Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  120    122
Author: Subject: The palm tree is going two feet under water
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2024 at 01:41 PM

Still missing the point. This isn't a thread about large scale agriculture, just because RFC posted a photo of an agricultural operation under solar panels. It's about environmental effects of solar farms. Cliffy falsely stated that they "kill the earth" under them, which they do not.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2024 at 03:38 PM

"Cliffy falsely stated that they "kill the earth" under them, which they do not."
Pray tell just what happens when a new solar field is developed and they go in and denude the entire project area of ALL vegetation and living beings?
No one yet has answered the questions of cradle to grave costs on wind and solar.
No one yet has answered the question of how we get rid of dino juice power plants and still power the grid when the sun don't shine or the wind don't blow or we have fluctuating power grid demands.
How about hydro power? Why not build more dams and generate clean power? OH I forgot -THAT is an environmental disaster under the water but scraping the ground clean under solar panels is not> HMMMM

Without dino juice power the grid fails Period! And dont go to the "we'll have better batteries to handle it" route. That ain't going to happen on an national scale in anyone's life time (not to mention the environmental disaster just making the batteries would involve).

Putting up a few panels on your roof to power what is in reality a campsite doesn't come close in scale to powering the entire grid with "renewables". No problem for you to do for your microcosm but at scale for the entire grid it ain't gonna work anytime soon.

To preach that the sky is falling unless we go green is just fear mongering.

Without government subsidy the price of wind and solar energy would go way up and be non-competitive to dino juice power, Without the subsidies you wouldn't even have a solar or wind industry.

You say dino juice has subsidies also? OK I'm all for dropping ALL government subsidies across the board and letting the market determine the winners and not a government mandated program.

You say I'm against EVs- NOT SO by any means. Just the mandating of the technology and not the vehicle itself.
Just remember the horsepower has to come from somewhere

Also, let EVs compete without government subsidies.
Hybrid cars may be the best solution and not straight EVs.

As many do they just sit a pontificate about this all the while not addressing the problems ahead if it goes that way

Attached below is a link showing just what happens when emotion gets in the way of sound engineering-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BD_wkP91P0&list=TLPQMDM...

[Edited on 10-3-2024 by Cliffy]

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
cupcake
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2024 at 03:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  

Solar fields are "environmentally" friendly?
Do we realize that UNDER every solar field EVERY living thing is cut clean off the ground (every plant and animal removed from the earth under the panels) before the first panel is brought in.

Solar project to destroy thousands of Joshua trees in the Mojave Desert
https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2024-05-31/solar-p...

If only there was a way to tranfer the electricity, there could be emense solar panels orbiting the earth. Perhaps Elon Musk will devise such a technology.

[Edited on 10-3-2024 by cupcake]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2024 at 03:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by cupcake  

Do we realize that UNDER every solar field EVERY living thing is cut clean off the ground (every plant and animal removed from the earth under the panels) before the first panel is brought in.

That's unfortunate. From the article:

"The person with knowledge of the project said the company’s plan now included destroying 3,500 Joshua trees."

I wonder how many Joshua trees are in the area. Is 3,500 1%, 10%, 50%, what? That's the way to look at it.

[Edited on 10-3-2024 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
cupcake
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2024 at 04:33 PM

I don't know the answer to that question. This one site is 2,300 acres. This will be the ninth site this company has built in Kern County.

"When asked why the company decided to put the project on land next to the two towns, Sundquist said that executives wanted to keep the solar field in Kern County rather than farther south in San Bernardino. “We like doing business here,” he said.

In 2019, San Bernardino County Supervisors voted to ban the construction of large solar and wind farms on more than 1 million acres of private land."

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-3-2024 at 04:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

That's unfortunate. From the article:

"The person with knowledge of the project said the company’s plan now included destroying 3,500 Joshua trees."

I wonder how many Joshua trees are in the area. Is 3,500 1%, 10%, 50%, what? That's the way to look at it.
[Edited on 10-3-2024 by SFandH]

Do we really need to protect the joshua tree? I mean, it is pretty ugly. Doesn't provide much shade. What use is it? :lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-3-2024 at 04:55 PM

I don't know the answer to that question. This one site is 2,300 acres. This will be the ninth site this company has built in Kern County.

"When asked why the company decided to put the project on land next to the two towns, Sundquist said that executives wanted to keep the solar field in Kern County rather than farther south in San Bernardino. “We like doing business here,” he said.

In 2019, San Bernardino County Supervisors voted to ban the construction of large solar and wind farms on more than 1 million acres of private land."

They choose land based on:
Productivity
Land price
Cost/ease of tieing into the grid
Permitability

I applaud local communities doing land planning to save their community in the face of destruction by developers. What would you rather live next to? Undeveloped desert, farm land, ta ta bar, meth lab, homeless shelter, or industrial utility-scale solar plant?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

cupcake
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2024 at 04:59 PM

Joshua Tree
https://www.nwf.org/Educational-Resources/Wildlife-Guide/Pla...

"This type of interaction, where two organisms are dependent upon each other for mutual benefits, is called a mutualistic symbiotic relationship. A number of other animals are also served by Joshua trees. For example, 25 bird species nest in Joshua trees. Lizards and invertebrates use various parts of the tree for cover, and a number of mammals rely on Joshua trees for food."

[Edited on 10-4-2024 by cupcake]
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 10-3-2024 at 11:13 PM

Tioloco,

Living off the grid is “camping” and you can’t use mechanized farm equipment under solar panels is right up there with Gila Bend (and Phoenix) was a nice place before the “round eyes” moved there and screwed up the weather!

Phoenix was a hell hole during the Korean war. I was there. People grew their lawns under water it was so hot!

Is your “experience” in agriculture growing what you smoke?
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-4-2024 at 01:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Tioloco,

Living off the grid is “camping” and you can’t use mechanized farm equipment under solar panels is right up there with Gila Bend (and Phoenix) was a nice place before the “round eyes” moved there and screwed up the weather!

Phoenix was a hell hole during the Korean war. I was there. People grew their lawns under water it was so hot!

Is your “experience” in agriculture growing what you smoke?

Ok, go to Salinas and tell me how your solar panels in the field will work out. Clue- it WONT. And for clarity, I have never "smoked" anything.

As for "camping", like I have previously stated- Solar works for situations like my off-grid house in Mexico but it is NOT as convenient as being on grid nor will it ever be.

Phoenix is hot in the summer. Is getting hotter because of the urban sprawl with concrete- not because of "Climate Change" per se. Living in the desert in summer is easier and more comfortable than living in the forest with snow in the winter but that is just a personal opinion.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-4-2024 at 01:57 AM

"Cliffy falsely stated that they "kill the earth" under them, which they do not."
Pray tell just what happens when a new solar field is developed and they go in and denude the entire project area of ALL vegetation and living beings?
No one yet has answered the questions of cradle to grave costs on wind and solar.
No one yet has answered the question of how we get rid of dino juice power plants and still power the grid when the sun don't shine or the wind don't blow or we have fluctuating power grid demands.
How about hydro power? Why not build more dams and generate clean power? OH I forgot -THAT is an environmental disaster under the water but scraping the ground clean under solar panels is not> HMMMM

Without dino juice power the grid fails Period! And dont go to the "we'll have better batteries to handle it" route. That ain't going to happen on an national scale in anyone's life time (not to mention the environmental disaster just making the batteries would involve).

Putting up a few panels on your roof to power what is in reality a campsite doesn't come close in scale to powering the entire grid with "renewables". No problem for you to do for your microcosm but at scale for the entire grid it ain't gonna work anytime soon.

To preach that the sky is falling unless we go green is just fear mongering.

Without government subsidy the price of wind and solar energy would go way up and be non-competitive to dino juice power, Without the subsidies you wouldn't even have a solar or wind industry.

You say dino juice has subsidies also? OK I'm all for dropping ALL government subsidies across the board and letting the market determine the winners and not a government mandated program.

You say I'm against EVs- NOT SO by any means. Just the mandating of the technology and not the vehicle itself.
Just remember the horsepower has to come from somewhere

Also, let EVs compete without government subsidies.
Hybrid cars may be the best solution and not straight EVs.

As many do they just sit a pontificate about this all the while not addressing the problems ahead if it goes that way

Attached below is a link showing just what happens when emotion gets in the way of sound engineering-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BD_wkP91P0&list=TLPQMDM...

[Edited on 10-3-2024 by Cliffy]

Cliffy, you are on point as usual. Will just leave this in your hands and let the usual players here scramble.
Salsa
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2024 at 12:12 PM

Mu take on all of this is

Concrete Jungles Cause the Earth to Heat UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-4-2024 at 12:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Salsa  
Mu take on all of this is

Concrete Jungles Cause the Earth to Heat UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don

You are correct!
 Pages:  1  ..  120    122

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.