Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  15    17    19
Author: Subject: Covid Surge
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 9-18-2023 at 05:35 PM

S,

So I think it’s fair to say that we both built our own houses. This was our 4th from scratch house BTW.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-18-2023 at 05:51 PM

No, I don't think it's fair to say we built our own houses, when we had crews of workers for months on end. We did "some" of the work ourselves.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2023 at 06:11 PM

S,

Like the definition of “indoctrinate” and the use of exclamation points it will be something else we don’t agree on. Go figure!

I did the design and carpentry of some of the furniture as well.

IMG_4554.jpeg - 76kB
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2023 at 07:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
S,

Like the definition of “indoctrinate” and the use of exclamation points it will be something else we don’t agree on. Go figure!

I did the design and carpentry of some of the furniture as well.

Looks nice.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2023 at 08:46 PM

T,

Thanks, but I didn’t build it because someone helped me. Someone hasn’t read the definition of owner builder.

https://www.thespruce.com/building-your-own-house-1821301

Many states do allow homeowners to act as a contractor for their own home. With this arrangement, you become what is frequently termed an owner-builder. In order to contract out for a large-scale project such as a house (rather than an outbuilding or small, lower-cost building), you need to apply for an owner-builder exemption and to sign the building permit application.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-19-2023 at 08:36 AM

T,

Thanks, but I didn’t build it because someone helped me. Someone hasn’t read the definition of owner builder.

I wonder if all the guys who worked away day after day for months building your house would characterize what they did as "helping" you.

And American building code terms are not universal definitions.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-19-2023 at 10:07 AM

S,

So I think it’s fair to say that we both built our own houses. This was our 4th from scratch house BTW.

The bones of your house are shipping crates built in China.
So it is correct to say chinese built >50% of your house! :lol:
Built in china, assembly and finish work in mexico!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2023 at 10:39 AM

Goat,

By value the containers represent about 20% of the cost. The locally manufactured components were the largest percentage of the cost.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2023 at 10:44 AM

gunkid,

:bounce:👍👍👍
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-19-2023 at 10:45 AM

Gnu- neither I nor Goat offered RFC building advice. Try reading what's actually written.
And I didn't learn my construction skills "on the interwebs", I learned through other people with those skills, hands-on, and by doing that work myself for many years.

And since you are so unaware, experienced builders and contractors have online forums where they exchange information about techniques and products and aren't too full of themselves to ask for construction advice.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2023 at 11:00 AM

G&S,

Talk is cheap! I’ve shown you mine! Let’s see yours or back under your respective rocks!

[Edited on 9-19-2023 by RFClark]
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2023 at 08:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Gnu- neither I nor Goat offered RFC building advice. Try reading what's actually written.
And I didn't learn my construction skills "on the interwebs", I learned through other people with those skills, hands-on, and by doing that work myself for many years.

And since you are so unaware, experienced builders and contractors have online forums where they exchange information about techniques and products and aren't too full of themselves to ask for construction advice.

Generally speaking there is a crisis of lack of experience and willingness to learn construction techniques in Baja, which results in failures in foundations, floors, ceilings, and especially openings for doors and windows, plumbing and electrical. While, people with experience as contractors and owner builders from USA or other places where codes and licenses exist, have experience and willingness to learn and adapt to soil conditions, temperatures, architectural style and go the distance to ensure a house is well built, solid and that plumbing and electrical are safe and functioning. This is construction skill crisis today, there is no other route than owner builder or find the very few capable builders that exist here.

Let's be clear, Surabi and Goat are not qualified to build a home or critique, nor think critically about health and covid vaccines, yet here they are... interjecting, again.

[Edited on 9-20-2023 by gnukid]
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-19-2023 at 10:02 PM

So gnukid somehow knows what people he doesn't know are qualified for. Okay then. I guess I just imagined that I bought a lot 20 years ago, designed my house, oversaw the construction, laid every tile myself, and built a rock shower surround. I guess I also imagined that I have lived in said house for 18 years, that everything works just fine, and that everyone who visits and stays here compliments the design. Good thing gnukid is here to to set me straight.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2023 at 12:03 AM

S,

Great, talk is cheap. Lets see the pictures! You built a house a long time ago. You are to be commended if that’s true. Not many people would be successful or even try. That doesn’t make you an expert. House design and construction have changed along with the complexity of the systems houses require to make them as green as possible. Green because it saves a lot of money if done correctly. It also makes you more self-sufficient.

I don’t consider myself any more then a hobbyist when it comes to building, even after building 4 homes from scratch.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-20-2023 at 05:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

Let's be clear, Surabi and Goat are not qualified to build a home or critique, nor think critically about health and covid vaccines, yet here they are... interjecting, again.

[Edited on 9-20-2023 by gnukid]

Let’s revist some of oldkid’s post about health and covid :lol::lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-20-2023 at 08:48 AM

S,

Great, talk is cheap. Lets see the pictures! You built a house a long time ago. You are to be commended if that’s true. Not many people would be successful or even try. That doesn’t make you an expert. House design and construction have changed along with the complexity of the systems houses require to make them as green as possible. Green because it saves a lot of money if done correctly. It also makes you more self-sufficient.

I don’t consider myself any more then a hobbyist when it comes to building, even after building 4 homes from scratch.

More mansplaining. I guess you just can't help it, you must believe that women need to have everything explained to them as if they know nothing and in the language you would use with a kindergartner.

I never once claimed to be a construction "expert". Being qualified to undertake something doesn't mean one considers themselves an expert.

And considering that I have the lowest utility bills of anyone I know, you can save your "green" lecture for someone else. FYI you said you use 32KWHs of electricity per day. I use one tenth of that.

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2023 at 10:02 AM

S,

You hide behind a “nom de plum” and take cheap shots at those you disagree with and never in my memory post any pictures of baja. Why would anyone take you seriously?
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-20-2023 at 10:14 AM

Oh, posting pictures of Baja is the criteria for taking someone seriously? :lol:

Take cheap shots at those I disagree with? Very telling that you don't say that to those here who "hide behind a nom de plume" that do nothing but insult others.

So it's obvious that it isn't the nom de plume or "cheap shots" you object to, it's an objection based on the poster's views.

[Edited on 9-20-2023 by surabi]

[Edited on 9-20-2023 by surabi]
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2023 at 10:21 AM

S,

Read my posts. I have condemned everyone who takes cheap shots at others. Without regard to who. An “insult” sometimes is in the eye of the recipient or others reading it. You for example are often insulted to hear why you are wrong!

Your CFE and Hydro bill equates to CO2 generated no mater how small they are. Solar doesn’t no matter how large. Solar used to cook or heat also reduces propane use as well.

None of which deals with your invisibility!

[Edited on 9-20-2023 by RFClark]

[Edited on 9-20-2023 by RFClark]
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2023 at 04:19 PM

L,

So was that designed to keep Cartel drones from dropping grenades on the car like in the Ukraine?
 Pages:  1  ..  15    17    19

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.