BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Pass it On.................(a long story)
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2016 at 06:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  
It appears my brother was lucky or fortunate.

They took a portion of his Sigmoid(SP) colon and got it all according to his pathology report. No Chemo and a pet scan every 6 months and a colonoscopy every year for 5 years..:biggrin:

GREAT NEWS and I hope it stays that way. :bounce::bounce:

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-1-2016 at 08:43 PM

Good news, VERY good news for your brother, CB. My older bro is on a colostomy bag for the rest of his life. That's a tremendous prognosis.

We have choices: Git'er done!

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2016 at 09:55 PM

probably just more boolchit....but another good reason to enjoy your cup of joe!

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-03-links-coffee-consumpti...
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-2-2016 at 04:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
DEFINITION OF 'PROCTOSCOPE':

It is a long, silvery tube with an a$$hole at both ends. :biggrin:

When a Proctologist gets up every morning at least the proctologist knows that he will be dealing with arseholes all day long.

[Edited on 4-3-2016 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2016 at 05:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
You may want to leave your cellphone on record during your procedure.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/anesthesiologist-trashe...

Her's what your cellphone wont see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t9dOZPj71k

Bob Durrell
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 4-2-2016 at 06:05 PM

I'm 71, had my first one almost a year ago. The campaign to get all cleaned out was the worst, two or three days for that, but only a couple of seconds of discomfort once on the table. No real anesthetic, I was awake; Dr. came by soon after and showed me the single, small pollup he had harvested, said it very well could have become cancerous "in ten Years." This was a private clinic, Vancouver Canada, no charge for anything. I got dressed and walked out.
Men have a few things they should watch out for especially, the colon being one, along with the heart, prostate, and a few others that can be treated and prevented if caught early. Do it.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2016 at 06:26 PM

Good news. Yes, he was lucky!
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2016 at 07:28 PM

Come on Nomads, if you're 50 you should be having this done. It saves lives!
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 10:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tripledigitken  

and PSA testing for prostrate cancer too. When i was 62 my PSA shot way up and my doctor ordered a prostrate biopsy. Sure enough the results came back malignant in 6 of the 8 samples taken. Of course the first thing they wanted to do was surgery to remove it followed by chemo and radiation. I told them to reverse that sequence so they gave me some shots of a female hormone to shrink it then sent me to radiation 5 days a week for 7 weeks. After that my PSA went way down and a second biopsy showed no cancer. That was 16 years ago and my PSA is still normal. I am just as lucky as your brother CB.

Bob Durrell
Genecag
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2016 at 09:15 AM

Great to hear a happy ending to a health scare!!! Salud Amigos!

Don't forget to get an EKG for your heart as well. 2 of my friends suffered heart attacks around 50 as well and luckily survived.

Here's my story...

About 18 months ago, they found a lump in my neck and after some tests found it to be a mass of fat or liquid..... Since I didn't feel anything wrong, I procrastinated and fast forward 14 months. One day in La Paz, I feel like there is a slight electrical shock where the tumor is located and have some discomfort swallowing and at times taking a breath.

Back for more tests and the thing Grew and now was the size of a golf ball. So surgery is immanent. Through a family referral, I see a surgeon. The Doctor looks through the Blood Tests, Sonogram, MRI and delivers the message: You GOt CANCER!

What?! But, but, I say, the tests were negative....

The Doc says, Being male and the size of the tumor and being part of the Thyroid, sorry it's cancer.

Wow, what a kick in the huevos...

The Doctor recommend surgery and removal of both thyroids and the tumor. She said these types of cancer are not aggressive and can be well treated and with daily medication my thyroid levels can be controlled...

Well, if you don't like the diagnoses then you get a second opinion, Right? Right, I answered myself :)

So with the recommendation of my Family Doctor, we went to see another surgeon. Well, with the nuts kicked in, his diagnosis seemed better. The Doc says, it's really difficult to predict and a pathology report of the tumor was the only way to be sure. He added some good news in that the area looked clean and his preference would be to leave the left thyroid but would determine during surgery.

There was an opening in his schedule in one week, are you ready he asked...

I think I was scared....Never had surgery before and aside from few broken bones and a nasty motorcycle accident, never needed hospitals. Also, to gauge my toughness, I peed out a 7mm kidney stone twice with no pain killers. Once, I did it 32,000 feet in the sky with 2 glasses of Chard on a flight to China. That's another story....

So the surgery took place and took a little longer than expected due to the muscle around my neck, guess I got a thick neck, and the Doc had to cut through the muscles to remove the tumor and thyroid. Everything went well. Spent 2 days in the hospital in a private room and a week at home with my private nurse (my Wife :) )

A week later the pathology report came back ALL CLEAR - No Cancer!

Here's an interesting part for us "Gringos" with a choice....I had the tests and surgery done here in TJ. Over the years, I had only good experiences in Mexico and while not 'state of the art' compared to the North, Doctor's and Nurses were more accessible and showed more compassion.

The best Nurse was my Wife and she took such great care of me :) Only issue, in the hospital the nurse asked me if wanted a sponge bath and my Wife said no :(

Ok, let's look at prices. In the US, my surgery with all the tests would have run about $100K.

In TJ, my surgery was done with the surgeon, the hospital doctor as assistant, my family doctor, anesthesiologist, and a nurse. The hospital stay and all the tests leading up to the surgery.

TOTAL COST under $4K...

How is this possible??? Why is our System so expensive?

Make it a Great Day!!
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2016 at 09:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Genecag  
Great to hear a happy ending to a health scare!!! Salud Amigos!

Don't forget to get an EKG for your heart as well. 2 of my friends suffered heart attacks around 50 as well and luckily survived.

Here's my story...

About 18 months ago, they found a lump in my neck and after some tests found it to be a mass of fat or liquid..... Since I didn't feel anything wrong, I procrastinated and fast forward 14 months. One day in La Paz, I feel like there is a slight electrical shock where the tumor is located and have some discomfort swallowing and at times taking a breath.

Back for more tests and the thing Grew and now was the size of a golf ball. So surgery is immanent. Through a family referral, I see a surgeon. The Doctor looks through the Blood Tests, Sonogram, MRI and delivers the message: You GOt CANCER!

What?! But, but, I say, the tests were negative....

The Doc says, Being male and the size of the tumor and being part of the Thyroid, sorry it's cancer.

Wow, what a kick in the huevos...

The Doctor recommend surgery and removal of both thyroids and the tumor. She said these types of cancer are not aggressive and can be well treated and with daily medication my thyroid levels can be controlled...

Well, if you don't like the diagnoses then you get a second opinion, Right? Right, I answered myself :)

So with the recommendation of my Family Doctor, we went to see another surgeon. Well, with the nuts kicked in, his diagnosis seemed better. The Doc says, it's really difficult to predict and a pathology report of the tumor was the only way to be sure. He added some good news in that the area looked clean and his preference would be to leave the left thyroid but would determine during surgery.

There was an opening in his schedule in one week, are you ready he asked...

I think I was scared....Never had surgery before and aside from few broken bones and a nasty motorcycle accident, never needed hospitals. Also, to gauge my toughness, I peed out a 7mm kidney stone twice with no pain killers. Once, I did it 32,000 feet in the sky with 2 glasses of Chard on a flight to China. That's another story....

So the surgery took place and took a little longer than expected due to the muscle around my neck, guess I got a thick neck, and the Doc had to cut through the muscles to remove the tumor and thyroid. Everything went well. Spent 2 days in the hospital in a private room and a week at home with my private nurse (my Wife :) )

A week later the pathology report came back ALL CLEAR - No Cancer!

Here's an interesting part for us "Gringos" with a choice....I had the tests and surgery done here in TJ. Over the years, I had only good experiences in Mexico and while not 'state of the art' compared to the North, Doctor's and Nurses were more accessible and showed more compassion.

The best Nurse was my Wife and she took such great care of me :) Only issue, in the hospital the nurse asked me if wanted a sponge bath and my Wife said no :(

Ok, let's look at prices. In the US, my surgery with all the tests would have run about $100K.

In TJ, my surgery was done with the surgeon, the hospital doctor as assistant, my family doctor, anesthesiologist, and a nurse. The hospital stay and all the tests leading up to the surgery.

TOTAL COST under $4K...

How is this possible??? Why is our System so expensive?
It's because of necessary multi-million dollar malpractice insurance policies. The lawers in the US will file a huge claim for just about anything. Not so in Mexico

Bob Durrell
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2016 at 04:35 AM

Cancer is still a crap shoot. My friend and I were both diagnosed with prostate cancer at about the same time and with the same severity. He's now dead and I'm cured.

Strange thing is that he for sure his was minor (PSA 8) and I was sweating bullets for 2 years (PSA 35).
Makhaon

[*] posted on 4-6-2016 at 06:07 AM

DR, your answer to Genecag's important question focuses on a small part of the problem. Our tort law system and the expenses from it including the cost of malpractice insurance are a part, but only a small part of the high cost of healthcare. In the United States healthcare is the most expensive in the world for complex reasons. We pay twice as much per capita as the next First World country.

While the care some of us can receive is the best in the world, our health care system is broken, fragmented and very inefficient. We spend too much money and must depend too much on the hard work and integrity on our healthcare professionals. Our healthcare system must be reformed.

Forgive me for opening this can further but it must be.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2016 at 06:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
Quote: Originally posted by tripledigitken  

and PSA testing for prostrate cancer too. When i was 62 my PSA shot way up and my doctor ordered a prostrate biopsy. Sure enough the results came back malignant in 6 of the 8 samples taken. Of course the first thing they wanted to do was surgery to remove it followed by chemo and radiation. I told them to reverse that sequence so they gave me some shots of a female hormone to shrink it thprosteen sent me to radiation 5 days a week for 7 weeks. After that my PSA went way down and a second biopsy showed no cancer. That was 16 years ago and my PSA is still normal. I am just as lucky as your brother CB.

Today surgery or radiation are options (a choice of one or the other) (as long as the cancer have not spread beyond the Prostate). Tomorrow hopefully gene therapy can take care of it. In any case do not let it go.

[Edited on 4-6-2016 by rts551]
Genecag
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2016 at 08:21 AM

Another benefit in Mexico is the no appointment for tests...

Blood tests, sono, MRI and X-Rays can all be done just by going to the clinic.

I went for my MRI, waited 20 minutes, they performed the MRI, waited 30 minutes and got the results including a video CD with an expert opinion from the Doctor. The costs for the MRI was $230.

Most of the test clinics provide a diagnosis with the report so it's like getting a second opinion.

My Family Dr. charges me $20 for an hour consultation and I also pay $20 for my Dog's grooming! Go figure....

Make it a Great Day!!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.