Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 09:28 AM
Fdt...is this the free road you have been talking about

This seems south of TJ...but sounds dangerous...RVs for sure:o
Popotla Area Free Road Widens
Danger Zone for Holiday Travelers
By Martina

The new section of four-lane road running through the Popotla area south of Rosarito is progressing very fast. Locals and travelers alike have enjoyed the first stage of this huge undertaking to make the free road safer by widening it to four-lanes. It has helped local roadside businesses since its completion; but it was a very difficult transition for small businesses that struggled during its construction. They had no choice but to wait out the huge mounds of dirt and deep ditches that literally blocked people from getting to them. Another consequence that no one factored in is that the youth of Rosarito have discovered that Popotla Boulevard is a very fine drag strip after dark.

Currently the new road has rounded the corner at the Calafia towers. This was once a very hazardous section of the old two-lane road. It was literally a life threatening task to get into and out of Calafia on the blind corner. There is still shoulder work to be done, but the freshly painted centerlines help the flow of traffic. Past this point, drivers need to be very alert as construction moves southward.

Watch out for deep open ditches with only orange cone warnings, and the 40 kilometer zones, which translate to about 20 mph. Expect traffic delays. At the entrance to The Castle restaurant, there are speed bumps with no warning signs. During the day this is no problem, as traffic is usually backed up and generally does not allow for speeds beyond the designated 20 mph. However, at night with less cars, no lights, and nobody directing traffic, it is difficult to see the bumps soon enough to slow down. Speed bumps can be a teeth-shattering experience if hit at high speed!

From Sanoviv south, the open ditches are very dangerous and the road is extremely narrow with heavy double-rig semi truck traffic. The section of road in front of the new Santini Gallery is nearly completed. The artists and other businesses that had enjoyed this good location in the past were devastated during the months of construction and many have moved to other locations.

Local residents are already planning their holiday feasts at some of the great restaurants along this coastline. Be advised that there will be surprise road checks by Federal police looking for drunk drivers. We can all have fun and still be around for the New Year by remembering to stay aware, choose a designated driver, and watch out for those construction zones. Happy Holidays!

[Edited on 12-19-2007 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 10:05 AM

Yes, the free road is beeing widened as I reported in the past somewere and also reported of the dangers as in any hwy or road construction zone. Very important to remember is that once you enter México, the freeway speeds of 65mph (more like 75) end and will not be available until you return to the US.
I am always amazed at how slow news gets to your sources when it comes to México, I posted this on 7/24/07
, be carefull on the part between Las Rocas and Calafia, there is a lot of road construction going on because of the widening of the hwy.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=25836#pid2444...
Oh, and if you realy want last minute info tune in at 6PM.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Yes, the free road is beeing widened as I reported in the past somewere and also reported of the dangers as in any hwy or road construction zone. Very important to remember is that once you enter México, the freeway speeds of 65mph (more like 75) end and will not be available until you return to the US.
I am always amazed at how slow news gets to your sources when it comes to México, I posted this on 7/24/07
, be carefull on the part between Las Rocas and Calafia, there is a lot of road construction going on because of the widening of the hwy.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=25836#pid2444...
Oh, and if you realy want last minute info tune in at 6PM.

Thank you and will tune in...my memory is not good or could have missed it...
65!!!man I don't do that in the US... my cruse control is set on 54 so I never have to pass anything. I did do 54 in one stretch in baja, but mostly 40-50 on straight aways...Yes I am one of the ones dumb arse gringo hate...I have probably saved a few of their lives slowing them down:biggrin:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Fred
Senior Nomad

Mood: Laid Back

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 04:17 PM

Al.....good for you. That is the speed I usually do heading South on HWY1.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.