Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Hawaiian food vs. Mexican food
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-22-2012 at 09:34 PM

Not a big fan of Hawaiian food. The poke is good. The moco loco is OK (about once a year). There are some good asian joints to eat.

The islands are crowded with tourists and expensive. Better tropical places to travel in asia, with better food too
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 8-22-2012 at 09:37 PM

The problem also is that the mac and potato salad that comes with every plate is full of carbohydrates and fat and is a diabetic nightmare. I have been cooking every night, I made some pretty good pasta from Costco, and homemade Italian meatballs and Garlic Bread tonight. I don't care for the poke I miss cerviche, so I am glad I will be back for a sabbatical in a few weeks to eat Mexican!!!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-22-2012 at 09:47 PM
ceviche

You are in Ceviche Paradise......all of that fresh seafood, shellfish and Maui onions.....make your own!!!!!

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2012 at 07:15 AM

Dr - happy hours at the popular hotels have cheap happy hour food and drinks - enough for a meal at a reasonable price. Egg salad sandwiches, papayas for lunch. Look for food trucks, hole-in-the-wall independent "fast food" - which might be vietnamese food or the like.
I stayed at a "hostel" south of Kona once for $50/nt. for a bedroom in the house. There was also a large room with bunks for $10/nt. He had a great patio with a view where everyone would gather at the end of the day and talk about their day. We all had access to the kitchen and fridge. Awesome time. The next couple days we stayed down the road at the old sugar plantation rooms. They were $35/nt. Not too impressive as hotel rooms go, but fits the budget. Earlier in the trip we stayed at Arnett's hostel. $18/nt. as I recall. Fun place. Point is, with the money you don't spend on lodging, you can spend on food, leis, happy hours.
Yeh - "2-step" - one of my favorite places on earth. Dr - you're not too far from it - near Capt. Cook's and the small Beach Park. You gotta go.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2012 at 07:29 AM

And take advantage of the coupons in the "Tourist Magazines" available everywhere......plenty of 2 for one deals and % off ads.

We never spent more on food on our trips to the Islands than we did at home........be a smart shopper!!!! Food trucks, "locals" places to eat and shop, and plenty of fresh seafood!!!

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-24-2012 at 07:51 AM

Fresh seafood!!!! Beware of the Butterfish.:O
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2012 at 07:53 AM

Cypress...........grilled Ahi steaks!!!!

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 8-24-2012 at 11:17 AM

I just was up there the other day enrolling my daughter in school. She is going to be going to school in Captain Cook near the Kona Hospital. Very "Old Hawaiian" area with killer views of the ocean and coffee plantations from her school. We passed through the old Kainaliu section which is charming, which houses the "Old Aloha Theatre", also Dog Chapman's office is off that road. She is very happy to be here. I am off to Hilo today, not before I meet a friend for lunch in Honoka'a...another old Hawaiian town on the Big Island's Hamakua Coast, beautiful drive.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-24-2012 at 11:47 AM

bajaguy, Yep! Ahi, any you fix it is very tasty. Back to the Butterfish. Be very careful when you prepare Butterfish. They have an oil content that is a natural laxative. It can be a very unpleasant surprise for anyone that doesn't need a laxative.:o Could have a negative impact on your visit to Hawaii if you plan on cooking your own meals etc.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.