Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: DK
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2012 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
What David says makes a lot more sense to me than other theories about this subject.

This has been tossed around here before, the way one
leans politically SEEMS to directly determine one's
opinion on this subject. Congradulations Barry,
you and DK form a group of 2 maybe 10,
hope there is not more
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2012 at 03:56 PM

Nah, members of both parties and almost all scientists have come around to believing the data. There are a few still left, including Calamity Jan, who hope that people are not affecting the Earth and effecting change.

Kinda like believing the world is flat because that is as far as I can see.

[Edited on 12-5-2012 by rts551]
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-5-2012 at 04:07 PM

I am not really sure we are saying much different-------the only controversy, it seems to me, boils down to "can man do anything about it that will really change anything". What I hear from even the most strident is "YES, we can effect the outcome by maybe 1 to 3%. I ask, "is it worth it for such meager possible results"???

I don't think so------the cost is just too much.

Barry
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2012 at 06:40 PM

For what it's worth. There was a program on Nova the other day titled "Beneath the Antarctic Ice", or something like that. I'm a sucker for such things and watched it to the end.

The scientists down there were studying core samples of the sediment below the ice shields. They concluded that Antarctic continent was hot and humid during the Pleistocene Age just 15 million years ago. Knowing how much ice the continent now holds they figured that that much ice melting would raise sea level by about 21 feet. Currently some of the big ice shields have broken off but the landmass ice is still pretty intact. By comparing that warm spell with our current rising water temps they concluded that we will reach those conditions in 100-200 years. It's my understanding that the current mild raises in sea level is mainly due to the ice melt in Greenland and glacier melt around the poles.

I agree with Barry that doing much about it may be too expensive. But it's a cost/benefit sort of thing. As the sea level starts to effect Manhattan people will look at things differently. It's not an overnight fix. I keep shaking my head in disbelief over the new car ads on tv: 48mpg, 42mpg. Who would have believed it possible back in the 60's. Those who like to say "it can't be done" usually mean "I don't want it to be done".
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-5-2012 at 06:53 PM

Great discussion! Yes sand moves but where we see it connect to rock islands is still an easy visual of little or no change over our life time. The palapas on the Concepcion beaches have been just inches above the sea level ever since anyone has been going there. They still are.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2012 at 07:03 PM

but then again many that argue against man-made global change claim Earth has only been around 6 million years or so. Seems like they get their news from BS Mountain.:biggrin:

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2012 at 07:06 PM

WELL I am the OP

but I guess I will say some thing. we have had several ice ages where the poles have melted, it was caused by natural
things happening , not man made
but its my understnding what we are doing now is pushing the envelope to happen sooner than what the natural order should be, we are pushing of carbon dioxide at an alarming rate, yes there are other factors, but this tops the list

http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/global...

good reading, and this is not from the Right or Left
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2012 at 07:11 PM

sooooo...its not shell island?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.