Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  99    101    103  ..  120
Author: Subject: The palm tree is going two feet under water
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 1-4-2024 at 11:09 AM

Cliffy,

Generalists know nothing about everything. At the other end of the spectrum PhDs know everything about nothing.

The better engineers are always mindful that Murphy and his sister Rosie (scenario) will always review their work on a pass/fail basis. The occasional pass only being conditional.

In the real world unlike the education system everyone doesn’t get an “award” for just showing up.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2024 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Not credit necessarily but distinguished family history? Right up there. There's some pride in that.

Isn't pride one of the seven deadly sins? Funny how people always talk about being proud of this or that, but no one ever talks about themselves being gluttonous, envious, lustful, slothful, wrathful or greedy, as if it were a good thing.

[Edited on 1-4-2024 by surabi]

What a silly thing to write. Pride being discussed isn't a sin. If you are religious enough to believe what you've written, fine with me. Not me or the proud people I know.

Actually, the only sin I saw, that gave me pause, was lust. I'm working on that. It doesn't show, though. Blame it on Scorpio Rising.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 1-4-2024 at 11:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

I wonder how many pages of this "Off Topic light" thread Doug has deleted along the way?

:rolleyes:

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2024 at 12:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

I wonder how many pages of this "Off Topic light" thread Doug has deleted along the way?

:rolleyes:

It'd be interesting to see the breakdown on posts by individual.
I'm sure Doug could do that!

Then buy that handful of guys a hotel room in baja with as much beer and tequila as needed along with a big bag of mota, lock'em in it and not let them out until they loose and subsequently lose their rancor.:light:

Doug has far more patience than I do.
But, heck, it also helps with traffic and that is the bottom line.

Peace!

[Edited on 1-6-2024 by soulpatch]
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2024 at 02:15 PM
East Coast land continues to collapse at a worrying rate

In a follow-up study just published in the journal PNAS Nexus, the researchers tally up the mounting costs of subsidence—due to settling, groundwater extraction, and other factors—for those communities and their infrastructure. Using satellite measurements, they have found that up to 74,000 square kilometers (29,000 square miles) of the Atlantic Coast are exposed to subsidence of up to 2 millimeters (0.079 inches) a year, affecting up to 14 million people and 6 million properties. And over 3,700 square kilometers along the Atlantic Coast are sinking more than 5 millimeters annually. That’s an even faster change than sea-level rise, currently at 4 millimeters a year. (In the map below, warmer colors represent more subsidence, up to 6 millimeters.)

https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/01/east-coast-ground-co...
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2024 at 03:44 PM

Must be caused by the weight of the CO2 we are putting in the atmosphere!

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2024 at 11:17 AM

Has anybody paused the beatings long enough to check the pulse on this horse? I'm pretty sure it died long ago!

In Memory of E-57
stillnbaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2024 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
Has anybody paused the beatings long enough to check the pulse on this horse? I'm pretty sure it died long ago!

I don't know sure appears to be immortal!
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2024 at 01:08 PM

It’s more about taking turns beating people with dead palm fronds as a substitute for “discussing things political” which is proscribed here in! But wait, its only early January and things will get much worse!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-8-2024 at 02:21 PM

I am proud of that palm tree, standing defiantly in the face of a rising sea level!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2024 at 02:22 PM

👍👍👍:bounce:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-8-2024 at 05:05 PM

Leonardo DiCaprio is the most trusted authority on the climate crisis — beating Greta Thunberg, Al Gore, and the Rock
https://www.businessinsider.com/leonardo-dicaprio-most-trust...

Who is Vittoria Ceretti, Leonardo DiCaprio's rumored girlfriend?
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/vittoria-ceretti-leonardo-di...

How media and pop culture are shaping the sustainability agenda
https://www.nrgmr.com/our-thinking/entertainment/sustainabil...

Climate change, pests threaten Mexico City's iconic palms
https://phys.org/news/2023-08-climate-pests-threaten-mexico-...

How Greta Thunberg Transformed Existential Dread Into a Movement
https://www.newyorker.com/books/under-review/how-greta-thunb...

[Edited on 1-9-2024 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2024 at 05:24 PM

That’s understandable. DiCaprio probably can balance his checkbook.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2024 at 03:45 PM

See How 2023 Shattered Records to Become the Hottest Year
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/09/climate/2023-warmest-year...

“Last year was Earth’s warmest by far in a century and a half.”

“Averaged across last year, temperatures worldwide were 1.48 degrees Celsius, or 2.66 Fahrenheit, higher than they were in the second half of the 19th century, the European Union climate monitor announced on Tuesday. That is warmer by a sizable margin than 2016, the previous hottest year.”

“When scientists combine their satellite readings with geological evidence on the climate’s more distant past, 2023 also appears to be among the warmest years in at least 100,000…”

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2024 at 04:13 PM

OSG,

BS alert!

Wasn’t it Paul the NYT’s prize winning economist who forecast the 2017 Stockmarket crash?

70% of the earth’s surface is water or ice. Prior to 30 years ago we had only occasional measurements from ships and from the shore for that 70%. If the historic data wasn’t so thin hundreds of grad students wouldn’t be manually going through old ship logs transferring the weather data, such as it is.

Prior to WW2 we didn’t even have good coverage of most of the land. Without satellites we still don’t!

Inferring historic ocean temperatures from secondary sources is nothing like actually measuring the real surface temperature.

The only people who believe this also believe Europe has fewer gun deaths than the US!

[Edited on 1-9-2024 by RFClark]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2024 at 05:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
OSG,

BS alert!

Wasn’t it Paul the NYT’s prize winning economist who forecast the 2017 Stockmarket crash?

70% of the earth’s surface is water or ice. Prior to 30 years ago we had only occasional measurements from ships and from the shore for that 70%. If the historic data wasn’t so thin hundreds of grad students wouldn’t be manually going through old ship logs transferring the weather data, such as it is.

Prior to WW2 we didn’t even have good coverage of most of the land. Without satellites we still don’t!

Inferring historic ocean temperatures from secondary sources is nothing like actually measuring the real surface temperature.

The only people who believe this also believe Europe has fewer gun deaths than the US!

clarkles:
What is your point? I cant make much sense of your anti-science luddite posts of random unrelated tidbits you google up.

P.s. thank you for your service!

Woke!

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2024 at 06:22 PM

Go back even further in time and that temp isn't even close to what the earth has experienced
Its easy to cherry pick a time frame and base a postulation on what serves your needs and narrative.

The question still remains - So what?

Only wild guesses and so far inaccurate predictions surface. Can we spell "Al Gore" and the prediction that the world should now be dead?
Of course there are many more "predictions" that the world should be dead by now or in short order.

And anyone (including highly educated climate scientists) who challenge the preferred narrative are labeled as kooks or deniers and silenced

BTW Just what is the Scientific Process? Can someone explain it to me? Seems its now lost in religion

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2024 at 06:42 PM

“Historians measure past temperatures” in the midst of the ocean! Remarkable! Perhaps they used a yardstick!

We have 30 years of good data, another 70 years of spotty data and for the 70% that’s not land few direct measurements prior to that.

[Edited on 1-10-2024 by RFClark]

[Edited on 1-10-2024 by RFClark]
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2024 at 07:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
Go back even further in time and that temp isn't even close to what the earth has experienced
Its easy to cherry pick a time frame and base a postulation on what serves your needs and narrative.

The question still remains - So what?

People with a brain in their head don't have the question "So what?" if the earth can no longer support human and animal life.
Your constant litany about the earth having experienced extreme cold and heat hundreds of thousands of years ago is one of the most inane climate change denials out there. Normal human beings don't care what happened on earth hundreds of thousands of years ago, except in terms of scientific history. We care if our children and grandchildren will be able to survive on this planet.

You obviously don't.

"Only wild guesses and so far inaccurate predictions surface". Uh, wrong again, Cliffy. Plenty of the predictions have come to pass. Go crawl back under your rock now, where you are obviously most comfortable. And maybe bring some elementary school science books with you so you can read up about "What is scientific process, anyway?"

[Edited on 1-10-2024 by surabi]

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Split
1-11-2024 at 08:48 PM
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2024 at 09:48 PM

Doug,

Thanks!
 Pages:  1  ..  99    101    103  ..  120

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.