Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  12    14  
Author: Subject: Tropical Storm Warning for BCS for Hurricane Norbert
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

you are right Micah...we were very VERY lucky that Norbert veered a bit west when it got near here...the fans worked by golly! Also if there had been rain, things would have been awful. Last night's high tide around 9 was the worst of it...I am working on photos of that hour now.

The road in front of the new Hotel Asuncion is now closed as the bank eroded away quite a bit...we were one of the last cars to pass in front and I sure felt unsafe. The water came up to the main street more than last week. The row of palms in town are still standing but barely.The next storm should eat away more of the bank in town.

It is still blowing 30 knots and a few rain cells passing quickly but all is well here.

....it's been really interesting to hear details of this,,learn 'bout the beast and correlate with various tracking tools available...I was also able to pass some of the photos and observations up the line to others who storm-watch---it's not like anything can effect what big-mamma nature would do,,but maybe,just maybe.......
.......whether it be the 'fans',,,or not attempting fate with hanging laundry,,,opening fridges too help maintain the pressure ridge,,the Asuncisharinomad effect of stability or perhaps hope and/or prayer.....I like to think that -something- was accomplished on these pages more than the usual exercising of internet obsessions.

....any time I spend on Baja in particular wakes me to remember how I'm just one speck of sand--once a part of a tall mountain,,once a long rolling hill,,,sometimes part of the hourglass of beach-sand,,,,and all too often-nothing more than a speck of......'dust-in-the-wind' :wow:;D:yes:
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202

.......whether it be the 'fans',,,or not attempting fate with hanging laundry,,,opening fridges too help maintain the pressure ridge,,the Asuncisharinomad effect of stability or perhaps hope and/or prayer.....I like to think that -something- was accomplished on these pages more than the usual exercising of internet obsessions.

We may get silly sometimes but we are all here to help each other when needed.
Having on the ground info during a hurricane is priceless. We only have each other for reports....CNN forgot about us.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 04:13 PM

There is no substitute for the words and thoughts of people we know and care and worry about during times like these....We all try to keep it light, and we all are concerned about our Baja friends....Wouldn't have it any other way..Thanks all....

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 04:20 PM

Just took my laundry in from what started out to be a beautiful sunny warm day. The clouds are rolling in, the skies are getting grey and ominous....I am close to Ensenada.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 04:25 PM

hey doc, you might want to hang onto your sutures this time; looks like you have some weather coming....i'm just thankful that FINALLY mulege dodged the bullet...FINALLY i'm not mucking out my casa from a foot or so of stinking mud and sewage...albiet, the season is not over yet...i won't hold my breath....good luck, ensenada!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 05:37 PM

Looks like they are projecting for Norbert to cross land just south of us on Tuesday evening, mas o menos. It certainly won't be a hurricane or even a TS but the slow moving speed will allow for it to pickup more moisture along the way. My only concern with this projected path is the potential to dump lots of rain in the sierras, which in turn comes charging back down, funneled into bridge crossings along Hwy1...

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 05:39 PM

...and before I forget - really glad our amigos del sur came through OK!

tksurf

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 05:39 PM

Heading to Scorpion Bay Wednesday from Encinitas, hoping to go in the North Road early Friday.

I would really appreciate hearing from ANYONE with ANY INFO about the North Road into Scorpion, or even the longer South Road.

Gracias, tksurf

PS...I promise I will never bring negativity south of the border.

T. kearney
Zola
Nomad

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 06:46 PM
also want to travel to Scorpion Bay

We are in San Diego and want to travel to San Juanico by the north road next week but are not at all sure whether it will be possible. I saw a photo on a related link (Hurricane Norbert in Punta Abreojos) that showed a photo of Highway 1 near Vizcaino. The highway was completely washed out, with 18-wheel trucks halfway submerged in water. If Highway 1 is in this condition, there is likely little hope for the offroad dunes or roads that lead to San Juanico.

There is also talk of monster rain storms near El Rosario and San Quintin if Norbert makes landfall as a tropical depression early next week.

Please keep us posted. Maybe it is better to postpone plans to travel there until the end of the month? We really, really want to go, but not if it means we are simply putting ourselves in harm's way pointlessly. Thanks for any feedback or information that anyone might have.

This is my first post on this site, but we will be around, and I will always share information as I can.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 07:10 PM

put your trip off....simple as that....all roads will likely be sketchy after this storm.....i, by the way, was fortunate to "float" across that very same arroyo in viscaino that we saw earlier a few years ago....an accomodating surfer duct taped me into my truck cab and i churned my way across with my trailer floating and trying to tow me downstream....never forget it!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Petey
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tksurf
Heading to Scorpion Bay Wednesday from Encinitas, hoping to go in the North Road early Friday.

I would really appreciate hearing from ANYONE with ANY INFO about the North Road into Scorpion, or even the longer South Road.

Gracias, tksurf

I concur with MM - the north road is pretty unlikely to be passable - and there'll be even less help out there than normal if you need it. The other thing to consider is what Marie (and probably Norbert too) did to the breaks there -if you know anyone there, ask.
KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tksurf

Gracias, tksurf

Tksurf and Zola

welcome to the board ,

I wouldn't put off your itinerary but just in case I would be prepared to hole up along the way just in case .
These tormentas are common and the locals can get you around any obstacles quick

Be flexible , safe , unhurried and have fun

Give us a report when you can

With surf pics please , no gps:fire:

ps , its all sand , wet stuff soaks in quick, just be smart about it , this has been a low rain event, savvy?

[Edited on 9-8-2014 by KaceyJ]
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 07:44 PM

You can always go the south road, its all paved.. If the salt flat are to slick on the N road, look for the "middle" road to El Datil.. All sand, as mentioned, soaks in fast.. First rip through the north road?? Think real hard before entering this zone after rain IMO
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 07:58 PM

I bet people are going in and out of the North Road to San Juanico right now. Like KaceyJ said, bring supplies in case you get hung up somewhere, but I remember after the hurricane that nailed SJ a few years ago hearing that trucks were coming into town covered in mud, maybe 2 days after. They made it.

Go explore and have fun.

KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo

Go explore and have fun.

It is what it all about , no?

The trip , not the destination

The north road in itself is an adventure , good people along the way , sights unseen by most and best of all , no asphalt.

when in doubt stay on the east side roads
Zola
Nomad

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 09:33 PM

Thanks for the comments, which I appreciate, and which are thought-provoking.

As for us, we have decided to stay put and postpone our plans. I think if anyone is going to go, they should drive from the south road only after having confirmation that Highway 1 is passable all the way. I think the road from Insurgentes to SJ is already passable right now (but do not yet have confirmation), but it looked unpassable at Vizcaino already, and they say that San Quintin and El Rosario might be flooded tomorrow or Tuesday.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 09:49 PM
HWY 1

From ensenada.net

Transpeninsular Open Road
No sections have been closed across the peninsula

Article posted September 7, 2014
by Elizabeth Vargas

Despite the rains that occurred in Baja California Sur, no stretch of the road has been closed transpeninsular's Federal Police Division ways.

In the case of Baja California, specifically in the town of Ensenada so far the situation remains without incident, but on alert for forecasting rainfall in the region because of Tropical Storm Norbert.

According to data of the corporation many people have called to inquire about the status of the road, which continues to operate normally even in areas where there are fords.

Some carry water but have not been closed because no hazard to motorists.

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 10:09 PM

Just got off the phone with a close friend here who is a PFC. He shared with me that the highway at Vizcaino reopened to traffic earler this afternoon but with a lot of precaution as several riverbeds were breached and water is still a big problem. I second the motion on San Quintin area bridges. With Norbert coming east on the peninsula at about 30šN and continuing across the sierras, the potential exists for a lot of water to get dumped above which would be funneled down to a small number of bridge crossings.

Be careful out there....
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 9-8-2014 at 12:29 AM

TROPICAL STORM NORBERT ADVISORY NUMBER 23
800 PM PDT SUN SEP 07 2014

...NORBERT CONTINUES SLOWLY WEAKENING...
...LIKELY TO BECOME POST-TROPICAL TOMORROW...

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK
------------------------------
AT 800 PM PDT...0300 UTC...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM NORBERT WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 27.1 NORTH...LONGITUDE 117.9 WEST. NORBERT IS
MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 7 MPH...11 KM/H...AND A TURN
TOWARD THE NORTH AND NORTHEAST WITH A DECREASE IN FORWARD SPEED IS
EXPECTED OVER THE NEXT DAY OR TWO. ON THE FORECAST TRACK...NORBERT
IS EXPECTED TO REMAIN OFFSHORE OF THE WEST COAST OF THE BAJA
CALIFORNIA PENINSULA DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE DECREASED TO NEAR 45 MPH...75 KM/H...
WITH HIGHER GUSTS. CONTINUED GRADUAL WEAKENING IS FORECAST DURING
THE NEXT 48 HOURS...AND NORBERT IS EXPECTED TO BECOME A REMNANT LOW
TOMORROW.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 70 MILES...110 KM
FROM THE CENTER.

norbert-mon1227a.jpg - 49kB

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 9-8-2014 at 12:51 AM

norbert-mon1229a.jpg - 49kB

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
 Pages:  1  ..  12    14  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.