Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Messyco
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2016 at 06:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
thanks for the kind words - La Bocana is much, much better but still has quite a ways to go! I too remember "don't be a litterbug." campaign when I was a kid.

well, as long as we are telling stories like the diaper one, I have one to share......and I am not proud that I "lost it", but it is what it is:

when I first started cleaning up here in town, it was before I started teaching and I had a lot of time on my hands. My neighbor and I went out time after time and day after day. I paid the garbage guys to work extra hours and clear away sofas...mattresses...fridges etc. in the afternoons.

One day, I saw a house not too far from ours, that had lots and lots of paper and plastic and was FULL of trash. I went into the store that was next to the house and asked if I could clean up (the yard was fenced but the trash was able to get through.). The girl said no, her mom would not like that. I figured the problem might be that I was a gringo, so I asked: can I have my neighbor Linda come? The girl went in the house and asked her mom. Came back and said NO.

After a second I asked: Can I pay you to clean it up? She went to mom, came back with NO as the response.

At this point I got upset. I had already been cleaning for hours and it was useless if the trash in their yard was going to fly right back where I had cleaned.

Well, I went home and got my camera. I went back to the yard and took a photo. and posted it at the local supermarket with a note that said: Is this what we want for La Bocana?

and I went home and told Les we were soon to be kicked out of La Bocana. It's OK, he said. It's OK.

The next day I went walking and lo and behold! The yard was spotless!!! I mean, it was spotless!

So I ran home and got my camera. As I was standing on the street, the mom comes out and yells WHAT NOW? WHAT IS THE PROBLEM NOW? Her hands were on her hips and I can just envision the scene as I write now.

Oh, I said. Your yard is so beautiful that I want to show everyone how nice it is.

and that ended it. Silvia and I started talking and became good friends. I did post the new photo and said something to the effect of LOOK HOW BEAUTIFUL! Turns out she sells plants and I became her biggest customer.

I still can't believe I did that. What was I thinking????

and want to know the best part of all? Years later, her nephew was to be in the first group of students sponsored to go to college! Julian, precisely the kid we all sent to northern California recently. He is her nephew.

and may I add that her yard has never ever been trashy again.

good for you. a graceful solution.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 8-31-2016 at 06:12 AM

Many years ago (25 I think) I made a comment about the beach at Agua Verdi on the town side that was filthy with garbage. I was told not to complain to the town folk as they would be deeply offended.
If you want a real mess check out Santispac after holy week.

I remember cleaning beaches in S E Asia. We would light a huge bonfire with the garbage. The worst by far was nearby the larger settlements in New Guinea.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 8-31-2016 at 09:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Went to La Mision yesterday. I've never seen a beach so full of garbage. Absolutely disgusting.

What's with Mexicans and trash anyway?

A truck, 2 guys, and few hours would have cleaned it up.

Why not?

S&H Green Stamps, that's such a racist or bigoted statement!

Can you show your outrage about the trash situation in La Mision, without making it seems that all Mexicans have some type of inherent character flaw of being dirty and trashing beaches?

It you ever have taken a trip to Niagara Falls, on the US and Canadian border, many visitors often comment how dirty and filthy the US side is compared to the Canadian side that is very beautiful, clean and upscale. However, I rarely hear comments asking what with Americans and trash anyway.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-31-2016 at 09:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Went to La Mision yesterday. I've never seen a beach so full of garbage. Absolutely disgusting.

A truck, 2 guys, and few hours would have cleaned it up.

Why not?

S&H Green Stamps, that's such a racist or bigoted statement!

Can you show your outrage about the trash situation in La Mision, without making it seems that all Mexicans have some type of inherent character flaw of being dirty and trashing beaches?

It you ever have taken a trip to Niagara Falls, on the US and Canadian border, many visitors often comment how dirty and filthy the US side is compared to the Canadian side that is very beautiful, clean and upscale. However, I rarely hear comments asking what with Americans and trash anyway.

I would rephrase that to read, "what's with some humans and trash, anyway". We have made great progress in this Country (USA) on reducing the loose-trash problem, but it will never be completely solved, apparently. I have never understood why ANYBODY would trash their own nests and surroundings. I think that throwing out trash indiscriminately is kinda sick, actually. The best I can do is just pick-up after them, and I and my Family have done that all our lives. I find that challenging those that litter is counterproductive and just causes anger. Taking personal-responsibility is the ONLY answer, for everyone, in my opinion, and it is soooo easy to do.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2016 at 10:09 AM

I was at a FastTrip (it's like a 7-11) store and two teenage girls were setting in a convertible near the from door. The driver opens her door and sets a large drink container down on the pavement and closes the door. I was walking by and seeing this I said what are you doing the trash can is right in front of you. I did it in a very stern way so she knew I was not happy. She got out and put the drink in the trash can. She may have thought I was the store manager.

I hate seeing trash on the ground or in the parking lot, especially when the trash can is near by.

As they say GOD must love stupid people since he made so many.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 8-31-2016 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I was at a FastTrip (it's like a 7-11) store and two teenage girls were setting in a convertible near the from door. The driver opens her door and sets a large drink container down on the pavement and closes the door. I was walking by and seeing this I said what are you doing the trash can is right in front of you. I did it in a very stern way so she knew I was not happy. She got out and put the drink in the trash can. She may have thought I was the store manager.

I hate seeing trash on the ground or in the parking lot, especially when the trash can is near by.

TMW, that's very brave of you to be able to bully two teen girls to pick up their trash and put it in the trash can.

You must be a really tough guy.

imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2016 at 11:28 AM

I think there's really not a lot of difference between Mexicans & Americans when it comes to littering. The US just has consequences for littering, and also more $ and policy/programs in place to clean it up. If left to our own habits, I doubt the US would look much different. People is people.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2016 at 12:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by imlost  
I think there's really not a lot of difference between Mexicans & Americans when it comes to littering. The US just has consequences for littering, and also more $ and policy/programs in place to clean it up. If left to our own habits, I doubt the US would look much different. People is people.

As a LE person for 30+ years, you have to see littering to implement those laws, and that seldom happens. Money and policy is a big factor, you're right.
As for your "people is people" comment as it relates to litter:---------I say "oink oink" :fire: but it's a valid point.

BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 05:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

I had a neighbor years ago, who would grab all his trash, fast food, etc., and toss it out of his car on the driveway without a care, then walk into his home, even though there was a trash can 25ft away. Despite him being tattoed all over his face, I got along with him, talked shop, let him borrow tools a couple times, but I just cringed when I saw him litter. Then I had seen his dad outside smoking, and he proceeded to toss his lit cigarette against a parked car into the street. Nothing like a good mix of ignorance and indifference.

The thing about trash at the beaches, where wind and foragers are abundant, is that if it isn't contained, or removed in a timely manner, it turns into a huge dispersed mess in short order. Once a can fills up people many just dump stuff on the ground instead of having the common sense or courtesy to pack it up and dispose of it properly. Often not much different in the US or MX on this though.

Happy to hear about the students getting involved, because that is the best place to start. Hopefully they also realize it is not just for vanity, but the health of the many fauna that could die from it.
philodog
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2016 at 08:28 AM

I have a small arroyo behind my house which townsfolk use as a footpath and I clean it up occasionally but I feel bad if a local sees me doing it. My question is do you think locals are offended if a gringo picks up trash in a public area?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2016 at 09:18 AM

No I don't think they would would be offended. It may get them to start thinking about trash and what not to do with it.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2016 at 09:34 AM

I'm with TMW. I would not say a word to anybody (unless they ask) and just do it. I applaud you, just the way you are.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2016 at 03:42 PM

Much less litter in BCS than BC. Any thoughts on that?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2016 at 04:03 PM

It's smaller?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2016 at 04:15 PM

Perhaps more urban in the south? Also perhaps more sophisticated? ( I don't really have a clue)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.