Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6  
Author: Subject: HURRICANE RELIEF SUPPLIES
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 11:08 PM

Scholarship's "bucket brigade" is on the road in the a.m., Chula Vista by nightfall, GN by Friday eve & Mulege Saturday morning.

Couple thousand pounds on the truck, definitely an overload. Can't drive at night cuz the headlights shine up, not forward. Steering is a bit light, but oughta hold in the curvas peligrosas. Once more into the breach.

Thanks to all who have, and will continue contributing. We got $1700 from the Placerville Lutherans (and all these folks did was call a meeting and pass the hat!!!), $1000 donated in Rio Vista, another $1100 in PayPal & other money donations, and have another $2000 pledged. That's $5800!!!
The truck has the first $1500 in food, tarps, visqueen, duct tape, dog food, cat food, baggies to break down big bags of beans-rice-pet food-etc. to familia size packets. I could wedge a couple of post cards in there also, but not the stamps.

Will post the latest on the ground needs as soon as possible. Wish me luck on bumming somebody's floor to grab some zzzz's before the slingshot trip back.

Sounds like BBP has staked out the inaccessible areas that got creamed, has no backup and is doing what they do best. I will try & check on the ground interface, as it looks like they are basing out of strips near or in Mulege, and can probably use some ground help. I'm thinking folks who could bring down a self contained trailer or motorhome with gen, water tanks, etc. could set up near BBP's bases to help by receiving stuff coming down on the road, sorting, packing in drop-ready sets. Just spit-balling here. If you have the gear, time & inclination, think about it & stay tuned.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2009 at 06:31 AM

Sounds like a super effort on your part! Have a safe, hassle free trip.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Siri

[*] posted on 9-10-2009 at 06:42 AM
Latest from Baja Bush Pilots

The BBP have a new update re: their airlift project. While the full update is available on their website, I am making a shorter post for Nomads--removing some info meant only for pilots, and adding some info that the pilots already know, bu the general public might not. I have also created a separate thread called "Baja Bush Pilots-Hurricane Jimena Relief Effort" and hope to keep most of the airlift info there.

BBP has a large group of planes preparing to depart. They still need additional helicopters. Planes will collect donated items from designated drop-off locations, then fly them down to Baja. Once there, they will further distribute "dispensas" (boxes of aid donted to Cruz Roja) to smaller towns and individual ranches in the Sierras by helicopter. In addition, they will be assisting/evacuating specifc people in need as determined by Cruz Roja on the ground.

HOW CAN YOU HELP:

1. Physical Donations: We have a much shorter list of what is needed urgently (and "aircraft-friendly) as well as an updated list of drop-off locations (which are near small airports where the BBP can pick them up for transport to Baja). Most of the locations are in southern CA. I will be posting both the needed donations and drop-off locations lists.

2. Money Donations: BBP is accepting financial donations which will go both to cover a portion of fuel expenses and the also directly to Cruz Roja on the ground. BBP works closely with Cruz Roja and trusts their on-the-ground assessments of how to best allocate the funds. Jack has been working very hard to get the Mexican government to cover their fuel expenses and he is making a lot of progress. The less $ going to fuel, the more going directly to Cruz Roja. Although there is not a way to donate online by credit card, we have 2 options: mail a check or credit card by phone.

I will do another post shortly, either here or in the "Baja Bush Pilots-Hurricane Jimena Airlift Relief" thread...just want to make sure you can all find it.

Thanks for everyone's help, things are really starting to move now (literally!).
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 9-10-2009 at 08:56 AM
1st CC Donation to BBP

Thursday Morning, 9-10

I just called and spoke with Siri, who is processing credit card donations for BBP. Very friendly, quick, and easy process.

Siri said I was the first donation she'd accepter for BBP.

I love the work these folks do, and I encourage any of my Nomad Amigos who are able and willing, to give Siri a call at 714-453-9997 and make a donation.

Best,
djh

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
kp_martin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2009 at 10:03 AM
Drop off locations

Quote:
Originally posted by redhilltown
Sorry but I have been TRYING to follow all the threads about donations but still am trying to find a drop off spot in L.A. area...I have a few boxes of gloves/respirators/first aid supplies. Feel free to U2U me if you know of anyone/anywhere I can do this in the next few days. Thanks!

bajabushpilots.com has a listing of drop/off & p/u locations. Be sure to call the number on the particular location for info.

kevin

Sir Wilfred Grenfell said,

The service we render others� is the rent we pay for our room on earth. OR
-----
She was only a moonshiner\'s daughter but I loved her still!
EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2009 at 10:59 AM

In Ensenada catching Bfast.

Very amiable reception @ Aduana. Presented my two manifests- my stuff I should be declaring, and Donations. A bilingual agent was assigned, I addressed him en espanol, asked if he had heard about the flooding in Mulege. He said yes, he knew Coyote, Burro and hermosa Mulege. We opened the pickup topper to inspect the load. All my stuff was first (my manifest was on top of the two, so load & paperwork are in same order, I suggest this for easy crossing BTW). Thru the windows he could see the food, adult diapers, tarps, donation boxes, etc. By the dollar amounts I claimed on the manifests he could see I was honest.

We proceeded back to the paperwork table, he prepared my Aduana receipt, I paid my taxes at the bank, got my Aduana stamped copy for my stuff, and was on my way, with a big thanks for all we are doing for the people of Mexico. Outstanding treatment by Aduana. Who says crossing the border is tough?

I'll be off air all day, maybe tonite, will try to post from Carlos Milon's internet across from Equipales asap.

Got an email from International Community Foundation in San Diego dated 9/10; they are up and running on hurricane relief. Check their website (google as I don't have time for link). They will be broad based I believe, see what they are offering. Thanks ICF!!!!!!!

EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2009 at 10:04 PM

See my post of this p.m. under Baja News>Jimena thread for my update from Mulege, too lengthy to repost here.

EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2009 at 06:46 AM
Micro-Credit as Relief Strategy

Every local economy needs its various small businesses running to keep money moving to all levels of the population. I posted the following on the Jimena link. Some more thoughts on this follow.

Saul's, Casa Yee, and ALBA's are all closed in Mulege for cleaning. Food inventory below the flood line is condemned by the health dept. Store owners operate on "working capital" that includes inventory. If your favorite tienda owner (any kind of tienda or reataurant) is in dires straights, and keeps a credit book of those who took goods and promised to pay, you can make a quick and very effective Micro-Credit "loan" by giving the owner some funds to show on deposit on your account. then you can sign for goods at a later date, thereby getting repaid for the advance. This hits the tienda owner right in the sweet spot- he can restock, maybe turn the inventory over a few times and make a buck or two, and then you get your money back in a nearly painless fashion. Limited only by how much you feel confident in leaving on advance. Lets keep our favorite businesses moving.

This strategy will work well w/any local business that:
a) is honest
b) will take an advance against future purchases
c) is committed to staying in business

Your local hair dresser, masseuse, hardware store, internet spot, bar, lunch joint, tortilleria, store of whatever kind, etc. w/the above qualifications and who may be on the verge of financial destitution is a possibility. This allows them to restock supplies, etc. and get their business back to "normal" and to pay you back in goods or services you would have used anyway. Hopefully they can serve other customers in the mean time using that working capital and stay afloat.

While on the road & in Mulege I talked this up w/a few friends, and using personal funds we would have spent anyway, raised in excess of $5,000 in such advances that are now in Mulege. Tears were shed, beers was drank, and there were beautiful Kodak moments. I recommend this practice.

lindsay
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2009 at 11:03 PM
Thanks for the Update :-)

I really appreciate all your efforts Mike & when I lived in Mulege from 1998-2000, I always will remember the first time Saul offered me credit in his store. I thought that I had more money on me at the time and told him sheepishly that I would leave my groceries at the counter with him, go home and then come back with the rest of the money.

With his trademark kindness and sincerity, he told me not to worry and pulled out an index card to start my credit with him. I can still see his smile reassuring me and saying it was no problem. So, thank you for your efforts to support Saul and the other local grocers who are friends as well.

Wishing you and my beloved second home all the best during these most challenging of times!!
EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2009 at 06:18 PM

Folks- Donations thru Mulege Student Scholarship Program are above $8,000 thanks to generous Nomads, and lots of you. I distributed the first $1,500 worth in Mulege a couple days ago (my head is still spinning).

We, the Scholarship, will finish out distribution w/the additional info I gathered; see the Jimena thread under Baja News for more.

Now I believe is time to switch to funding the largest possible money pool we can assist in accommodating thru Rotary. Posada-Bush Pilot, Randy Kephart, is the current President, and has a goal of $50,000. We have talked in very preliminary terms about how this money could/should be used. I have suggested long term roof repairs for elderly who have a hard time paying for and organizing that type of work, but that is only a suggestion to get the dialogue going, and I hope to see lots of further suggestions and discussion. If we could raise ten times the goal, it could be put to use and still not fix everything and everybody that can't fix their own situation. This will be a fund that will identify and serve serious needs, well considered as to efficiency and outcome, and well organized as Rotary is famous for.

In-kind donations are being assembled and being delivered thru several conduits. These address patching short term needs like food, clothing, bed linens, first aid supplies etc., and the Scholarship as well as others who are mobilized will fulfill the charter Nomads and other contributors have ordained. For long term needs:

Now is the Time, and Rotary is the Spearpoint!!!

I will be sending further PayPal donations to Rotary from this point forward unless instructed otherwise. Please take this situation to your church, civic group, poker pals, local Rotary Club, AA meeting, pagan worship center, Sierra Club, Boy Scouts, scooter club, c-cktail lounge, etc. and help Rotary make a heavy duty, long term repair in Mulege. We had a local Lutheran Church group (not the whole congregation mind you, just the Bible study group) call a meeting and pass the hat; the evening before I pulled out to head down for Trip#1 they handed me an envelope with $1,700 cash from that hat, and no more instruction than: "Put it where you believe it will make a difference." If they can do that, we can overstuff Rotary's box and exceed their goal. The more we raise, the more can be fixed for people who do not have the resources to fix it themselves.
Now is the Time, and Rotary is the Spearpoint.

ecomujeres
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2009 at 01:39 AM

Mulege on the KXLY News in Spokane, WA

If you were like me, and couldn't get your browser to work with the live stream, here is the link to watch the first installment about pilots in WA state assisting in the Baja relief effort:

http://www.kxly.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipI... for Life is one CDA man's mission&vt1=v&at1=Sport&d1=147100&LaunchPageAdTag=Search Results&activePane=info&rnd=18442221

Sorry, but I don't know how to make a shorter hyperlink on the forum, so these are long links.

And the article/text is available at:

http://www.kxly.com/Global/story.asp?S=11145582

These are also available on the consolidated links page, so pass the word. They are supposed to continue the story all next week on the 6 pm news. You can watch later, by searching for "Mulege" (that's how I found the video/story).

http://www.lasecomujeres.org (Bilingual environmental education about Baja California)

Check out: http://www.meloncoyote.org (project of Journalism to Raise Environmental Awareness; a quarterly news bulletin for the Gulf of California Region).
sweetcaroline

[*] posted on 9-22-2009 at 05:39 PM

I can't seem to find how to view the latest articles on Mulege that were supposed to aired. Could you please help??
reneske
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2009 at 09:56 PM

Thank God for the Baja Bush Pilots and Engineer Mike. It is people like you who restore our faith in mankind. We will be traveling to Mulege and we will make sure that we make a donation to the Rotary rebuild. Thanks for all you all do to help our great little town recover as it is full of wonderful people. Your efforts do not go unnoticed. Thanks again.:yes:
Destiny

[*] posted on 9-23-2009 at 07:07 AM
Looking for someone heading south from Medford ORE area

Hi there everyone,

First off I would like to tip my hat to all those who are doing so much for the victims of Jimena. It goes to show what great spirit you all have.

I have a friend who usually travels down in October, unfortunately, this year she isn't going to be able to make it until the 1st of November but she would like to send some towels, pillows and blankets as soon as possible. If there is anyone heading South that will be passing through this area and has room in their vehicle, please let me know and I will pass the message on:)

Thanks again everyone!
ViajeraGal
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2009 at 04:09 PM

A caution to those driving down soon, as today Tropical Storm OLAF is dumping a lot more rain around Loreto and environs, and there is report of a landslide in the mountains south of Loreto; expected to be blocked for a couple days possibly.
Posada-BushPilot
Nomad

Mood: Baja Brained

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 08:17 AM
Mike Fleming's micro credit idea

I really liked Mike's idea of advancing some cash to your favorite merchant to help build up inventory so I went to the Mercado in Mulege where I buy most of my groceries and asked the owner if it would help him.
He said, yes, it would be a big help and he was very appreciative.

So, if you want to help out your favorite merchant who is struggling after Jimena, give them some cash on account for future purchases. You will make a friend for life.
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 09:31 AM

By this time, has the gov't stepped in and brought anything???? I've not been able to find a thing about this????? Baja Bush Pilots. I take my hat off to you. And I also pray for you in your many hours in the air. May God be watching over you, where ever you may fly.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 11:16 AM

Mike has got some great ideas. if i knew the man i'd buy him dinner!

good on ya Mike for all you're doing!

Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 10-6-2009 at 07:10 AM

Still nothing to report on whether the Mexican Gov't has shown up with supplies & funds for rebuilding Mulege???? I would be dumbfounded if they were a 'no show'????????????
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 10-6-2009 at 07:12 AM

the gov't was there in force when we were there a couple of weeks ago....lots of food,tarps,and other supplies showing up everyday...the town's coming back!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.