BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Newest towns in central Baja???
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Is that how that hotel in Loreto became a La Pinta/ Desert Inn? I have thought for years that that particular property, with its long beachfront was an ideal candidate for remodeling into something more upscale.

Yes, it became a La Pinta and then Desert Inn later. My parents and I stayed there (Hotel Playa Loreto) in 1973 and since we love sand beaches thought it was more desirable than the Mision de Loreto hotel, Hotel Oasis, Flying Sportsman Lodge or the inland Salvatierra motel. My dad had stayed at the Flying Sportsman Lodge a couple times in the 60's, flying down with Ed Tabor in the DC-3.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 06:33 PM

I know of a town that died with the highway was El Arco . A nice little village in late 60s early 70s . A place I looked forward to after two days of driving from the end of the pavment at Santa Tomas. Old adobe buildings, gas and some food. Not much but the biggest town south of El Rosario for 300 miles. I have not been there in years I hope it is better now.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 06:40 PM

I was at El Arco last year and it's still a very small town. Only a few buildings.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by freediverbrian
I know of a town that died with the highway was El Arco . A nice little village in late 60s early 70s . A place I looked forward to after two days of driving from the end of the pavment at Santa Tomas. Old adobe buildings, gas and some food. Not much but the biggest town south of El Rosario for 300 miles. I have not been there in years I hope it is better now.

Yes indeed! The main road to La Paz from Ensenada passed through El Arco before 1973. There was no Guerrero Negro until the late 1950's. El Arco was a checkpoint in the Mexican 1000 (1967-1972) and the Baja 1000 many times since then.

However, when the highway was planned, El Arco was on its way out and Guerrero Negro was growing. As a 'face saving' measure, El Arco did get a paved access road, Mexico Federal Highway 18! It was maybe the thinnest use of pavement until Hwy. 5 was extended in the 1990's with pavement to Puertecitos. In both case, potholes were more common than asphalt after a short time.

Puertecitos got thicker repaving, El Arco did not get any repaving.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 05:54 PM

Guerrero Negro was the result of US shipping magnate Daniel K. Ludwig. He owned a fleet of ships (American Bulk Carriers) as well, at one time, the Princess Hotel chain. His company was based in what today is Westlake Village CA, where there once was a Princess Hotel. He was the person that basically started the salt processing works in GN. It was later sold to a consortium of Mitsubishi and the Mexican government.

However, if anyone wanders far into town, you will see the development that Ludwig designed, with walled communities and lots of trees.

Most Baja travelers confine themselves to the dusty East end of town.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Guerrero Negro was the result of US shipping magnate Daniel K. Ludwig. He owned a fleet of ships (American Bulk Carriers) as well, at one time, the Princess Hotel chain. His company was based in what today is Westlake Village CA, where there once was a Princess Hotel. He was the person that basically started the salt processing works in GN. It was later sold to a consortium of Mitsubishi and the Mexican government.

However, if anyone wanders far into town, you will see the development that Ludwig designed, with walled communities and lots of trees.

Most Baja travelers confine themselves to the dusty East end of town.

Historical Photos: http://www.guerreronegro.org/galeria.html

The town of Guerrero Negro was a tent city in 1956 (called Salina Vizcaino originally):

The first shipment of salt loaded in 1957. The port in Laguna Guerrero Negro was relocated to Scammon's Lagoon (Ojo de Liebre) 10 years later and barges take salt to Cedros Island where it is loaded onto deep sea ships.

The first motel, 1968, The Dunas. Before the highway was finished, we stayed at the Dunas in '73:

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.