Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Baja crime and corruption
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 11-22-2007 at 03:14 PM

Doug, thanks for the reply(ies).

Once again, I understand where you are coming from, and once again, I'm not buying. :lol:

Here's why:

The business people you speak of are small businesses. I really don't believe they have enough influence to cause change in that system. I'm guessing that when it comes to this level of violence and corruption they are victims as much as anyone else.

I am also doubtful of how much positive influence for change they can bring. Negative influence, as in participating in the corruption is another matter - that potential is probably unlimited.

I have practives the "blend in" philosophy for years - in Mexico and other parts of the world. Not for safety, necessarily, it's just the way I like to travel. But, let's face it when I drive down the road, I am a gringo, and a magnet. No way to change that, short of the pizza chit deal (and, let me point out that the originator of that perspective now drives a Taco and is a magnet like everyone else).

My perspective is that when things reach this level of, there's really little anyone can do, including the ordinary citizens of Mexico. It's going to take a concerted effort on the part of the Federal Government, to fix this. The army, or the police, if not corrupted. It's going to take firepower. It's going to take a clear, violent message that this stuff will not be tolerated, and a price will be paid.

I am not so naive to believe that this is easy to put together, for countless reasons. But it's the ruling class in Mexico that will have to fix this problem - and make no mistake that there is one. When there are sufficient economic reasons to do so, they will.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-22-2007 at 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
The business people you speak of are small businesses. I really don't believe they have enough influence to cause change in that system. I'm guessing that when it comes to this level of violence and corruption they are victims as much as anyone else.
I agree, they are small fish, and just as much the victims here. However, large companies don't turn on a dime, and it's these smaller businesses - to me - that have a more realistic ability to set the momentum, get the visibility, etc. to start the snowball that will draw the big boys in and affect change.

Quote:
...pizza chit deal (and, let me point out that the originator of that perspective now drives a Taco and is a magnet like everyone else).
:lol:

Quote:
It's going to take a clear, violent message that this stuff will not be tolerated, and a price will be paid.
This is likely the only mechanism to finally achieve the goal... but that won't be put in place until the other pieces fall into place ahead of that.... and what I was referring to were the pieces to put the snowball in motion. What you've mentioned here will be the only way in the end that I see where the consequences will be put into place to clean house (so to speak). It's the inevitable end game that I see - and thusly I agree with you.

Quote:
...it's the ruling class in Mexico that will have to fix this problem... When there are sufficient economic reasons to do so, they will.
Again, agreement, because the bottom line is change will only happen when this becomes a problem for the people that have the power to make something happen - and they'll move when it hits them in their WALLETS.

I still believe the little guy(s) can get the ball rolling much more expediently. But hey, what the heck do I know?

:o

--
Doug

[Edited on 11-23-2007 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.