BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: CFE RAISING RATES
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 02:04 PM

They are being LENIENT.

Try driving a car around Ensenada or La Paz for while or San Lucas for that matter.

I figure being aware of the LAW as well as being aware of the ambiance is in my best interests.

But don't take my word for it, stop and ask a transito federal, La Patrulla. It's a law in both states. The only exception is you could drive a car with expired plates if offset by a current and legal 180-day mainland car permit. A La Paz transito nailed me and he was smirking all the way to la comandancia. Until the teniente told him he was absolutely in the wrong and forced the cop to apologize to me.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 04:39 PM
Ensenada

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
They are being LENIENT.

Try driving a car around Ensenada or La Paz for while or San Lucas for that matter.

David, I AM talking about Ensenada. Ther police here turn a blind eye to expired US plated cars driven by Mexican nationals.......countless times have seen police following cars with expired US plates or no plates and no action taken. Apparently not high enough on their priority list.

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 04:57 PM

To RIOM, It's illegal to shoot ducks from a moving streetcar in Miami Florida as well.

In Mexico there are two realities: People seem to get them confused an awful lot especially gringos.

One is OFFICIAL LAW. It's always best to know what OFFICIAL LAW IS, so a person can have a firm leg to stand on.

ENFORCED LAW. There's nothing like pi$$ing a cop off by yelling at him there is no such law when there is. Such denials are usually accompanied by accusations of corruption, moral turpitude, genetics, ancestry, and IQ. Sometimes even perceived or imagined physical attributes.

RENTAL Cars with RED LICENSE PLATES are amenable to being driven by folks with ANY valid driver license.

It's nice to know Ensenada is not enforcing the expired tags law now. They were when I was stopped for a MISSING tag in 2005. It took a freakin' war of words to convince the transito that the DMV PAPER I showed him was dated 2005 good until 2006. IQ did enter the picture then.

I had already posted here about my LEGAL CURRENT DISABLED LICENSE PLATES being removed in La Paz a year or so ago, for parking in a BLUE ZONE. The rear view mirror had fallen off from the heat and the BLUE PLACARD was sitting on the dash. ALONG WITH THE PAPER DMV PERMIT.
"We only recognize the blue placard"
Even though Mexico has no permits, no plates and no placards.

Yes they were apologetic and remained as stupid as a brick about the validity of license plates with the blue wheelchair on them.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 05:20 PM

Quote:

They have them here.
I have to say, the handicapped parking places are treated with a large amount of respect by the driving public although there's still a lot of ignorance, as well as some arrogance involved as well.

In Maneadero, many of the indigenous drivers just don't begin to comprehend the idea.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

They have them here.
I have to say, the handicapped parking places are treated with a large amount of respect by the driving public although there's still a lot of ignorance, as well as some arrogance involved as well.

In Maneadero, many of the indigenous drivers just don't begin to comprehend the idea.

When I was running cross country in my big truck nothing Pi--ed me more than pulling into a roadside park to take a nap and the only vacant parking spot was for the Sick Lame and Lazy
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 10:21 AM

Are the last few posts considered a "hijack" from the original CFE post?

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Are the last few posts considered a "hijack" from the original CFE post?

Nah........This is a hijack: :lol:

[Edited on 5-12-2013 by DENNIS]
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 05:42 PM

Great photo, Dennis!

Udo

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 10:45 AM

When I was running cross country in my big truck nothing Pi--ed me more than pulling into a roadside park to take a nap and the only vacant parking spot was for the Sick Lame and Lazy

Got something against disabled people? Not that ones that hang a reg tag on the mirror slip down out of a four feet off the ground pickup, then dash into the facilities. But the ones who genuinely cannot walk a half mile to use the facilities?

J.P.
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 12:16 PM

Quote:

Got something against disabled people? Not that ones that hang a reg tag on the mirror slip down out of a four feet off the ground pickup, then dash into the facilities. But the ones who genuinely cannot walk a half mile to use the facilities?

NO I have nothing against the legitimate Handicap. In 1991 I was declared 69% handicapped.IT was enough to disallow me to continue what I was doing for a living. The disability was pretty good But not enough to support my family as I though I should. So I found something else to do. The Doctors have ben pimping the handicapped card to me ever since.
You and I know plenty of people that would jump on the chance to get one. I don't need nor would I accept one. I just think it's unreasonable to let someone who is truly handicapped drive a 80 thousand pound 18 wheel truck.

[Edited on 5-13-2013 by J.P.]
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 12:32 PM

Uh Oh, you mean there are EIGHTEEN WHEELER parking spaces with blue signs? If so, I mis-wrote and owe you an apology. Obviously I meant single car spaces you had have happened to notice. Pass the gosh darnned salsa for this CROW I am eating...

J.P.
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 12:42 PM

Quote:
Uh Oh, you mean there are EIGHTEEN WHEELER parking spaces with blue signs? If so, I mis-wrote and owe you an apology. Obviously I meant single car spaces you had have happened to notice. Pass the gosh darnned salsa for this CROW I am eating... [/quote

That is ok. before I was disabled I was a Union Ironworker I was able to get my pension as long as I did something else for a living. So I bought a 18 wheel truck and ran coast to coast. They have Handicapped parking spots foe 18 wheel trucks in road side parks.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 12:50 PM

I asked a Federal policeman about expired US plates today..He said essentially that as long as you have the correct insurance and ownership papers, the expired plate problem is between you and your home state. He also said you may be stopped in some parts of Mexico and fined because the locals want the revenue..See? that pins it right down...:wow:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Great photo, Dennis!

It's Woodys. I just ripped it off, but thanks.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 02:46 PM

Comitan, the bill I just received did not have an excedente amount because I kept bimestral kWh below 170

But the basico and intermediate rates were the same as was the 11% IVA

It pays to be ABSOLUTELY sure your casa does not have any electrical "leaks" which can take the form of innumerable ways for hot to see neutral and then to bleed to a concrete or tile floor. One stupid electrical hot water heater can bleed 20 to ? watts directly to ground and at the 20 watt level...

29 kWh bimestral.

And that's JUST for one device!

Now add up a 10 watt leak in a microwave, a 15 watt leak in a metal lamp pole standing on concrete or tile, and then....

Electrical receptacles (plug-ins) especially outdoor can leak 100 watts and only your CFE bill can see it.

I went from +400 kWh down to 137, using EXACTLY the same apparatus and lifestyle by eliminating leakage.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 03:32 PM

"I went from +400 kWh down to 137, using EXACTLY the same apparatus and lifestyle by eliminating leakage."

Please explain how you did that? If your electric is shut off AT THE METER wouldn't you still see some movement on the meter if you have leakage? I can't get below 600 kWh even though both of my neighbors bills are always WAY below 35 and they have the same basic appliances, pila pump etc., .

Bob Durrell
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 04:17 PM

I have a stupid new style digital meter Bob. I can not see wheels move. A good quality digital clamp on test meter can resolve AC down to .1 ampere which is around 12 watts.

Another way of testing is to go to HARBOR FREIGHT and get one of their inductive "Presence Of AC Voltage" tester. Wave it in front of your appliances. If it sounds off you have leakage. Or worse yet, hot and neutral are reversed somewhere.

Some old refrigerator motors leak and there is little you can do about it other than replacing it or the refrigerator. A lot of leakage is caused by a combination of salty dust and humidity. Self explanatory as to how to go about dealing with that. Electrical receptacles (plug-in) leak on the reverse side, the one you cannot see. Light switches can leak across the terminals. A huge suspect is the exterior apparati. The connections the meter plugs into. The circuit breaker box.

Home made test but you have GOT TO BE CAREFUL doing it. Use dry rubber gloves and rubber sole shoes.

Grab a junk table lamp and use a REGULAR light bulb. Chop off the plug. Split the twin wires about a foot long. Bare an inch of conductor in each wire.

Turn off everything in the house. Stay warm gizmos like TV's Radios and computers must be unplugged. DO NOT UNPLUG the refrigerator or lamps but make sure they are "OFF" not running.

At the circuit breaker box, turn off the breaker. Remove it from the clip but leave the wire connected. Twist, clip, or hold one wire onto where the breaker clips into the box. IT"S LIVE! USE GLOVES!

Then switch on the breaker and touch the OTHER bared lead of the test lamp to the breaker terminals EITHER SIDE. The refrigerator may come on or the hot water heater may come on while you are doing this, so it can get a little frustrating running back and forth to verify they are supposed to be playing possum. A second person would be handy and you may need to temporarily reconnect the breaker to allow the heater and or refrigerator to run up then stop on their own.

But if that light LIGHTS UP, when everything is supposed to be dead, then there is a bleed somewhere.

Have the second person start unplugging stuff and leave them unplugged one after another until you find the problem.

If this all ends up at a dead-end, and the light does not light but CFE continues to send an armored car around to collect for the bill it's time to invest in a KILL-A-WATT meter, GOOGLE it. Find out which appliance is playing the part of the proverbial red headed brother in law. You need to know which appliance is robbing you.

Don't forget, satellite TV robs power 24/7.

Good luck. CFE has more money than I do.

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 04:28 PM

MY plan, for when we move to BA, is to plug is a KILL-A-WATT outlet. It will let me know how much electricity is used by what.
In my RV, I change ALL the interior bulbs to LED and my electrical usage dropped by about 60%.
I plan on doing the same in BA. So far, however, LED and fluorescent bulbs appear to use about the same amount of juice. LED somewhat less, but not worth the investment for a changeover.
Renters, on the other hand, don't really care what they use...it's the landlord's responsibility.

Udo

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 04:42 PM

Udo there are meters that CLAMP on to the main hot wire and send a wireless signal to a kWh meter. Connect the hot and neutral pigtails and you can use the monitor wherever you wish within I believe 150 feet for voltage, frequency, amps, and accumulated kWh. A tiny power blip wipes out all stored kWh data on the Kill-A-Watt.

Tip. The receptacle on a Kill-A-Watt is garbage. I use an adapter pigtail rather than wreck the meter.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.