Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Traveling with dogs
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2023 at 03:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
That's a tough situation. It's a long drive but I know a couple East Coasters that do it. I also know folks that regularly fly from Seattle to Loreto with a large dog.

I'm not sure we could make the diagonal cross-country drive in less than a week (one way), so it might be something we can't do while my wife is still working.

Well, here's the solution; it's time for your wife to retire so the three of you can leisurely drive to and around Baja. From a Class A motorhome to a comfy SUV towing a small travel trailer, whatever style you choose.

Just do it!

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2023 at 03:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I would be honored to share a row of seats with you and Poppy if I was on your flight. My dog is too large and prone to excitabilty to even think about about buying her a seat.

About five years ago, my neighbor adopted a pup and for lack a good name she just started calling it Puppy until she could think of something. I suggested calling her Poppy instead, but it never caught on.

We just learned that Poppy came from a breeder in Arkansas who called her "Sparkle." She was sold to what turned out to be a backyard breeder in Mississippi her renamed her "Poppy" at 8 weeks old. The new owner was the target of an animal abuse case that resulted in her arrest in December 2022. Poppy was in and out of shelters and foster care until we adopted her in February 2023. Needless to say, she's still trying to figure out how to be a dog in a household environment. Being on an airplane could be very interesting...

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2023 at 05:36 PM

pauldavidmena - Sharing in hopes this helps.

25 or so years ago, we regularly were driving the peninsula for numerous reasons, with our fur-babies.

In 1997 we needed to fly -- with Roxy and Opus [pictured with her "don't even think about leaving without me" face on!]

Well in advance of the trip, we purchased (2) kennels. One large one for Roxy and a small one for Opus. We put some pillows and towels in each and left them open for the girls to explore.

At night-time, or naptime, they regularly snuggled. So when Roxy ventured into the larger kennel, Opus followed her. Soon enough we would find them sleeping in it together. When it came time to travel, we decided to put them together. It worked out. They needed a little extra lovin' after the flight, and I was prepared with water for them.

Our Vet said do not give them tranquilizers saying they tend to make pets more anxious.

Alaska Airlines is awesome when it comes to flying with pets in kennels. They do require you make a reservation because they have limits to how many kennels they will allow on a flight. If you were able to fly NON-Stop to San Diego, rather than Seattle --
the non-stop flight from San Diego to Cabo is much shorter. And this way you would not have two very long back-to-back flight trips for your fur-babe. They came to me and advised when the kennel was loaded on, and said the dog and cat looked perfectly fine.

Whatever you do, wishing you pleasant travels.
Lori

Us and Roxy and Opus collage.jpg - 64kB

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2023 at 07:30 PM

Always check with airline first, though. Most airlines won't accept cargo animals during hot summer months.

When I flew Viva Aerobus from Guadalajara to La Paz once, they were great. When I checked in with her, the guy at the flight desk told me they wouldn't be boarding her for 45 minutes, so I could take her out for a walk until then, so she didn't have to be in the kennel any longer than necessary.
And they didn't put her in cargo with the bags- they had another area, climate controlled, under the c-ckpit.

And very true about not giving the dog tranks. I gave mine a valium, and it had the opposite to the desired effect.

[Edited on 8-1-2023 by surabi]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-31-2023 at 07:45 PM

I like animals better than people

[Edited on 8-1-2023 by mtgoat666]

[Edited on 8-1-2023 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

stillnbaja
Junior Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-31-2023 at 08:18 PM

yeah I don't know anything about the dog deal but im betting that gentleman and I visit the same barber.....
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2023 at 05:09 AM

In 1996, I moved from Minnesota to Massachusetts with two cats. I had heard that the now-defunct Northwest Airlines had the best setup for pets, and indeed they were in a separate, climate controlled part of the plane below the c-ckpit. When I arrived at Logan Airport, the cats were exhausted but glad to be freed from their crates in my apartment.

We have some limited experience with tranquilizing dogs, and none of it involves air travel. Our late dog Tito hated the vet so much it elevated his vital signs and put the staff at risk. We were given a "chill protocol" to administer to him several hours before the appointment. The result was a rubber-legged rag doll who had to be carried into the office. We didn't do that again.

In trying to address some of Poppy's unwanted behavior, including occasional aggression toward me, the same vet suggested some sedation. It mellowed her out, but didn't change the behavior. In fact she seemed a bit agitated that she was less "present" than usual. We stopped using the drug and have focused on behavior modification.

Needless to say, we couldn't pass her off as a service dog!

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 8-1-2023 at 10:12 AM

Here is a great video explanation about animals traveling in the cargo section on planes. Sadly due to all the fake service animal vest/certificates that can be bought online, airlines have now cracked down and are now requiring further documentation.

One thing not mentioned in the video...it is against FAA regulations for a passenger traveling with an in-cabin pet to sit on the emergency row exit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79tZMJU-HB4
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.