Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  14
Author: Subject: Close call today on Highway 1 with bicyclists
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 08:15 PM
SURE BENT RIM

AS a travel guy with time on roads from Alaska to panama in my habits..I would not like to hit a cow,,deer,,anything,,,but ,,,THE thought of hitting a mom on a bike with a kid in the backseat is F-ING Scary...WHAT do you not understand here ??? I have never met someone that wants to hit a bike..............I have met 10000's that have shared storeys of running off a small road to save a bike rider.....For me it boil;s down to the SIMPLE FACT OF LIFE...If your in my lane and I have to dodge a rock,tree,,truck,,your a given...That's HOW people,,folks work..And before you shoot your mouth off I have been doing SAR on the open ocean since 1985...putting my a$$ on the line for people I have never met!!! Bikes on hwy 1 Baja is STUPID...really simple ! Oh BTW..I have been driving this road since 77...so maybe I know stuff you don't !!!

[Edited on 1-21-2014 by captkw]

[Edited on 1-21-2014 by captkw]
bent-rim
Nomad

Mood: Living la vida mota

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 09:05 PM

I was advocating for driving a safe speed around blind corners so that you don't have worry about hitting anything. My first rip to Baja was in 1972. San Felipe didn't have pavement yet. I would never bicycle on Hwy 1, I don't like putting my life in stranger's hands.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 09:06 PM

10 pages and 200 posts.

Seems like a perfect subject for ranting ....
Sandlefoot
Nomad

Mood: Home

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bent-rim
I'm curious as to what the difference is between a bicyclist, broken down car or a cow in the road around a bind curve? Anyone care to comment?

A broken down car is there and out of any ones control, bad luck; A cow is there trying to survive the Baja weather and lack of rain (grass grows on the sides of the road better because of the water that runs off when it rains is more concentrated there) and is to dumb to know they can die on that road. A bicyclist, if they are luckier than a broken down car and smarter than a cow, have the ability to make a choice as to be there or not. :light::light::light:

" Don't find fault, find a remedy; anyone can complain." Henry Ford

If you are not living on the edge...you are taking up to much space!

Just because it may not be a good idea does not mean it will not be fun!!!

Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 09:45 PM

Hmmm, I see all these attacks on the Nomads questioning the safety of riding bikes on free roadways in Baja just makes me shake my head. Bikes would be somewhat safer on Toll Roads but again very dangerous. It is not Nomads hitting these people on bikes, walking on roadways, animals or other cars it is by far the Mexican Nationals themselves. We have had two people killed by speeding Mexican National Drivers out front of Las Gaviotas this past year. So, to act like this is a Nomad thing of hating those on bikes is way off open your eyes.

Nomads that drive a lot in Baja and Mainland know how dangerous these free roads are for animals, people walking and people riding bikes, as it is just the way it is. Trying to tell the Mexican National drivers to slow down is like telling them to STOP at STOP SIGNS, just isn't going to happen anytime soon. Now, I agree there are some Americans doing the same thing but get real here there are many more Mexicans doing this by a long shot. So there is "No Need To Be Rude or Mean" when people express the concern over this. It is my hope that no Nomad suffers any harm by any means in Baja or anywhere else.

Bike riders can say what you want but bike riding is dangerous on these roads, even if you see it coming you won't have the means to get off the road without injury or ability to gain enough speed to get away from the danger. The odds of having something bad happen to you while riding a bike on these free roads without proper paved shoulders is a very high. However, we all make choices, so if you ride bikes and want to do it no matter the real danger then do it. A number of sports are dangerous we participate in, so have at it.

This is why when I am driving Baja I like to use the toll road but not enough toll road since it ends in Ensenada. When driving down mainland to Los Mochis and Mazatlan, I always use the toll roads even though it cost me about $72 dollars one way to Mazatlan, as it is MONEY WELL SPENT!!! I also try to be off the roads before dark as the odds at night increase for accidents and not in any rush because you might miss some FUN. Enjoy the GOOD LIFE every day like it is your last, since it just might be amigos!! Here's to having FUN & MORE FUN. Take Care & Travel Safe----"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 06:58 PM

no forget

HIT THE BRAKES

save a life

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joerover
no forget

HIT THE BRAKES

save a life
thats #19 joe, are we getting close?:?:
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 07:23 PM

Close to this thread dying, I hope.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
pleeese:lol: did the boat sink?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
pleeese:lol: did the boat sink?

Wow. That was deep on many levels. Dig it.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 07:42 PM

Perfectly said. Depressing but true!!! Haha. :)
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 11:22 PM

Slow down
Share the road
Don't be a Fred
Peace, love and fish tacos - and show the love to bikers (don't be a hater)
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2014 at 10:43 PM

haven't been here in a week or so, and its still goin on. I'll just say if I come around a corner and its me, the car comin at me, and the guy on the bike, the guy on the bike loses every time. he should not have been there. it's not safe.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-23-2014 at 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by honda tom
haven't been here in a week or so, and its still goin on. I'll just say if I come around a corner and its me, the car comin at me, and the guy on the bike, the guy on the bike loses every time. he should not have been there. it's not safe.

You should slow down, share the road!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-23-2014 at 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

----totally unrealistic, Goat.

Barry
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-23-2014 at 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Quote:

----totally unrealistic, Goat.

Barry

Barry,
You already hit a few bicyclists,... You REALLY need to slow down, share the road!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2014 at 07:36 AM

bicyclists like cows... just don't belong on the highway. So far I have been able to avoid both with my bumper. I am cautious about any debris on the road.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 1-24-2014 at 07:49 AM

The goat maybe doesnt drive the baja hiway? Sometimes we dont have a chance to slow down, when you encounter these bikes on a curve or even worse a long hill, with a big truck or bus coming atcha.....Much as the goat would like everyone to hold hands in a circle and sing kumbyah.....I am not going to get killed avoiding a bicycle...

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2014 at 07:56 AM
Looonng thread

Haven't those pesky bicyclists reached the tip of South America by now?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2014 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:

has nothing to do with speed.
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  14

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.