Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Intro - Hello from Santa Barbara, CA
sbsyncro
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2015 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by boe4fun  
Speaking of Shari, try to join her for whale watching at Ojo de Liebre when you get the chance. Also try to make a side trip to join our gang/club at Bahia Asuncion; good fishing (both surf and offshore), diving, surfing, etc., not to mention the most wonderful group of expats and locals on the peninsula!

Thanks! Asuncion was our backup plan if Tortugas was a bust back in July (which it was) but we had friends on a last-minute jaunt to BoLA so we headed back there to meet them instead. Definitely want to visit Asuncion the next time I have a chunk of free time.

Two of the guys in these photos are local friends of mine (Ian and Max):
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=43054

And there's two things I don't do with Max (the Russian) - drink shots and play poker. Because he is much better at both than me and I always regret it!

[Edited on 1-31-2015 by sbsyncro]
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 1-31-2015 at 10:55 AM

Hello. What's your username meaning? There's no "o" between the S and B so I'm guessing it's Santa Barbara :light: But what the "syncro"?
sbsyncro
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2015 at 11:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajalearner  
Hello. What's your username meaning? There's no "o" between the S and B so I'm guessing it's Santa Barbara :light: But what the "syncro"?

Well, its a bit of a holdover. I used that handle for many years (and still do) on travel or adventure-related forums. The "SB" is for Santa Barbara and the "Syncro" part comes from a VW Vanagon Syncro Westy I had for years (but alas sold a few years back). Some day I'll replace it with a diesel 4wd Sportsmobile, but until then the Tundra double cab seems to be doing the trick...
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-31-2015 at 11:09 AM

Tundra's rule!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-31-2015 at 12:46 PM
Sbsyncro

I pulled a small utility trailer with 18" sides into Punta San Fransiquito last October with no problems. I run the same wheels and tires as the tow vehicle, and 10 lbs pressure gave a good profile and softer ride.
My load would be about equal to hauling your Zodiac, motor, fuel and camping gear, and would probably work out better than a standard boat trailer. Just make sure that the motor, gas cans and such are strapped down, more for the 'vados' that you don't see in time than the bad road.
By the way, I have a 14 foot MKII Zodiac with a 25 hp Johnson that I haul around in AK with a similar trailer. I mounted a cross bed toolbox on the front that comes in handy and saves a lot of digging through the tow vehicle.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 1-31-2015 at 03:40 PM

Put a four wheel camper on that double cab tundra and call it way better than good!

TT
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 1-31-2015 at 07:30 PM

Welcome to Nomad Brent. Like your story, photos and attitude. You should fit right in...

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2015 at 09:41 PM

Welcome Brent! I gotta pick your brain on Punta Eugenia and Tortugas! We will chat more on u2u...

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2015 at 11:51 PM

Welcome! and don't forget the spring winds on the Cortez!!
Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2015 at 07:01 AM

We probably crossed paths in the 80's. I too went to college in San Diego in the the early 80's at SDSU. Started going to Baja then and diving and spearfishing in the mid-80's on. BOLA mostly. Our son is 17 now and although not into diving, he's old enough for me to not worry about and I've started going back to Baja and other places in Central America spearfishing. I still have roots in San Diego and spend a lot of time there so if you ever need an adventurer for a trip south, let me know.

I pulled my Zodiac/Nova Bat to BoLA many times. Even hard hull bow riders. Never a problem trailer wise. If you're not part of the Spearboard forum you should join. Lot's of Southern California divers going out locally and to Baja.
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2015 at 08:43 AM

Welcome, sbsyncro.

Your intro and following photos are great. Thanks.

We may have seen your Syncro a time or two around Sta B., if you've lived there long. We lived in the Santa Ynez Valley for over forty years before moving to the Snake River Plain. I've always envied Syncro owners.

Thanks again, and we look forward to more journals from Baja.

Allen R.
P.S. I've always thought that the English equivalent of golpe was "blow", as in "Wow! That's quite a blow there."
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2015 at 09:14 AM

Welcome! Always fun to hear about adventures. While in Asuncion, take a day and visit La Bocana too! Find us by looking for the 2 story white house, on Erizo street. Or ask for La Maestra Blanca to any kid 12 and up. They are ALL my English students.

Your intro was great. So are your pics.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
sbsyncro
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2015 at 09:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Timinator  
I too went to college in San Diego in the the early 80's at SDSU. If you're not part of the Spearboard forum you should join. Lot's of Southern California divers going out locally and to Baja.

Thanks - went to UCSD, but lived in OB most of the time.

I used to be pretty active on Spearboard, but not so much any more. There's a couple of other forums I frequent, but mostly its the "rubber band telegraph" I actually used to go to a lot of the San Diego Freediver's club meetings because I had some clients in SD. Dove with a number of good guys down there.

and THANKS everyone for the warm welcome - its really amazing!!

[Edited on 2-1-2015 by sbsyncro]
wetto
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2015 at 11:12 AM

Welcome!

Good intro and photos.
See you in Baja.

Lee S
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.