Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Conversations with border crossing agents: #1- Otay Mesa
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2014 at 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
What's the name of the street you turn right on from Industrial to get to the Sentri? Or landmark.

Calzada Alfonso Vidal y Planas. There's a huge green overhead sign directing you to turn right for Blvd. Bellas Artes and the Zona Industrial. No landmark—there's a big empty property on that corner.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 2-28-2014 at 03:54 PM

thank you David.

Is the exit off Corr. 2000 for Otay well signed also? I did the drive at night last month, navigated by luck and a few obscure signs.

Do you have photos to show what the Otay exit signs look like in daylight?

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2014 at 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
thank you David.

Is the exit off Corr. 2000 for Otay well signed also? I did the drive at night last month, navigated by luck and a few obscure signs.

It's very well signed. It says "TIJUANA - SAN DIEGO - 905" and the left lanes are marked "TECATE - MEXICALI - cuota". You can look at Google Maps in street view mode.

http://goo.gl/maps/Lziz7

[Edited on 2-28-2014 by dasubergeek]
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 2-28-2014 at 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
Quote:
thank you David.

It's very well signed. It says "TIJUANA - SAN DIEGO - 905" and the left lanes are marked "TECATE - MEXICALI - cuota". You can look at Google Maps in street view mode.

http://goo.gl/maps/Lziz7

[Edited on 2-28-2014 by dasubergeek]

Thank you. I do recall those signs, was worried by lack of traffic. Kept thinking I must be doing something wrong! :?:

Could also be I was a bit brain dead after driving all day... I made the full trip from GN to San Diego. Do-able, but tiring.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-28-2014 at 05:10 PM

Mil Gracias, Terry!
(p.s. I do not generally go that way, because the other crossing is faster.

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Udo.......

If the Tijuana police traffic cops are there, they MAY turn you around as your route intersects with the established Ready Lane traffic on Humboldt........I know from experience.

Better to go the long was as depicted on the map.

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
A good copy of the map is not necessary, Jim.
Your normal turn to the crossing is at the treffic light where the tire shop is.
Just go to the next traffic light, and make a right. Then go north one long block and make a right again.
The readylane traffic generally starts somewhere near that area. If you are lucky and get there when traffic is light, just travel the length of the block (eastbound), and turn left at the first left turn.
The map you are looking at just complicates things.
Just remember: Right at next block past tire shop, right, right, then left.
Could not get any simpler than that.

Udo

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
Figures!

When you head west on Blvd. Industrial (from Blvd. 2000), don't turn right for the regular lanes. Keep going and make a right on Vía de la Juventud Ote. (signs will point you to the airport). Then turn right at El Negro Durazo and stay to the left side as you head down that street. It'll dump you out into the left side of the Otay border road, which is where the Ready Lanes are.

I want a good copy of that map.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2014 at 05:18 PM

The ready-lane sign has been there for 18 months, and so far no action, even though the NB lanes are now three deep, even though they are using only the inside lane.

The other note...The toll payment at Corredor 2000 is not for the corredor, it is for the portion of the toll road you used from Ensenada, and you are paying to exit at that point rather than paying at the next toll both near Rosarito.

Quote:

As I waited at Tecate last week, I saw a sign promising "ReadyLane Proximamente". We shall see...

Regarding tolls: Blvd. 2000 is already a toll road, isnt it? I paid a toll in January, leaving Hwy 1 at Popotla heading NE to Otay. So, are you saying the price will increase? And will it only go to the "Lexus lane" at the Otay border?

Udo

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2014 at 05:30 PM

May I suggest that you buy a couple of pairs of the orthotic compression socks. They are available on the net and at the pharmacy counters at Walgreens and Target. They generally run about $75.00.
One can easily make a 16 hour drive and do not feel tired at all!
Those things are amazing!
They also allow you to make such a drive and your legs and ankles do not swell.
FYI...I bought mine at the LA Marathon Expo last year (in the Convention Center).
There were several vendors with cheaper prices, but the one outfit measured my legs, took note of my veins, and measured my foot.
He then recommended the style of sock I needed.
Yes, they are a pain in the butt to put on, but believe me, they are worth every cent I paid for them.
The next LA Marathon Expo (Jana runs the marathons, not me!) will be next Friday and Saturday.

Quote:
... I made the full trip from GN to San Diego. Do-able, but tiring.

Udo

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2014 at 01:32 PM

That is really good info about the socks...I bet they would be handy on a long overseas trip....and a must for hours of driving.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.