Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  117    119  
Author: Subject: The palm tree is going two feet under water
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-13-2024 at 01:35 PM

Except Musk is nothing like John Kerry and isn't jetting around to spread a message on climate change- he is jetting around to his various businesses, on private vacations, and taking ridiculously short flights (like 9 minutes), when if he actually cared about climate change he would drive one of his EVs on a 10 mile trip, wouldn't he?

And you are suggesting that reductions in carbon footprints be counted twice? A twofer? The Tesla purchaser gets to claim that lowered carbon emission footprint and then that same exact reduction is also credited to the manufacturer?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-13-2024 at 02:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Except Musk is nothing like John Kerry and isn't jetting around to spread a message on climate change- he is jetting around to his various businesses, on private vacations, and taking ridiculously short flights (like 9 minutes), when if he actually cared about climate change he would drive one of his EVs on a 10 mile trip, wouldn't he?

And you are suggesting that reductions in carbon footprints be counted twice? A twofer? The Tesla purchaser gets to claim that lowered carbon emission footprint and then that same exact reduction is also credited to the manufacturer?

You people complaining about the very few people that travel by private jet cannot see the forest for the trees.
The average american is a carbon glutton. Convince (or force) the average american to stop driving bloated cars and trucks and you can cut carbon use dramatically. Much of the gluttonous and excessive energy use by americans can be cut by passing creative laws to socially engineer americans into lower energy consumption. :light:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-13-2024 at 02:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

The average american is a carbon glutton. Convince (or force) the average american to stop driving bloated cars and trucks and you can cut carbon use dramatically. Much of the gluttonous and excessive energy use by americans can be cut by passing creative laws to socially engineer americans into lower energy consumption. :light:

I don't disagree with any of that.

But that doesn't negate the fact that "Private jets emit at least 10 times more pollutants than commercial planes per passenger," the report notes. "Unsurprisingly, approximately 1% of people are believed to be responsible for about half of all aviation carbon emissions."

So those "few" people who travel by private jet who you seem to want to absolve of responsibility have a disproportionately huge impact on environmental pollution.

ORphil
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2024 at 12:11 AM

Tio, was it communism that created rationing of important resources in the US of A during ww2? Or a concerted effort by the government and the public for a common goal?
What about the WPA and the CCC? We wouldn't have cheap hydro power on the west coast otherwise. Or certain famous bridges and such.

Imagine if we asked the average American today to only burn so many gallons of petroleum for the common good. Maybe one doesn't need to drive a lifted diesel at 12 mpg to work sanding fiberglass for 4 tens for giant rvs that no one needs.

C'mon man

Plus a zillion other things they built, campgrounds, trails, parks, power right of ways, highways, fire fighting, libraries, hospitals, schools, on and on.
Sounds good to me.

[Edited on 7-14-2024 by ORphil]

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2024 at 03:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ORphil  
Tio, was it communism that created rationing of important resources in the US of A during ww2? Or a concerted effort by the government and the public for a common goal?
What about the WPA and the CCC? We wouldn't have cheap hydro power on the west coast otherwise. Or certain famous bridges and such.

Imagine if we asked the average American today to only burn so many gallons of petroleum for the common good. Maybe one doesn't need to drive a lifted diesel at 12 mpg to work sanding fiberglass for 4 tens for giant rvs that no one needs.

C'mon man

Plus a zillion other things they built, campgrounds, trails, parks, power right of ways, highways, fire fighting, libraries, hospitals, schools, on and on.
Sounds good to me.

Sounds good to me too.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2024 at 06:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Quote: Originally posted by ORphil  

C'mon man

Sounds good to me.

Sounds good to me too.

Wait, you two are embracing communism because the USA rationed things during WW2 (The war that was a fight for our lives)

False equivalency.

As for the old palm tree. During the time this thread has been active, has the water level increased yet?

[Edited on 7-14-2024 by Tioloco]

[Edited on 7-14-2024 by Tioloco]
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2024 at 07:31 AM

John Kerry and his family's Private Jet charter company had no influence on whether I bought an EV. Elon Musk on the other hand had a huge influence. Elon Musk isn't pushing me to give up meat and milk to reduce my carbon footprint as other influencers are and in the meantime creating more and more demand for energy to drastically expand their profits, he's continuously developing real carbon reducing solutions. I don't see any real comparison here to someone who flies around the world pushing drastic reductions in lifestyles on the common man and someone who is actually developing solutions we can all easily embrace.

[Edited on 7-14-2024 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2024 at 07:47 AM

Its pretty easy to get the data on which corporations have in the past 15-20 years actually reduced their carbon footprint and which have drastically increased theirs. It's a pretty eye-opening set of data and goes directly against whats being pushed on us to pay trillions of dollars for as taxpayers without any noticeable improvement.

I see no practical benefit to sending another 2 billion to the three biggest past opponents to EV adoption simply because they are unionized as opposed to the many competing EV startups that are and have been fully committed to EV adoption and then call it support of EV manufacturing in the US, do you?

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-14-2024 at 11:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
John Kerry and his family's Private Jet charter company had no influence on whether I bought an EV. Elon Musk on the other hand had a huge influence. Elon Musk isn't pushing me to give up meat and milk to reduce my carbon footprint as other influencers are and in the meantime creating more and more demand for energy to drastically expand their profits, he's continuously developing real carbon reducing solutions. I don't see any real comparison here to someone who flies around the world pushing drastic reductions in lifestyles on the common man and someone who is actually developing solutions we can all easily embrace.

Elon Musk isn't developing solutions because he cares about the environment, his motive is enriching himself.
If he cared about solutions, he wouldn't gave fathered 11 children so far.

I am much more inclined to accept the carbon footprint of those who have to fly to events which are designed to promote solutions to climate change in general, although if they don't want to be seen as hypocrites, they should at least be flying commercial, not in private jets.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 7-14-2024 at 11:51 AM

S,

You are so much more inclined to support and carry water for those who endorse your beliefs no matter what else they do. For you it’s about US politics even if you claim to be Canadian!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-14-2024 at 12:18 PM

Politics has nothing to do with climate change or my views on how to mitigate it and what we as individuals can do. As I said, Kerry and others who are involved in climate change action should be flying commercial if they profess to care about carbon emissions. So should Musk. But Musk cares so little, he takes a 9 minute private jet flight instead of driving one of his own EVs. I call that out because it's entitled and uncaring, not because of his politics.

Don't gaslight.

[Edited on 7-14-2024 by surabi]
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2024 at 12:31 PM

S,

Absolutely, politics should have nothing to do with Climate policy. That said it has everything to do with it in the US. You never fail to delve into US politics when commenting even though people with the views you dis and who comment here are as “Green” or even Greener than yourself.

I include myself in that group as without having any idea what my politics are you include me in a particular group. That said I’m as Green or Greener than you because as you state “It shouldn't be about politics”!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2024 at 12:37 PM

So true...individuals will always do what they can do. What they get upset about is politicians who claim to be taking their money and using it to reduce their footprint but are in reality taking it to buy votes from their supporters. Let us keep our money and find our own way to reduce our footprint in the most efficient manner we know of.

In my case it was solar panels and eventually an EV. But I guarantee John Kerry or any present or prior President or Prime Minister had zero contribution on how i managed it. Rather they did their best to have me contribute my funds for their own discretion.

surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-14-2024 at 01:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
You never fail to delve into US politics when commenting even though people with the views you dis and who comment here are as “Green” or even Greener than you.

That first part is patently untrue.
And while I know that you are quite "Green" in the way you live, the people whose views I dis are those who insist that nothing we as individuals do can have any positive impact, and who champion and defend their eschewing of trying to live more sustainably, and actually brag about having no intention to ever change anything about their lifestyles to lessen their footprint.

Why you would want to align yourself with those people, when you are actually living more sustainably, is baffling. Maybe it's political???
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2024 at 02:32 PM

S,

Posting “climate” information from a political opinion article is, well, Political!

Why align? Because what you indorse won’t solve the or even address the problem we face! It isn’t even Science it’s simple math.

Then there is the poor quality of the data used for the predictions of the Apocalypse!

Greetings from the “empty quarter” today’s forecast 103 currently 78 and raining like hell!

IMG_3758.jpeg - 98kB
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-14-2024 at 05:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
S,

Posting “climate” information from a political opinion article is, well, Political!

Why align? Because what you indorse won’t solve the or even address the problem we face! It isn’t even Science it’s simple math.

Example please of me posting climate information from a political opinion article.
And "information" is a matter of fact. Just because a site leans right or left does not mean the information that is posted there isn't fact. Opinions on what to do about it are just that- -opinions.

And where did I ever say that what you think I "endorse" is going to "solve" the climate change problems? Or do you think everyone should just do nothing on an individual basis to lessen their carbin footprint just because it won't "solve" the problem on a global scale? Do you think Cliffy's constant refrain of "The climate has always been changing" adds anything of value to a discussion on man-made climate change and possible solutions?

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2024 at 05:24 PM

I think Cliffy's statement may actually be one of the most helpful. If everything we do and throw public funds at can't change the facts of climate changing, maybe we should spend more time and energy coming up with adaptive solutions rather than just trying to reverse it.

Designing passive cooling as was common in the past in housing might be a good start, rather than remaining dependent on heat producing AC units whether they are run by fossil fuel generated power or renewable power.

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2024 at 05:40 PM

I think Cliffy's statement may actually be one of the most helpful. If everything we do and throw public funds at can't change the facts of climate changing, maybe we should spend more time and energy coming up with adaptive solutions rather than just trying to reverse it.

Designing passive cooling as was common in the past in housing might be a good start, rather than remaining dependent on heat producing AC units whether they are run by fossil fuel generated power or renewable power.

You are spot on JD. There are a lot of things that are manmade and "green" that are heat producing. Just the way it is.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2024 at 06:27 PM

I wouldn't call AC units green, but they are increasingly necessary to save unnecessary deaths as we learned up here just 2 years ago.

For some, the best solution might be double pane windows, for some more insulation, or opening windows at one side of their great room at the top and others at the shaded side at the lower side. For that farmer in Pakistan that just managed to scrape together the cash to buy his first tractor, do we really want to force him to pay 50% more for his fuel to support his family? I'm just saying the best solution for me may not be the best solution for someone in Lapland, Pakistan or Mexico.

[Edited on 7-15-2024 by JDCanuck]

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2024 at 08:35 PM

I wouldn't call AC units green, but they are increasingly necessary to save unnecessary deaths as we learned up here just 2 years ago.

For some, the best solution might be double pane windows, for some more insulation, or opening windows at one side of their great room at the top and others at the shaded side at the lower side. For that farmer in Pakistan that just managed to scrape together the cash to buy his first tractor, do we really want to force him to pay 50% more for his fuel to support his family? I'm just saying the best solution for me may not be the best solution for someone in Lapland, Pakistan or Mexico.

[Edited on 7-15-2024 by JDCanuck]

Good points. Another consideration is a lot of people are just not as healthy or tough as they were in previous generations. AC units are a relatively new invention for comfort. Yet another societal problem, eh?
 Pages:  1  ..  117    119  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.