Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 7-6-2015 at 08:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
so who makes the engine and
who makes the generator

edit: you could call them...I don't have a phone or I would

[Edited on 7-6-2015 by Bob and Susan]

According to the website, they use Toyota and John Deere engines depending on the application.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
pacside
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2015 at 09:59 PM

I use my Kubota 16hrs a day in the hot summer...its only time till it breaks...parts are everywhere...even the "tractor store"

Hey Bob,
How many kw is your Kubota? I'm looking to buy one either in La Paz or Cabo or I drive it down. I assume it is liquid cooled with 1800 rpm. I want it to run in the summer like you about 16 hours a day for AC and have it as a backup when it's cloudy and my solar/batteries don't have enough juice.
Thanks,
pacside
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-7-2015 at 05:45 AM

mine is a 25k...1800rpm....uses about 3/4 a gallon an hour

but you don't need that...maybe too big

I should have gotten two 12.5k's and rotated the use
and wired two systems like my battery bank...maybe less fuel too

mine is imported from the usa...more selection there
I've had mine up and down 3 times for repair when it was new
its easy to cross with and there is a repair place near the border that repairs ALL the back up generators in the san diego area...there's a lot of back-up generators in businesses

it has a sound box...I wouldn't do that again...I would build my own
give it lots of air
I had to take the battery out of the box...too much heat

my tank in underneath (75gal) I wouldn't do that again...too hard to fill
...i'd put it on the side with wheels and a quick disconnect hose to move it around...remember you cant run a diesel out of fuel...that's bad

also don't bolt the generator to the cement...too much vibration...set it on a wooden base and bolt that down as a damper

I made lots of mistakes...I listened to the WRONG people...
when people say they are "professionals"...sometimes they arent

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
laventana
Nomad

Mood: sharing

[*] posted on 7-7-2015 at 04:34 PM

added for pacside

when picking a diesel size, from what i read on a diesel forum if you go too big you need to find a way to exercise it once in a while. Some people say buy a bunch of oven elements is cheapest way to do it. Or it can harm the engine, carbonize ? can not remember what they call it. Only happens with diesels.

found it called "wet stacking"

[Edited on 7-7-2015 by laventana]

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2015 at 05:09 PM

that's like saying you shouldn't drive a diesel truck unloaded...
"put some rocks in the bed"

if it "wet-stacks" you need a tune-up or change the fuel filter

1800 rpm is like driving a truck at 60mph
so if I run my diesel 16 hours its like driving from mulege to LA

I do use a heavier diesel oil though...and change it often

our website is:
Tod
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2015 at 05:40 PM

I had a Northern Lights generator on my 42' Grand Banks for 10 years before selling the boat. At the time I got mine the smaller gensets were made by Kubota and customized by Northern Lights. They have a very strong reputation the the trawler cruising world....considered to be one of the very best available.
laventana
Nomad

Mood: sharing

[*] posted on 7-7-2015 at 08:13 PM

that's like saying you shouldn't drive a diesel truck unloaded...
"put some rocks in the bed"

1800 rpm is like driving a truck at 60mph
so if I run my diesel 16 hours its like driving from mulege to LA

I do use a heavier diesel oil though...and change it often

I am not sure that is as accurate as I see the issue analogy. There is a significant difference in fuel usage at a lower load vs higher load in generators. The northern lights one gave usage by full load at 1800 rpm of 0.59gph and at half load .32 gph. Both of these are at 1800 rpm. So just at half load it is a close to a 50% differential.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_stacking

Quote:

Wet stacking is a condition in diesel engines in which not all the fuel is burned and passes on into the exhaust side of the turbocharger and on into the exhaust system. The word "stacking" comes from the term "stack" for exhaust pipe or chimney stack. The oily exhaust pipe is therefore a "wet stack".

In diesel generators, it is usually because the diesel engine is running at only a small percentage of its capacity.

http://www.primepower.com/blog/diesel-emergency-generator-sy...

Diesel Emergency Generator Systems: How to Avoid Wet Stacking

You are here: Home > Blog > Diesel Emergency Generator Systems: How to Avoid Wet Stacking
by Prime Power Services on January 12, 2012 in PrimeTimes News

Quote:

Diesel Emergency Generator Systems: How to Avoid Wet Stacking

You are here: Home > Blog > Diesel Emergency Generator Systems: How to Avoid Wet Stacking
by Prime Power Services on January 12, 2012 in PrimeTimes News

National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) code 110 defines wet stacking as the accumulation of unburned fuel or carbon on a diesel generator’s exhaust side. To measure wet stacking, emergency power technicians measure the temperature of a generator’s exhaust gas. Once the extent of wet stacking is confirmed, technicians suggest ways to eliminate it. If left unaddressed, wet stacking could have the following effects on generator systems:

• Fouled injectors due to carbon accumulation
• Decrease in engine performance due to gases that escape from valves
• Parts corrosion due to carbon accumulation
• Premature engine breakdown due to gasoline diluted with oil
• Significantly shortened engine life
• Significantly increased maintenance expense due to engine damage

These conditions typically occur when emergency generator systems operate below their intended operating temperature for an extended period, although a decrease in engine performance is often seen immediately. To correct the problem and avoid premature engine breakdown, building owners should follow NFPA 110 testing guidelines for diesel generators. Prime power specializes in performing these tests.

Monthly and Annual Testing

During a monthly test, a generator should be operating under available load at (a) a minimum of thirty percent of its nameplate kilowatt rating, or (b) no less than the minimum exhaust gas temperature recommended by its manufacturer. If a generator does not pass its monthly test, it should be operated for two continuous hours under a supplied load (i.e. load bank testing) at the following levels at least once a year, beginning after a failed monthly test:

• At 25% of nameplate rating for 30 minutes
• At 50% of the nameplate rating for 30 minutes
• At 75% of the nameplate rating for 60 minutes

Auxiliary load bank testing and facility manual load bank testing are also used for annual tests, but portable load bank is the preferred method for two reasons: it eliminates the expense of buying and maintaining a load bank, and it places testing in the hands of emergency generator systems experts, who often perform this type of testing as part of a larger preventative maintenance regimen.

Conclusion

Wet stacking can happen to any diesel generator, and its effects can extend beyond generator damage. In extreme cases, it can also lead to environmental concerns, especially for facilities located in low emissions zones (LEZ). The biggest concerns are two problems it creates for building owners: the high cost and the potential disaster associated with generator failure, especially in buildings that have generator powered backup lights or require constant electricity.

At Prime Power, we understand the seriousness of wet stacking. That is why we deploy hundreds of mobile load banks each year to exercise emergency generator systems that experience wet stacking. If your generator fails its monthly test, load bank testing is the best way to prevent wet stacking or eliminate it before it leads to expensive repairs. Wet stacking could occur subtly, and exist for months or years before it is detected. To learn more about wet stacking and what you can do to prevent it, call Prime Power today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ApPm-LFzrM

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2015 at 08:30 PM

That's exactly right, diesel engines are most efficient and will give the longest service when run with a load on them. When sizing a diesel generator, bigger is not necessarily better, they should be sized for the load that will be put on them. On fishing boats they monitor exhaust temperatures and will size the propeller to achieve stack temp specs at cruising RPM so that the engine has the optimum load on it.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2015 at 08:37 PM

How do you "tune up" a diesel? Change the spark plugs? LOL

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 05:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  

obviously you don't have a diesel generator you use all the time...

change oil and filter...ALOT...diesel fuel is a fine oil and gets into the crankcase and thins the oil

fuel/water separator filter...it'll run ALOT better...big tanks get humidity in them...keep it full

air filter...you cant believe how much FINE dust gets sucked into a diesel...it sucks ALOT of air...free up that restriction and the unit purrs

if its still bad its time to clean the injectors...that's expensive...and if you do the above you may not have to for a long time

a diesel is the best engine for long term use

our website is:
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 06:49 AM
fool's and fool's

Hey BOB....... You do know that the gas pedal is on the right side,,,,Right ??
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 07:17 AM

obviously you don't have a diesel generator you use all the time...

change oil and filter...ALOT...diesel fuel is a fine oil and gets into the crankcase and thins the oil

fuel/water separator filter...it'll run ALOT better...big tanks get humidity in them...keep it full

air filter...you cant believe how much FINE dust gets sucked into a diesel...it sucks ALOT of air...free up that restriction and the unit purrs

if its still bad its time to clean the injectors...that's expensive...and if you do the above you may not have to for a long time

a diesel is the best engine for long term use
Actually, I have one that is over 20 years old that I use nearly everyday. I guess I just don't consider routine maintenance to be a "tune up".

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2015 at 11:15 AM

who makes the generator

I looked into who makes the motor for the Northern Lights generator. It's a Shibaura, made in Japan. They have been in business for over 60 years and are used in many applications including New Holland and Ford tractors.
http://www.ihi-shibaura.com/english/aboutus/history.html

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2015 at 03:02 PM

who makes the generator

I looked into who makes the motor for the Northern Lights generator. It's a Shibaura, made in Japan. They have been in business for over 60 years and are used in many applications including New Holland and Ford tractors.
http://www.ihi-shibaura.com/english/aboutus/history.html

i'm pretty sure this says "china knock-off" but I could be wrong...i'm not always right

chinaa.jpg - 139kB

our website is:
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2015 at 07:22 PM

What major industrial companies don't have Chinese subsidiaries? Just because they make Chevys and Fords in China, doesn't mean the ones down at your local dealerships are "Chinese knock-offs" I went and looked at the actual machine, and the plate on the motor said: IHI Shibaura Machinery Corporation and Made in Japan.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2015 at 08:07 PM

see ...I was wrong again

our website is:
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.