Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  12    14    16  ..  19
Author: Subject: A Double Shakedown in Constitución
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 03:57 PM

I have sent the following letter to Patty Briceno at Misiones RV Park

Hi Patty, you may not remember me but my wife and I had the great pleasure of staying with you on our last trip down the Baja. You and I shared some wonderful time together listening to music and you shared some great Female Mexican singers with me, many that I had never heard. My wife photographed many species of birds that live in your wonderful park. We look forward to eating with you again. We loved staying with you and looked forward to staying with you again this winter when we again had planned to drive down the Baja.

Unfortunately I have some bad news to share with you. I am a member of Baja Nomads, a great group of people who share a love of Baja. There are many on this site who make extraordinary contributions to Baja and it's people. They don't just spend money, though they do indeed do that, they also contribute their time and energy to the people of Baja and did so during the horrible hurricane that did so much damage in Ciudad Constitution. The Baja Nomad site was a critical link for people during that crisis and many before. Nomads will be there for the next disaster also, as well as for enjoying all that Baja has to offer.

There has been many very bad experiences being reported about the criminal behavior of police in Ciudad Constitution who have been extorting money from US Citizens who travel through your fine town. I am providing you with a link to this site and thread so you can see for yourself what is happening. This mordida is driving away good people who would stop in your town and is costing your town thousands of pesos per day. I would estimate that I would spend between $100 - $350 if I were to spend two nights in your RV Park, eat out in town, hire a guide to take me fishing/whale watching and fill my vehicle with gas.

Using this conversion site
http://www.xe.com/ucc/
100.00 USD = 1,288.74 MXN
350.00 USD = 4,510.56 MXN

So conservatively speaking my two night stay in Ciudad Constitution would net business in your town between 1,288.74 - 4,510.56 pesos. That is serious money to lose to small time thugs who is hitting me up for 20% of what I might spend there.

Ciudad Constitution sits on the ONLY Federal highway the connects Baja Norte and Baja Sur. Any US Citizen who wishes to travel south of CC has no choice but to drive thru the gauntlet of criminal police in your city and many are choosing not to do so.

Nomads are your friends and friends of Baja and need what ever support you and other good people in your community can do to stop these acts of police extortion. I hope you can help us to deal with this issue so we can all again feel comfortable visiting and spending time in Ciudad Constitution.

Any suggestions or recommendations that you might have for us about how to deal with this very serious problem would also be greatly appreciated. There have been over 250 postings on this thread and it has been read over 10,000 times and still counting. There is now a second thread that has been started regarding Police Extortion in Ciudad Constitution. I will provide you with a link to the first thread and you can easily navigate the site to find the other thread.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=46302

Iflyfish
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 04:07 PM

I just received this email from ACS, Tijuana

Dear Sir,

Thank you for informing the consulate about these incidents occurring in Ciudad Constitution. We would be able to reach out to the local government, but would require more information. Would you be able to supply data on specific incidents that have occurred in the last week, especially the date, time, and location?

American Citizen Services

US Consulate General Tijuana

ACSTijuana@state.gov

SBU

This email is UNCLASSIFIED.

Please send your accounts of recent cases of police extortion in Ciudad Constitution to

ACS, Tijuana

ACSTijuana@state.gov

Please also U2U a copy of your email to me at my U2U box.

Thank you, we are being heard now and it is time to ACT.

Iflyfish
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2010 at 01:53 PM

Skeeter? :dudette:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2010 at 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
Skeeter? :dudette:

Do you really want to wake that sleeping giant?
kaybaj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2010 at 04:29 PM

i hear he gits a 10% cut:lol:
kaybaj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2010 at 06:43 PM

:P
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2010 at 04:02 PM

bump for Skeets party!!
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2010 at 04:49 PM

Hey! Would it noit be great to have a Grand Nomad party in Constitution!~!
We could all bring Jackest, I would get the Doctors from the Hospitaqls together, my good masonic Brothers would help out and just think the Kids would benefit!!

Please think about it.!

Skeet
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2010 at 08:28 PM

I'm all in, put me in coach, as soon as the Extortion of US Citizens by the Police of Ciudad Constitution ceases. I would LOVE to do that!! Just that! Great idea. For once we are on the same page.

Let me know when the Extortion stops and I will be most happy to bring Jackets and other stuff of use to the good people of CC. I am certain that others would be similarly inclined. Let us know when you can assure us that no US Citizens will again be extorted in Ciudad Constitution.

If you are stopped by police in Ciudad Constitution and threatened with a ticket for something you did not do then please report the details to:

American Citizen Services

US Consulate General Tijuana

ACSTijuana@state.gov

If you are stopped by a policeman in CC and they try to extort money from you , this approach that has been used successfully to stop this crime.

Come to a complete stop at ALL intersections, look both ways to make sure no pedestrians in cross walks. Follow the 18 mph speed limit. If stopped do the following:
1. stay calm, take your time
2. ask for name and badge number, write these down, do not surrender your drivers license
3. let cop know you are calling Sr. Villalejos, Sub-director de Policia, at 613-100-1910
4. insist that you go to the station NOW and deal with the fine
5. Since the police office is reportedly closed on Sunday, travel thru Ciudad Constitution on M-Sat.
6. remain calm, confident and clear. Follow thru.
7. Drive in the right hand lane and look local, don't make eye contact with a cop.
8. Let every one you know that there is a serious problem with police extortion on the ONLY highway that connects Baja N with Baja S and that each day the city of Ciudad Constitution loses thousands of dollars in lost revenue because of this.

If Skeet is able to guarantee the safety of his Nomad Amigos and that this extortion will stop, then I hope we all will honor him and the People of Ciudad Constitution by bringing them a ton of jackets.

Iflyfish
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2010 at 01:05 PM

It was reported in local papers, there will be a march today in CdC to at 6pm on Olachea street to denounce recent cases of abuse by the Police.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2010 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
It was reported in local papers, there will be a march today in CdC to at 6pm on Olachea street to denounce recent cases of abuse by the Police.

So...that leads me to believe the cops weren't singling out gringo tourists. Everybody is being extorted.
Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 7-16-2010 at 01:18 PM

Either that Dennis or the local merchants are missing the tourist dollars
Either way....its a good thing IMO

sold out and got out !!!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2010 at 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Timo1
Either that Dennis or the local merchants are missing the tourist dollars
Either way....its a good thing IMO

I would much rather you were right, Tim. That would mean, I believe, all of our efforts here have had an effect.
Perhaps we'll get some feedback.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2010 at 03:39 PM

Hey Fish; I hear some rumors that all of your efforts have been taken under consideration.

I hope it turns out to be True. Good Work. Let me know how much it costs on the next rip and How many Jackets you took for the Kids to the General Hospital??

Thanks for your Efforts.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2010 at 06:29 AM

Skeet, I will indeed. I am a man of my word. If this stops I propose that you and I head up a Nomad Jacket Drive. I would love to do that with you IF the police extortion stops. I hope you will contact your friends there and ask them to support these efforts of the local people. It will be good if they know we know of their efforts and support them.

IF it stops then I would propose that we all get Baja Nomads, or Got Baja bumper stickers to display on the front of our vehicles to let the locals know who we are and bring as many jackets as we can get. I know Goodwill and Salvation Army here have a TON of them.

I will be as diligent aobut this as I have about the campaign to stop police extortion in Ciudad Constitution. I believe in positive reinforcement.

Positive reinforcement is the MOST POWERFUL way to reinforce behavior that you want. IF THIS STOPS we would want to do a drive NOW. In order to shape behavior it is important to reinforce that behavior as close as possible to the time that behavior occurs. The INTERMITTANT reinforcement is the best way to MAINTAIN that behavior.

So IF the extortion stops, then I hope we can start to bring jackets NOW and be clear that these are from NOMADS and in acknowledgement of this communities stopping the extortion of US Citizens. I would also propose that we get NOMAD bumper stickers so they know who we are.

I would also propose that we NOMADS make it a point to stop in Ciudad Constitution and spend money at local businesses, have lunch, buy gas, purchase from grocery stores, spread the wealth and at each place you spend money, tell them that you are doing so BECAUSE they stopped the Police Extortion.

It would be a great pleasure to do this WITH YOU in honor of the relationship between Ciudad Constitution and Baja Nomads.

gnukid

Please post info on the march, links, any info you can. If this is so then we have even more powerful information to use in this effort. Make News, give out public accomodations to those involved, give ribbons, report this in other forums etc. A link to this news would be very useful.

Thanks to all who have and will participate in this, now is the time to keep the pressure on, full court press. The locals need our support. We cannot let this campaign die.

We give generously to Baja and it's people, listen to your fellow Nomads and how they are hurting from this police extortion and do something to help them! Your effort does count. If we can impact this, think about what else we can do. Think about the recent break in reported on this site. There is nothing more important than our safety and together we have power, let's use it.

Keep the ball rolling, tag, you're it!!

Iflyfishandamaproudnomad
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2010 at 06:55 AM

Skeet's suggestion to contact local schools is a valid one. Lost and found is usually full of jackets at schools and they are donated to Good Will. This is true all during the year, but especially now as these are cleared out for the new school year. We go down to La Paz the first of Dec. and pick up unclaimed jackets each year at the local schools. Just a phone call will let you know if there are any available. Nice thing is you get all sizes. Do try the local elementary schools. Thanks Skeet for the suggestion.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2010 at 06:58 AM

it's admirable that Skeet has a personal charity, the jackets for kids thing in Constitucion, but I am not sure why getting rid of police extortion should be linked to a donation/payback to an unrelated cause on the part of those who have been abused simply because the two are geographically connected.
Nomads ARE generous to Baja and it's people. The cops in Constitucion have been exploiting gringos. I just don't see the connection. I realize that this will earn me a few more adjectives from Skeet, but they will be as fallacious as the rest.

[Edited on 7-17-2010 by rhintransit]

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2010 at 07:12 AM

I would suggest we bring Jackets ONLY if the police extortion stops and that we do it clearly and publically so the locals know we are supporting them stopping Police Extortion of tourists. This is not easy for them to do and we can support them in this way.

As a Licensed Clinical Social Worker many hundreds of parents have said to me, why should I give my son/daughter a treat, praise, special attention if they finish their homework, bring home good grades etc. The answer to that is that behavior is changed through reinforcement. Just like teaching your dog to roll over. You first give your dog a treat when it turns it's head, then you give another when it rolls over and each time it rolls over you repeat the treat, till you only have to give a treat every once in a while. This is called positive reinforcement and it works for humans as well as animals, one of those laws of nature.

We want the people of Ciudad Constitution to stand up against police extortion of tourists and we aught to reward, support and reinforce that behavior, it is what we want.

If the people of Ciudad Constitution are able to stop their police from extorting tourists then we as NOMADS have accomplished something very important, we have helped a community rid itself of corruption. This is what we all want in Baja. If we succeed here, we aught to spread the word that you do not mess with Nomads, who are very good to the people of Baja.

Any more questions? These are good questions and ones that need to be answered so we can be clear in how to succeed in taking on this problem of police extortion of Nomads and other US Citizens in Ciudad Constitution.

Iflyfish

Iflyfish
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2010 at 07:17 AM

Jack, you are right about schools. They are a very good resource for jackets. I hope we hold off on donating UNTILL the Police extortion stops. They we should go full bore with a drive to fill their tills and jacket needs and make NEWS about it so all of Baja hears about this NOMAD project.

There may be a better charity, a more public charity that locals know about, if so we contribute to that charity, do they need an ambulance? Medical equipment? It doesn't matter what community need we address. What is important is that we support that charity AFTER the extortion stops and we tie or donations DIRECTLY and publically to their stopping of this criminal behavior on the part of their police.

Iflyfish
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2010 at 10:14 AM

The reports about citizens protesting abuses by Police in Constitucion yesterday are purely coincidental. There are various people upset with the local police for abusing their authority, according to reports in the local news. In particular, the Ojeda family are demanding the resignation of the sub director de Seguridad Pública Municipal Miguel Ángel Romero Villalejo.

http://colectivopericu.wordpress.com/2010/07/16/se-calienta-...

And this weekend is the beginning of events, political rallies, so a march was planned at the same time. It should be noted as well, that the BCS head of Security Lenin, also made a speech where he said all men and women must come together to fight against crime and corruption.

http://colectivopericu.wordpress.com/2010/07/16/mensaje-de-l...

Today's paper reports on the situation heating up

http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n1710851.htm

[Edited on 7-17-2010 by gnukid]
 Pages:  1  ..  12    14    16  ..  19

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.