Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Passport needed to enter Mexico in Tijuana
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 10:47 AM

I think going back to the US without a passport almost guarantees spending time in secondary inspection. And who knows, Mexico might require them by then, probably not, but maybe. Best to get passports with the optional passport card. Then no worries.
bajasusan/a
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 10:52 AM

never thought about the secondary inspection aspect -- thanks!
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 11:03 AM

They can't get their visas without a passport. I know that many don't feel the need to be legal in a foreign county. I try to keep the i's dotted and t's crossed in Mexico.Any body that travels abroad should have one.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 11:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I think going back to the US without a passport almost guarantees spending time in secondary inspection. And who knows, Mexico might require them by then, probably not, but maybe. Best to get passports with the optional passport card. Then no worries.

No it doesn't guarantee spending time in secondary!

Thousands cross back into the USA from Mexico everyday, with only a birth certificate, and drivers license.

I see it all the time, and I live in the USA, and so when I go to Tijuana, I park on US side, and walk across and walk back across the border, and I see first hand, how many US citizens cross back into the US armed with only a drivers license and birth certificate.

The US custom agents, usually say nothing about having to have passport, although years ago, when they started the new WHTI rules, a few custom agent, told some people, next time bring a passport. Since then I have not heard anything, nor do I see people being sent to secondary, just because they don't have a passport.

If you get sent to secondary, you're going to secondary probably regardless if you have a passport/passcard or not.

Here is something I found about a recent LGBT event in Tijuana and they are telling their fellow Americans citizens to come down to the event, and that NO PASSPORTS NEEDED TO RE-ENTER USA!! And they do this every year.

You're supposed to have a passport, but the practice for the last 10 years or so, is to let US citizens back into the USA without a passport. US Customs seems to understand, that passports are expensive and not all families can afford them. And if you're a US Citizen, you can't be denied entry back into your own country, and it only takes them seconds, to determine you're a US citizen.

Simply park on USA side in one of the many lots and then walk into Mexico and the party. quick 5 minute walk. NO PASSPORTS NEEDED TO RE-ENTER USA!! The entire PAPI team has been using our State issued ID's for the past 3 years without ANY issues getting back!!
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 04:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

No it doesn't guarantee spending time in secondary!

Thousands cross back into the USA from Mexico everyday, with only a birth certificate, and drivers license.

I see it all the time, and I live in the USA, and so when I go to Tijuana, I park on US side, and walk across and walk back across the border, and I see first hand, how many US citizens cross back into the US armed with only a drivers license and birth certificate.

The US custom agents, usually say nothing about having to have passport, although years ago, when they started the new WHTI rules, a few custom agent, told some people, next time bring a passport. Since then I have not heard anything, nor do I see people being sent to secondary, just because they don't have a passport.

If you get sent to secondary, you're going to secondary probably regardless if you have a passport/passcard or not.

Here is something I found about a recent LGBT event in Tijuana and they are telling their fellow Americans citizens to come down to the event, and that NO PASSPORTS NEEDED TO RE-ENTER USA!! And they do this every year.

You're supposed to have a passport, but the practice for the last 10 years or so, is to let US citizens back into the USA without a passport. US Customs seems to understand, that passports are expensive and not all families can afford them. And if you're a US Citizen, you can't be denied entry back into your own country, and it only takes them seconds, to determine you're a US citizen.

Simply park on USA side in one of the many lots and then walk into Mexico and the party. quick 5 minute walk. NO PASSPORTS NEEDED TO RE-ENTER USA!! The entire PAPI team has been using our State issued ID's for the past 3 years without ANY issues getting back!!

I really think that the experience is different between pedestrians and those in vehicles, especially in large RVs and campers.

It is unlikely that a pedestrian is carrying a large amount of any contraband.

I'd like to hear from someone who drove a vehicle that did not have to go to secondary.

It is in the interest of Tijuana's economy to promote the no passport thing. They really took a major economic hit with the cartel violence and the passport requirement.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 05:03 PM

I wonder if tourism is still important to TJ's economy. There are 1.3 million people in the city now and it's growing. The businesses, (bars, curio shops, restaurants) catering to tourists in those dozen or so blocks in the Avenida Revolucion area don't add up to much. But, of course, if you own one of those businesses you're hurting.

[Edited on 7-4-2015 by SFandH]
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 05:41 PM

Tourism is very important to Tijuana, especially since it's a border city.

I know a lot of people believe tourism dried up since the recession a few years ago, and the the Mexican cartel violent, but one visit to the border will tell you that day tourism is alive and well in Tijuana, as well as the rest of Mexico, where millions of American visit Mexico every year.

According to "Wikipedia"300,000 visitor cross by foot or car everyday from the San Ysidro point of entry. Besides the regular tourist activities, you have medical tourism, and pharmacy visits, that's also very important to Tijuana.

I have been in cars crossing the border with people who don't have a passport, and they easily pass too.

I don't know why it's so hard to accept that Americans pass the Mexico/US border, and back into the USA from Tijuana, with nothing more than a driver's License, and birth certificate. Even if you are sent to "secondary," so what? You're still going to be able to visit Tijuana, and make it back home in the USA.

If you can get a passport do it, if you can't or you have family visiting and they want to take a day trip to Tijuana, or Baja, take them. It's not going to be a problem getting back into the US.

Tijuana also relies on tourism for a major part of its revenue. About 300,000 visitors cross by foot or car from the San Ysidro point of entry in the United States every day. To lessen the strain on the border crossing, the Otay Mesa Crossing has been boosted to support more traffic and 6-lane highway 905 built in 2012, as well as rapid bus transit coming in the future.

The city's tourist centers include the shopping district surrounding Tijuana's Cultural Center (CECUT), the nightlife hot spots around La Sexta, Old Downtown Tijuana, Avenida Revolucion, and the city's best known vices, in the form of its legal Red Light District and gambling (Agua Caliente).

Restaurants and taco stands, pharmacies, bars and dance clubs are part of the draw for the city's tourists. Many shops and stalls selling Mexican crafts and souvenirs are also located within walking distance of the border. Mexico's drinking age of 18 (vs. 21 in the United States) makes it a common weekend destination for many high school and college aged Southern Californians who tend to stay within the Avenida Revolución.

Tijuana is also home to several pharmacies marketed toward visitors from the United States. These pharmacies sell some pharmaceutical drugs without prescriptions, and at much lower costs than pharmacies in the US. Many medications still require a Mexican doctor's prescription though several accessible doctor offices are located near the border as well.

In addition, Tijuana's "red-light" district (Zona Norte) adds significant revenue to its economy. Tijuana is also home to many businesses selling products and services at a much cheaper rate than in the United States. Businesses such as auto detailing, medical services, dentistry and plastic surgery are heavily marketed and located near the city's border with the US.

Economic development has its central business district at Zona Río, which together, with the corridor along Blvd. Agua Caliente (the extension of Avenida Revolución), contains the majority of the higher-end office space in the city. Binational economic development along the US-Mexico border is key to the development of Tijuana going forward. Multiple regional (San Diego-US/Tijuana-MX) think-tanks exist on both sides of the border that promote such regional collaboration and innovation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tijuana

[Edited on 7-4-2015 by JoeJustJoe]
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 08:08 PM

I was responding to SFandH, second post, but he pulled it. Oh well.
-----

Now that you mention it, I have seen other numbers like 130,000 daily travelers on the US/Mexico border at San Ysidro.

Where do you live, SFandH? It's like you never been to the border. It's very busy even on a Tuesday in March. The border is always busy. Right now the traffic going into Mexico at San Ysidro is probably packed. The line getting back into the US is probably worse.

The only time that I find it slow is on weeknights at about 12 midnight, and walking back to the US/Mexico border, when you walk, there is either no line or very short line, the rest of the time, it's always busy.

In 2014 Mexico welcomed 23 million foreign visitors! That 23 million people who were not afraid to travel to Mexico, and have fun.

Mexico's tourism activity rises 3.4 pct. in 2014

Mexico's tourism activity expanded by 3.4 percent in the third quarter of 2014, compared to the same period in the previous year, the National Institute of Statistics and Geography, or INEGI, said Tuesday.

Spending by foreign and domestic tourists rose 2.8 percent in the July-September period, compared to the same period in 2013, the statistics agency said in a statement.

Spending by domestic tourists rose 1.8 percent, while spending by foreign tourists surged 12.9 percent during the period, the INEGI said.

Services offered to domestic and foreign tourists, the biggest component of the tourism industry within the gross domestic product (GDP), rose 4.5 percent in the third quarter, while the provision of goods contracted by 1.3 percent.

Mexico welcomed 23.7 million foreign tourists in 2014, generating more than $13.8 billion in revenues.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2015/02/17/mexico-tour...

[Edited on 7-4-2015 by JoeJustJoe]
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.