Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  113    115    117  118
Author: Subject: The palm tree is going two feet under water
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2024 at 11:57 AM

RFClark: I disagree that people are not changing their minds. Ev's of all types are becoming less affordable at the same time our governments are reducing or cancelling subsidies and other positive initiatives.
Here are the results of a recent survey here in Canada regarding changing attitudes towards EV's of all types and the major reasons preventing them from making the jump:

"Despite challenges, 64 per cent of Canadians looking to purchase a new vehicle within the next five years are considering a hybrid, plug-in hybrid, or fully electric vehicle, according new report.

The 2024 Mobility Trend Report by Volvo Car Canada highlighted mixed sentiments toward electric vehicles (EVs) amid economic headwinds. Three-quarters (76 per cent) of those not considering an EV cited high costs as the main barrier. Concerns over infrastructure are also prominent, with 78 per cent agreeing that there isn’t enough publicly available charging infrastructure, and 65 per cent worried about getting stranded due to running out of charge."

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 6-2-2024 at 12:39 PM

OK, mostly I was referring to those here.

BTW, our Kia PHEV averages about 100MPG round trip to COSTCO versus 28MPG for our Nissan Rogue AWD.

Our son is using the Kia Niro EV (2020) we bought used last year when they were cheep. His electricity cost/mile is around $.06/mile US

When we were in Vancouver last fall there were more EVs on the road than in Los Angeles. BC Hydro is giving them away or something.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2024 at 01:18 PM

Well, after only a few months of operating a lightly used Leaf EV with the largest battery, I am left with these conclusions:
Not nearly enough available ChaDeMo fast DC charging stations for longer road trips and they are fast going obsolete, whereas Tesla stations are very available and seldom used. If we limit travel to very local trips within a 70 mile radius this is not an issue and we charge at home for the 140 mile trip if we run only moderate accessories in mild weather. Even after 17-20 years expected battery declines it would be usable as a short trip car.
Nissan does NOT show much interest in keeping past buyers up to date with adapters to Tesla fast DC charge stations. Tesla is constantly over installing new stations and provides users with charge adapters for other types of stations.
I guess you know where I am going with this? A Leaf would require a second vehicle for longer trips, the Tesla is usable for long trips if you stop every 3-4 hours for a fast recharge and rest break and I expect them to continuously improve on this range.

Toyota and VW are forecasting solid state batteries in their new EVs within 3-5 years, which should increase the practicality of EVs dramatically(lighter, faster charge rates and longer durability). The downside to this is the present Lithium based batteries will become obsolete.

[Edited on 6-2-2024 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2024 at 01:24 PM

We started with a Leaf in 2013 when Nissan gave a damn. That’s why we’re with Kia now cause Nissan doesn’t give a damn! So far 50K miles and we’re still happy with Kia.

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2024 at 01:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
We started with a Leaf in 2013 when Nissan gave a damn. That’s why we’re with Kia now cause Nissan doesn’t give a damn! So far 50K miles and we’re still happy with Kia.

If I remember right, your Kia is a plug-in hybrid, am i right? What is the plug-in range on electric alone? This is the present trend here, more and more plug-in hybrids showing up. Very short recharge cycles at public chargers while shopping locally but the ability to take long trips on gas.
Meanwhile Toyota is promising this for its future EVs
https://www.pcmag.com/news/toyota-touts-solid-state-evs-with...

[Edited on 6-2-2024 by JDCanuck]

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2024 at 03:13 PM

JD,

We have both a Niro EV - 2020 and a Niro PHEV. The PHEV goes about 38 miles on electric. it has just under 10KW of battery and a level 2 charge port. 2.5hrs to full charge
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-2-2024 at 03:48 PM

I remember seeing a picture posted of a Nissan Leaf in Baja towing a small utility trailer with a generator in it.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2024 at 06:28 PM

My friend's Hyundai Kona EV gets around 250 miles on a full charge, depending on driving conditions. Those who are under the impression that you can't drive long distances with an EV are misinformed. Depends on the vehicle, your driving style, highway vs. around town, etc.

[Edited on 6-3-2024 by surabi]
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2024 at 07:02 PM

When I measure miles I use actual mileage, not the 8% higher miles shown on my odometer, and longer distance trips of course include highway miles at 60 mph or more, not repetitive miles driven at 30 mph. Of course, if I drive only in the city I get closer to the stated full mileage as represented by the manufacturer. This is a given, but real use seldom equates to the best case use with no activated accessories manufacturers claim. I find highway miles with moderate accessory use yields approximately 2/3 the manufacturers stated distance in the real world. This of course would worsen in winter with the heating on.

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2024 at 09:58 PM

The question is, how do they convince everyone to give up their F-150 trucks and actually buy those hi mpg vehicles to pick up their groceries? The manufacturers will be forced to make them, but will anyone actually buy them? You HAVE TO have an F-150 to pack all those cheap groceries from Costco it seems.

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2024 at 10:29 PM

goat,

Come on down! It still in the low 60s and high 50s at night here! Need to run the heat pump in the BR at night. It gets all the way up to the high 60s during the day. That Green is the 17C water that makes it cold all along the West coast. The further North the colder the water gets.

I’m not saying it’s not hotter in Los Cabos. I’m just saying it’s cloudy and cold here!

IMG_5288.jpeg - 120kB
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2024 at 01:46 PM

goat,

Come on down! It still in the low 60s and high 50s at night here! Need to run the heat pump in the BR at night. It gets all the way up to the high 60s during the day.

Not according to the current temperatures listed online.
Says Todos Santos is 64+ at night and 74+ during the day.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2024 at 01:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
goat,

Come on down! It still in the low 60s and high 50s at night here! Need to run the heat pump in the BR at night. It gets all the way up to the high 60s during the day.

Not according to the current temperatures listed online.
Says Todos Santos is 64+ at night and 74+ during the day.

Low will be 56 here tonight.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-9-2024 at 07:10 AM

goat,

Come on down! It still in the low 60s and high 50s at night here! Need to run the heat pump in the BR at night. It gets all the way up to the high 60s during the day. That Green is the 17C water that makes it cold all along the West coast. The further North the colder the water gets.

Here us the problem, those "green" and "blue" areas of coastal waters are moving northward at a rapidly increasing rate. Enjoy your current weather now, because it is going to become much warmer in your area in the next several years according to the scientists who study and measure these things. We should selfishly enjoy it because we are currently leaving a legacy where our grandchildren won't be able to enjoy it.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2024 at 07:39 AM

goat,

I’m not saying it’s not hotter in Los Cabos. I’m just saying it’s cloudy and cold here!

We spent the winter just north of you and had the heat pump running steady as well. Locals who had lived there for decades could not remember as cold a winter overall. Maybe its the transition from El Nino to Nina doing this? La Paz over on the Sea of Cortez was a whole different story and still showing much higher temps. We had a high of 25 the same day theirs was 36 just before we left in April and that was not unusual for the entire 4 months we were there

[Edited on 6-9-2024 by JDCanuck]

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2024 at 07:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by oxxo  
goat,

Here us the problem, those "green" and "blue" areas of coastal waters are moving northward at a rapidly increasing rate. Enjoy your current weather now, because it is going to become much warmer in your area in the next several years according to the scientists who study and measure these things. We should selfishly enjoy it because we are currently leaving a legacy where our grandchildren won't be able to enjoy it.

How much warmer are you forecasting?
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2024 at 09:18 AM
The Forcast is for cloudy with a chance of meatballs!

This year June 9

IMG_5288.jpeg - 120kB

Last year June2

IMG_4269.jpeg - 95kB

Since a 10 day forcast is usually iffy a multiyear forcast is even more iffy. Locals who have lived here decades say this weather is average.
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-9-2024 at 09:51 AM

This year June 9

Last year June2;

Notice that the "red" and "yellow" spots are getting bigger?

Quote:
Locals who have lived here decades say this weather is average.

So I am supposed to believe your "locals" as opposed to educated and experienced climate scientists who actually study and measure these things as a profession?

[Edited on 6-9-2024 by oxxo]
surfhat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2024 at 10:20 AM

More likely is the chance for some meatheads to offer their opinions. haha

Since 'meatheads' was brought up, I could not resist the meatheads out there being called out for their never ending denials of mankind's direct effect on Mother Earth's ability to sustain life.

Oxxo, you are the breath of fresh air on this forum that we have needed. Please do not give up on us, even if some can't help themselves from being contrarians.

[Edited on 6-9-2024 by surfhat]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2024 at 10:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
More likely is the chance for some meatheads to offer their opinions. haha

Since 'meatheads' was brought up, I could not resist the meatheads out there being called out for their never ending denials of mankind's direct effect on Mother Earth's ability to sustain life.

Oxxo, you are the breath of fresh air on this forum that we have needed. Please do not give up on us, even if some can't help themselves from being contrarians.

[Edited on 6-9-2024 by surfhat]

x2

Maybe not fresh air but def exhilarating!

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
 Pages:  1  ..  113    115    117  118

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.