Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  115    117  
Author: Subject: The palm tree is going two feet under water
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2024 at 10:03 PM

Yep, JZ, everything you don't agree with is a big conspiracy and 97% of the world's scientists are corrupt. :lol:
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-11-2024 at 07:02 PM
Are we worrying about the wrong gas?

Nitrous Oxide (N2O) output is increasing more rapidly than CO2 and is a more threatening green house gas. I read this today.

www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/study-finds-human-cause...

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 11:28 AM

OXXO,

That would be the same majority of experts who said that another ice age was coming back in the ‘60s?

Please note, l’m not saying it’s not getting warmer and human actions aren’t responsible for a part of it. I’m saying that the proposed solutions won’t solve the problem.
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 11:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
OXXO,

That would be the same majority of experts who said that another ice age was coming back in the ‘60s?

Your premise is taken out of context. I also believe that an Ice Age is coming back, but it may be 1 million years from now (and I'm not an Environmental scientist),,,,after we go through this man made period of global warming. And I should take your word for it that a MAJORITY of experts (does not mean they were environmental scientists) felt that way AND global warming was not perceived in the '60's as the threat it is today. Are you an Environmental Scientist or somebody with an opinion?
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 11:14 AM
Weather Service issues Snow Warning for “Summer” Snow Storm 10”-15” possible

The cold air intrusion and jet stream energy across the northwestern U.S. will also bring a round of late-season wet snow across the high-elevations of the northern Rockies through the next couple of days where Winter Storm Warning and Winter Weather Advisories are in effect. In addition, this energetic system will also bring quite a bit of wind across the Great Basin and the northern Rockies today, reaching into the central Rockies
and northern Plains by Tuesday morning behind a sharp cold front.
oxxo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 01:32 PM

The cold air intrusion and jet stream energy across the northwestern U.S. will also bring a round of late-season wet snow across the high-elevations of the northern Rockies through the next couple of days where Winter Storm Warning and Winter Weather Advisories are in effect. In addition, this energetic system will also bring quite a bit of wind across the Great Basin and the northern Rockies today, reaching into the central Rockies
and northern Plains by Tuesday morning behind a sharp cold front.

This is the classic example of "climate change" - dramatic variations in climate. Wait for a month after this climatic disturbance passes through and those same areas will be experiencing high heat records. And then there will be mass flooding with homes and lives destroyed and the climate change beat goes on!

And @RFClark, there is an out-of-control grassland fire 60 miles north of Los Angeles right now and Hwy 5 is closed to through traffic. Internal winds are reported at 55 mph and the fire is spreading rapidly into inhabited areas and burning homes by wind borne fire debris.. No Forests up there in that area.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 03:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by oxxo  

This is the classic example of "climate change" - dramatic variations in climate.

That reminds me of what a NOAA climate scientist said years ago during an interview when she was asked to describe the effects of global warming. I'll paraphrase.

She said temperature is a measure of the energy in the atmosphere, and more energy will produce more extreme weather.

Dry will be drier.
Wet will be wetter.
Floods will be deeper.
Hot will be hotter.
Cold will be colder.
Storms will be stormier.
etc.

I'll add:

More damaging, unhealthy, crop-destroying, migration-causing extreme weather............IMHO.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 03:43 PM

And as an example of exactly that:

https://www.rawstory.com/once-fruitful-libyan-village-suffer...

Unfortunately, too many people pay no attention to what is happening worldwide due to climate change and can't see nor care further than whether a palm tree in some area where they hang out is going under water.
oxxo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 04:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

That reminds me of what a NOAA climate scientist said years ago during an interview when she was asked to describe the effects of global warming. I'll paraphrase.

She said temperature is a measure of the energy in the atmosphere, and more energy will produce more extreme weather.

Dry will be drier.
Wet will be wetter.
Floods will be deeper.
Hot will be hotter.
Cold will be colder.
Storms will be stormier.
etc.

And that is the determination of over 99% of climate scientists today.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 05:38 PM
The Climate has always changed, Man has influenced it for 16,000 Years

The issue is what is “reported” supports a single view point primarily. The problem is not change or who’s responsible but how to fix it. What you propose won’t work!

The Fire looks like brush not grass to me!

IMG_5318.jpeg - 188kB

This doesn’t look like it’s been “Lush” in a few thousand years, but post whatever you want!

IMG_5316.jpeg - 123kB

Please note most of the sea level rise occurred more than 2000 years ago.

IMG_5314.jpeg - 66kB

[Edited on 6-18-2024 by RFClark]

[Edited on 6-18-2024 by RFClark]
oxxo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 05:58 PM

The Fire looks like brush not grass to me!

PLEASE @RFClark, grassland fire and brush fire are considered one in the same as opposed to a forest fire.

If you want to argue about semantics, please forgive me, if you want to dot the "i's"and cross all "t's", I should have been more explicit, and said it is a grassland/scrub brush fire. My bad. Regardless, it is in direct contradiction to your assertion that the Malibu fire was a "Forest fire" which is incorrect. It was a grassland/scrub brush fire.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 06:21 PM

We may want to rethink our premise that Transportation or food production and the CO2 they produce are the major contributor to Man's part in global warming. The most rapid increases in dirty power demand are AI and Crypto mining, not transportation or food. Those energy demands are far outstripping any other sector of our lives. How can we possibly increase renewable power sources at the rate these two demands are growing?
Who are the major benefactors of AI and Crypto? Who are those same people laying the blame on?

[Edited on 6-18-2024 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 06:21 PM

No, actually they are not. Feel free to read the government report I posted!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 06:50 PM

This doesn’t look like it’s been “Lush” in a few thousand years, but post whatever you want!

You post some photo, untitled, undated, with no link, that doesn't show a photo of any village. And this is supposed to negate people who live there saying it was lush until this new millenium.

Lush is relative- Libya is one of the driest places on the planet and 90% of it is Saharan plateau. Nowhere in Libya is going to be lush like a tropical rain forest, except maybe some resort enclave where everything gets watered every day.

Your yard in Baja would probably be considered lush by a Libyan villager.

In fact, there is a photo of the village that appeared when I googled "Kabaw, Libya" but there is no way I can figure out to download or copy it. The village looks quite green- an oasis in the desert. Obviously taken before they went into drought mode. And not a few thousand years ago.

[Edited on 6-18-2024 by surabi]
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 08:38 PM

We have had massive brush/grassland and forest fires for as long as there has been vegetation on the earth. As long as we have had thunderstorms on the earth.
There is more "green" overall on the earth's surface today than there was 50 years ago due to the higher CO2.
Again I'm not arguing that there is not climate change only that the cause is a natural phenomenon and MAN IS A NATURAL EVOLUTIONARY PROCESS OF THE EARTH. And despite all the hysterics the earth has shown a great propensity to "cleanse itself" of detrimental phenomenon since the dinosaurs.
Another example to look at is how the earth survived the big meteor crash that changed the entire world's climate and killed off the dinosaurs. The earth heals itself despite our efforts to curtail its direction.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 09:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
We have had massive brush/grassland and forest fires for as long as there has been vegetation on the earth. As long as we have had thunderstorms on the earth.
There is more "green" overall on the earth's surface today than there was 50 years ago due to the higher CO2.
Again I'm not arguing that there is not climate change only that the cause is a natural phenomenon and MAN IS A NATURAL EVOLUTIONARY PROCESS OF THE EARTH. And despite all the hysterics the earth has shown a great propensity to "cleanse itself" of detrimental phenomenon since the dinosaurs.
Another example to look at is how the earth survived the big meteor crash that changed the entire world's climate and killed off the dinosaurs. The earth heals itself despite our efforts to curtail its direction.

Cliffy, stop. This is not the arena for any dissent.... no matter how thoughtful.
oxxo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 10:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
And despite all the hysterics the earth has shown a great propensity to "cleanse itself" of detrimental phenomenon since the dinosaurs.

Like for instance humanoids!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 10:14 PM

Cliffy repeats his elementary school science lesson almost verbatim, like a broken record every time he posts on this thread, as if we all somehow missed grade 5 science class.
That the concern is that climate change is now so rapidly escalating and so extreme that the planet is fast becoming unliveable to all living things, necer seems to penetrate his brain, no matter how many times it is explained to him. He likes to talk about dinosaurs.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 10:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Cliffy repeats his elementary school science lesson almost verbatim, like a broken record every time he posts on this thread, as if we all somehow missed grade 5 science class.
That the concern is that climate change is now so rapidly escalating and so extreme that the planet is fast becoming unliveable to all living things, necer seems to penetrate his brain, no matter how many times it is explained to him. He likes to talk about dinosaurs.

Planet is NOT becoming unlivable. Please stop the bs
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 11:11 PM

I'm sure your air conditioned home and car are quite comfortable.
 Pages:  1  ..  115    117  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.