BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Who's getting a Telsla Power Wall?
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 09:22 AM
Forgive my ignorance

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  
Elon was kind of selling it like one battery would do a normal house but after checking the amps/volts I don't think just one battery will run a power tool( 8.6 amp peak output)...but I'm no electrician, maybe I'm missing something.

http://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall

[Edited on 5-6-2015 by Mexitron]

That battery runs at 450 volts, so the 8.6 amps is about 2600 watts. Still not a lot of power. At 450 volts that lets out all the current off grid charge controllers and inverters for use with this battery. Must be special made equipment just for that high voltage, although I think that some grid-tie inverters run at high voltage, not sure.

But if I use the formula Watts = Amps x Volts then 8.6 amps x 450 volts = 3870 watts
and if I go backwards starting with 2600 watts at 450 volts I get 5.7 amps.

WHAT AM I MISSING?

Bob Durrell
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 09:41 AM
Maybe I just answered my own question

Specs state:
Efficiency
92% round-trip DC efficiency

Power
2.0 kW continuous, 3.3 kW peak
Voltage
350 – 450 volts

Current
5.8 amp nominal, 8.6 amp peak output

so if If I use the 350V and .92 efficiency numbers with 5.8 A I get a current draw of 1,876 watts

Bob Durrell
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 09:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  
Elon was kind of selling it like one battery would do a normal house but after checking the amps/volts I don't think just one battery will run a power tool( 8.6 amp peak output)...but I'm no electrician, maybe I'm missing something.

http://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall

[Edited on 5-6-2015 by Mexitron]

That battery runs at 450 volts, so the 8.6 amps is about 2600 watts. Still not a lot of power. At 450 volts that lets out all the current off grid charge controllers and inverters for use with this battery. Must be special made equipment just for that high voltage, although I think that some grid-tie inverters run at high voltage, not sure.

But if I use the formula Watts = Amps x Volts then 8.6 amps x 450 volts = 3870 watts
and if I go backwards starting with 2600 watts at 450 volts I get 5.7 amps.

WHAT AM I MISSING?

an inverter. you cant run your television set off 450v DC
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 11:26 AM

Yeah, the specs given on the web site used "ranges" for both volts and amps, so when I did my calcs, I kinda split the difference. Any yes and battery system must have an inverter to power a home. It will have to be an inverter made for this battery due to the unusual charging and voltage specs.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 03:56 PM

There is a very large "fudge factor" built in there some where.

bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2015 at 08:12 AM

Reeks of 'Jevon's Paradox' (look it up ... (maybe Jenov's Paradox?))

( http://kunstler.com/clusterflock-nation/muskular-magic/ )
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2015 at 09:55 AM

Libby or Tea bag, this technology, or the attempt to produce it, is very cool.

But in order to get through to the conservatives, like me, is to produce that same video and discuss the TCI and ROI. How much will it cost and how long will it take to pay it back. What will it run? Here in AZ if I could have enough juice to run my A/C during the summer afternoons, that would save a ton of dough.

Also, with our billing structure we pay way less per KwH at night than day. could we charge the battery at night using the grid and run it in the day?

Very cool stuff and something to ponder.

Before we get the flamers, yes I know it is DC and we would charge it with AC that has to be converted and it wouldn't be efficient, yada yada

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2015 at 10:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  
Also, with our billing structure we pay way less per KwH at night than day. could we charge the battery at night using the grid and run it in the day?

Exactly where he's going: fill the battery at night when electricity is lower-priced, then run off the battery during the day. Musk also wants to use electric cars as storage devices.

The new Tesla battery mega factory is supposed to be built east of Reno.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2015 at 10:14 AM

A great balanced analysis of this Tesla announcement can be found at the 31 minute 40 second mark here:

[Edited on 5-13-2015 by Ateo]

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 5-13-2015 at 10:39 AM

Very cool stuff and something to ponder. yada yada

Keep in mind that if this practice came into widespread use, the electric company would adjust their rate structure to increase rates at night, which would now be the "high demand" period.

This speaks to bezell's Jevon's Paradox

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
Trueheart
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2015 at 05:57 PM

Tesla's "gigafactory", just east of Reno in Storey County, is under construction. The selection of northern NV for their factory may have been (and likely was) influenced by their partner Panasonic, wanting to be geographically close to a large source of lithium .... at the north end of the state.

The $1.3B in tax incentives to be supplied to Tesla had some influence over geographic selection as well.

Elon Musk is quite a "marketeer" ..... at all levels.
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2015 at 06:01 PM

Keep in mind that if this practice came into widespread use, the electric company would adjust their rate structure to increase rates at night, which would now be the "high demand" period.

I actually don't think it will get that far. I think the lobbyists will put some kind of tax or tariff on the technology.
Here in AZ they offered a watt for watt exchange and little by little they are changing the program. Transfer fees, seasonal adjustments and the latestis a $50 per month fee if you have solar grid tie.

It is just like any form of energy, if someone figures out how to make it cheaper, i.e., fracking, then the oil companies are forced to lower global pricing. You know, that supply and demand thing

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-13-2015 at 07:12 PM

Spot on .. Cortez
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-13-2015 at 07:36 PM

I actually don't think it will get that far. I think the lobbyists will put some kind of tax or tariff on the technology.
Here in AZ they offered a watt for watt exchange and little by little they are changing the program. Transfer fees, seasonal adjustments and the latestis a $50 per month fee if you have solar grid tie.

It is just like any form of energy, if someone figures out how to make it cheaper, i.e., fracking, then the oil companies are forced to lower global pricing. You know, that supply and demand thing

There are a lot of people that use grid tie solar and think the grid should be free. 50 per month for use of the grid is probably fair price. Most utilities are going to eventually split electrical bills into 2 pieces, one bill for the grid cost and a second for the electricity used. Right now in California the grid tie solar users are being subsidized by everyone else,...
bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2015 at 10:46 AM

ya know, there is one aspect of this ultimate human calamity, that the idiot from Shell Island does get correct (crazy-talk I know) , and that's other nations' participation ...

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/31478-china-s-communist-c...

(and the genius that is Musk, knows it)
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-23-2015 at 12:00 PM

A should read for all of us! Long and very scary.....READ IT!

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2015 at 01:28 PM

And we would all be living the same Ecological Apocalypse if it was up to the right wingers like David who espouse no government control of the environment.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2015 at 02:08 PM

Bad argument.....That apocalypse is being CREATED by a govt with TOTAL control. A balance is needed, it is NOT a political solution, either way...IF that article is factual. we all have a lot more to worry about than right vs left.....

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2015 at 03:15 PM

Chuckie, until we started regulating things, we has entire rivers catching fire, acid falling from the sky, and smofg so thick you could not see 20 feet in front of you. it was a political solution that reigned these things in.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2015 at 03:41 PM

No argument there....But we aint done yet.....Read the article before you pull out past history....BALANCE!

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.