Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: PAPPY JON *Obtained* ASSISTANCE HWY. 5, MATOMI WASH
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 12:39 PM

I will be leaving Phoenix April 8th and heading to San Felipe if that helps any. I can pick up anything you order on Monday the 7th
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 10:39 PM

In an email message he reports it may be repaired well enough to get home with parts on-hand.

I mentioned ehall's offer via reply email in case he doesn't get back on Nomad before leaving San Felipe.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 02:06 PM

Just got back and just got the latest 3rd hand briefing from Mike.
Mike at Pete's Camp repair shop towed the toy to the shop and dropped both transfers. Found a stripped rear transfer input shaft. The rear transfer shaft/gear/tail was put on the front transfer. Then Jon got a ride to town and the weld shop extended the rear drive shaft. Whole repair took part of a day.
Last report was he is on his way - somewhere.
PW
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 03:04 PM

I will keep my eyes open for emails from his Delorme inReach device...

I hope he can salvage a small Baja trip out of this? Thank you PaulW for making the rescue!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 04:09 PM

I may be out of line in this, but when I was a (Jeep) person, instead of Toyota, if something on the rear drive broke, we disconnected the rear drive shaft and drove home on the front axle. It was slow, and tough to steer, but it got us home more than once.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 04:25 PM

Paul is correct. I have a duel transfer case set up. The input into the transmission from the crawl box was good. The input into the double adapter from the main transfer was stripped. That means no movement in 4 WD or 2wd.

We swapped the good gear into the transfer case, pulled the crawl box and adapter, and installed the transfer just like it came from the factory. This required a longer driveshaft. It was very unbalanced, but it got me to Phoenix where a shop will retube and balance in the morning.

[Edited on 4-2-2014 by Pappy Jon]

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 05:43 PM

Thanks for the update Jon... Glad you are out of trouble!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 08:06 AM

Question, I seem to remember that the squarecircle had a 4 runner with dual tranfer cases. What is the purpose of having two?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Question, I seem to remember that the squarecircle had a 4 runner with dual tranfer cases. What is the purpose of having two?

=====
Its a low cost deal for Toyotas to get low gearing for heavy rigs, however -- The result is a Low/Low used mostly for rock crawling when low horse power limits climbing ability. Also some rock crawl situations need very slow progress and very low gears are the ticket.
Example a transfer could have a 2.3 low and if one had two of them then the result would be 5.3. Not very practical for a typical desert rig since steep climbs are seldom encountered such as we see in rock crawling events.
Most full size off road rigs have a 2.7 low and two of those would be 7.3 gearing - pretty extreme.
What we see mostly these days for rock crawling is one 2 speed transfer driven by 500 Hp with various low gear ratios.
Another higher budget solution is to go with a 3 speed transfer and get the similar gearing to two 2.3s or lower.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 09:24 AM

I think Neal Johns also had a dual box... ?

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 02:43 PM

Interesting thanks
Pappy Jon
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 01:04 PM

So, I'm home, as of late Thursday night. The extended driveshaft from San Felipe was very unbalanced, but it drove me across the border, though a little slow. I stopped at a driveline shop in Yuma, but they were too busy to help me. I continued on to Phoenix and was referred to a shop, that also was too busy. They, in turn, sent me to another shop. They were able to make time for me Thursday morning.

With the driveshaft retubed and very balanced I continued home, leaving Phoenix around 1:00.

Older gear drive Toyota transfer cases are geared 2.28:1. There are 4:1 and 4.7:1 options. Originally I ran a single 4.7, but pulled it for the flexibility of a dual 2.28, which gives me 5.2:1 low if I need it.

The issue is sometimes you need to go slow, and feathering the clutch of a low torque engine is not a good option. A V8 with an automatic transmission is a different beast. There are many times where 2.28 works just fine, but 5.2 has a lot more confidence when the going is slow.

The stripped input gear.

[img][/img]

[Edited on 4-5-2014 by Pappy Jon]

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 09:18 PM

Glad you are home Jon and I am so happy that you had the satellite communicator and it was flawless in getting help to you in less than 24 hours thanks to Baja Nomad PaulW

If there was one thing lucky it was you were only 1/2 mile from the highway... and not 30 miles up Matomi Canyon in the rocks or a more remote location.

That Delorme inReach device was excellent.

Pappy Jon
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 09:46 PM

Thanks David for the help. I'm just glad I wasn't down at Los Corrales south of San Francisquito/El Barril. That would have been about 145 miles on dirt roads from BOLA. I would still be there watching the buzzards circle.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.