Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Dog still sick since our return from Baja
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 07:41 PM
Thank You, Mrs. fdt

This is very valuable and well-explained info.

Our dogs (children) trust and depend on us to protect them.

[Edited on 11-3-2007 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
MrsFDT
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2007 at 05:25 PM

Thanks Gypsy, but I do always stress that one should always talk to their vet before doing anything suggested by others. (including myself).

I do what I need to do for my own and have the background as well as the support from my own vet to do it with. So in short I also talk to my vet first when in doubt.

Following FDT wherever the Baja wind takes him.... That is, if its going in the same direction I am.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2007 at 07:27 PM

Thank you, MrsFDT for your thoughtful post. I bookmarked it in my computer in case we ever need it for Fillmore

Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 11-4-2007 at 07:42 PM

Glad to say, I gave her some childrens Kaopectate (like pepto for kids) and cooked up some rice. She is great, my mom had her for the weekend, as we were out of town, and she was running around like a lunatic, and no more runs!!!!

DrTom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2007 at 08:28 PM

last year, a client of mine, emailed me about his dog that had diarrhea in mexico. Turned out he had an intestinal foreign body-obstruction. Dog died. In the time his owners were treating the diarrhea with various remedies, the bowel perforated and he died. I just cant emphasize enough the need to contact a professional in these circumstances. One problem in rural mexico and baja is that not many vets have xrays or ultrasound equipment/expertise. Dealing with a foreign body/obstruction often is straightforward, but differentiating between viral/parasitic/stress colitis and an obstruction isnt always easy.
fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2007 at 08:46 PM

bajagypsy, please listen to drtom, take her to see the a doctor.

sbwontoo
DrTom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2007 at 08:21 AM

oh, bajagypsy's dog is probably ok now, I just gave that last reply so that future nomads reviewing this site, in an effort to address their dog's gastrointestinal issues, are informed that where most diarrheas are from dietary indescretion and stress, many are not. Problem with diarrhea (besides the obvious) is that lots of diseases have diarrhea as one of the symptoms-an intestinal foriegn body being one of the most dangerous where time is of the essence. BTW parvo isnt as virulent as it used to be and I havent seen it kill a dog in years if addressed.
MrsFDT
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2007 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTom
oh, bajagypsy's dog is probably ok now, I just gave that last reply so that future nomads reviewing this site, in an effort to address their dog's gastrointestinal issues, are informed that where most diarrheas are from dietary indescretion and stress, many are not. Problem with diarrhea (besides the obvious) is that lots of diseases have diarrhea as one of the symptoms-an intestinal foriegn body being one of the most dangerous where time is of the essence. BTW parvo isnt as virulent as it used to be and I havent seen it kill a dog in years if addressed.

Thank you DrTom and you are quite correct. welll.... um duh your a vet and dont just play one on TV....

I did have a talk with Gypsy privately and off the board to clerify what symptoms were accompanied by the diareah.

However it didnt occour to me that others in the future may read this and take out of context what is written in this case and try to use antidiareal meds to stomp out symptoms that may very well be something else entirely.

My comments were given in special circumstance. Most people are average pet owners. So I want to, for the record of future readers clerify, that I do a lot of things for my dogs concerning theyre health that most would or should not do, because I have the training and experiance to recognize and assess whats going on with a phisical exam. When in doubt after my own inicial assesment, my first call is to my vet.

No Im not just a breeder. That has only been recent in the last few years. My interest in breeding came from my facination with genetics and that stemed from the why's of disease with particular breeds. Ect. Which started in the 80's working in an animal hospital. I could go on.... years beyond that, But I wont.

I think its important to mention this here because what works for me may not be what your dog needs.

Like what DrTom said there are many symptoms than can come from one or more causes and unless you know what your looking for you NEED to call someone who does know.

Not to you Gypsy at this point, but to future readers that may pull this thread from the net.

[Edited on 11-5-2007 by MrsFDT]

Following FDT wherever the Baja wind takes him.... That is, if its going in the same direction I am.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.