Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: MPG trivia
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2020 at 04:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Lunar tides? I was unaware that other types existed. Such a wealth of scientific knowledge.
Thanks david.
If that was snide sarcasm, it bit you back. :light:

Tides are periodic rises and falls of large bodies of water. Tides are caused by the gravitational interaction between the Earth and the Moon. The gravitational attraction of the moon causes the oceans to bulge out in the direction of the moon. ...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-23-2020 at 08:40 AM

Now you're cooking with fire! :light::biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 4-23-2020 at 10:22 AM

Sooo, back to the MPG discussion... on my last trip to my place in Arizona, I found it strange that if I kept the transmission out of Overdrive, I got better MPG. I am driving a 2020 Tacoma, V6, 6 Speed Auto, 4X4, traveling empty. Traveling from Northern California to Arizona, I travel mostly around 76-77 MPH with the Cruise Control. My mileage during the first part of my trip, just letting the truck computer do it's thing I got 14-16 MPG. After three tanks of gas and manual MPG calculation, I moved my shifter to keep the transmission out of 6th gear and increasing my RPMs, my MPG jumped back up to 20-22 MPG over the next three tanks of gas and keeping the same speed. Hmmmm ??? JH
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-23-2020 at 10:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajamedic  
Sooo, back to the MPG discussion... on my last trip to my place in Arizona, I found it strange that if I kept the transmission out of Overdrive, I got better MPG. I am driving a 2020 Tacoma, V6, 6 Speed Auto, 4X4, traveling empty.

Interesting! Are you running stock tires, or a taller size? I know with my under powered Kia with oversize tires, my engine seems happier in 4th gear than in 5th. Even slight grades, or a head wind takes a toll on the mileage compared to the recommended stock size.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2020 at 10:57 AM

bajamedic, That is a significant difference in mileage! It sounds like your engine is working too hard in 6th gear to maintain that speed, requiring an almost wide-open throttle. There are a few other variables. Are your tires taller than OEM? That would be like giving your truck a 7th gear (too much overdrive). Anything that disturbs the aerodynamics at that speed will have dramatic negative effects. Not just bike racks. Grille guard, winch bumper, lumber rack, shell, headwind, etc.
If you run tall tires on your truck, perhaps think about re-gearing with new ring & pinion sets (both axles for a 4x4).
bajamedic
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2020 at 12:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
bajamedic, That is a significant difference in mileage! It sounds like your engine is working too hard in 6th gear to maintain that speed, requiring an almost wide-open throttle. There are a few other variables. Are your tires taller than OEM? That would be like giving your truck a 7th gear (too much overdrive). Anything that disturbs the aerodynamics at that speed will have dramatic negative effects. Not just bike racks. Grille guard, winch bumper, lumber rack, shell, headwind, etc.
If you run tall tires on your truck, perhaps think about re-gearing with new ring & pinion sets (both axles for a 4x4).

I am running the OEM Stock Tires, air pressure was good, nothing more than my travel bag in the back seat, nothing added on... around 10,000 miles on the odometer. JH
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2020 at 01:26 PM

I would pose this event on Tacoma World forums...
It is very interesting, indeed. I suppose if you were doing a lot of uphill or mountain curves, dropping down one speed gear may be logical. It would keep the tranny from "hunting" for the best gear to maintain your speed. I don't know enough about the 3rd Gen Atkinson 3.5 litre engine or 6-speed transmission to try and guess.

My Tacoma is older (a 2nd Gen), 5 speed auto, 4.0 V-6. 15-20 mpg is my range typically but only over 18 being very careful on California's terrible, ethanol-diluted gas.. not a problem using Mexico's ethanol-free gas.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2020 at 01:42 PM

Maybe the computer is getting bad info from a sensor! With only 10,000 miles, it may be something that could be resolved under warrantee. Any recalls on that model?

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2020 at 01:49 PM

I posted the question on Tacoma World. It is interesting enough that I want to know. Tacoma World is so huge, I took a shot on which forum to ask in... Results may vary!
:light::biggrin:

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2020 at 07:44 PM

That new V6 makes peak horsepower and torque at rather high RPM.
According to Toyota: 278 hp @ 6000 rpm / 265 lb.-ft. @ 4600 rpm
That might explain why it doesn't find it's "sweet spot" of efficiency in overdrive.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2020 at 07:57 PM

Another possibility is that the transmission my be slipping in overdrive. I would think you would be able to tell if it was slipping, but maybe not.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2020 at 07:25 AM

Only one reply (so far) on Tacoma World:

I have noticed similar data, and for me, it was when climbing, even a shallow, but long grades. In the highest gear, the engine is just working a little too hard, and it runs more efficient, down a gear. On a flat surface, or going downhill, then overdrive works great.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2020 at 07:56 AM

Seems the observations are not logical. Possibility is Toyota has not got the software correct?
BTW, does the latest generation have more than one drive mode for the operator to select?
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2020 at 06:00 AM

bajamedic,

Your results are quite interesting. Considering the higher RPM in a lower gear, which is basically more cylinders firing in a given time. That should result in lower MPG, one would think. IDK.

I keep my V6 Ranger in D around town, only OD when on the highway. Grades I encounter on highway I drop back into D.

16-18 around town (D)
21-24 highway/road trips (OD/D)

John
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2020 at 07:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
No Worries.

If the Virus doesn't do it, something else is going to kill ALL of us here before Climate Change does.

I agree...if by your statement you meant most of us here are well north of 50yrs.
If there was somewhere in the next 30 years a hard frost in August, followed by famine i dare say that might count as a climate change die-off.
Impossible? Nope.
bajamedic
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2020 at 03:01 PM

I am planning to make the same trip back to Arizona when people stop panicking over C19, I will try the ECT mode to see if that gives a different effect on my mileage. JH
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2020 at 01:22 PM

When you drive an aerodynamic brick, bike racks aren't a real concern. At the top of Corkscrew Pass, CO.

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2020 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
BTW, does the latest generation have more than one drive mode for the operator to select?

This is what is in my 2019 - it feels like something which you'd call a "Sport Mode" -- more responsive, quicker.

"ECT is an acronym for Electronically Controlled Transmission and the ECT PWR button is a function of the redesigned transmission. When pressed, the ECT PWR button will adjust shift points so you can reach higher RPM levels before shifting into the next gear."

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2020 at 02:00 PM

What do the other two buttons mean and do?

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2020 at 03:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What do the other two buttons mean and do?

The left one is blind spot monitoring. The one on the right is parking assist -- it keeps me from backing into sailboats.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.