete a 50 question test and sing the National Anthem of Mexico. Maybe so in La Paz (where they have always been a pain in the posterior) but not in DF. You are not given a Spanish speaking test but you need to know some Spanish just to complete the process. You are given a test consisting of five written questions (in Spanish, of course) that deal with the history, ecology, geography, culture, etc. of Mexico. Study things like where the Monarch butterflies are from, where the pyramids are located, they type of government Mexico has, who the President is, countries to the north and south of Mexico, etc.

It's not difficult... just the usual red tape. An attorney is a definite asset!!!

Rick - MeT
Live Where You Play
Mulegé, BCS, Mexico
rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 08:12 AM

Mexrick nailed it - avoid the La Paz office if you possibly can!

DF is where everything is done anyway - the place to go for minimum hassle, greater speed of processing.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.