Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: I was roobed by the Mexicali Police July 11th
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2024 at 08:06 AM

Hey. Same exact thing happened to me a couple months ago. A team of a young good looking male cop who is very chatty and his female partner. He wears a bunch of gun magazines across his chest as if he is Rambo. He initially is very friendly and talks up a storm. His partner is a woman who at first acted afraid of my two dogs. He pulled me over saying he was concerned I was ok and claimed I was moving around in the lane. Of course I wasn't. He asked if his lady partner could search my truck. I said ok. What else would I say? Then she acts all scared of my two dogs which were secured with leashes in the back seat. In hindsight it was all a show to make me think she was an innocent little scared thing. In reality she was a total thief. He then asked me to get out and move to the back of my truck where he proceeded to chat me up more and frisk me. The entire time he was taking all my concentration so I wasn't seeing what she was doing. She found my cash. Took half of it, about $500, which I didn't notice till several minutes after we parted way.

I sent a message to Mexicali PD FB page and said eff u to all of them.

Then last month I'm crossing southbound again and immediately get pulled over by two policia cars. At first I didn't recognize the guy with the gun magazines. But then I'm telling the other guy about being ripped off by his cohorts a couple months ago. He immediately starts yelling at me that not all cops are bad. All our conversations were in Spanish. Yeah, right. Then why did he pull me over? So I'm looking in my mirror and I see a woman get out of the second car. I point and say she's the one! She looks at me and immediately gets back into the car. The lead cop tells me how do I know it was her. I pointedly asked him how many female patrol cops work for his agency. Of course very few. He knew exactly what she was up to.We yelled some more and they told me to move along. Obviously they knew I was onto their game. Pieces of dump.

I felt totally stupid for not hiding my cash better. And I should have refused to leave the truck until she was done with her "search". Lesson learned.

[Edited on 7-16-2024 by Doug/Vamonos]

[Edited on 7-19-2024 by Doug/Vamonos]
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2024 at 09:23 AM

I'm curious as to why people would carry $1000US cash with them, especially when travelling in areas where corruption is known to be rampant or where you know there are inspection points.

I understand having an emergency cash stash, but $1000US is a lot of money, certainly seems like overkill if for some reason you couldn't get to an ATM to withdraw $ or the machine was out of cash, etc.considering that much money in Mexico could get you a hotel room, meals and gas for at least 2 or 3 days and probably more if you weren't being extravagant.

[Edited on 7-16-2024 by surabi]
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2024 at 10:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
I'm curious as to why people would carry $1000US cash with them, especially when travelling in areas where corruption is known to be rampant or where you know there are inspection points.

I understand having an emergency cash stash, but $1000US is a lot of money, certainly seems like overkill if for some reason you couldn't get to an ATM to withdraw $ or the machine was out of cash, etc.considering that much money in Mexico could get you a hotel room, meals and gas for at least 2 or 3 days and probably more if you weren't being extravagant.

NO. It is NOT. And I believe the OP runs a business in Baja Sur
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2024 at 10:40 AM

If someone runs a business in Mexico, they have a Mexican bank account and a debit card for the account. Nothing about running a business in Mexico necessitates carrying $1000US on you.

And of course if you choose to stay in a $300/night hotel room, eat full course meals in upscale retaurants and drive for 12 hrs a day, $1000 might not last you for 2 days, but if for some reason a traveller found themselves in an emergency cash situation, one would assume they would choose less expensive options.

cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2024 at 12:16 PM

One thousand dollars cash for me is next to nothing. If I go below that amount I start to feel in danger of being out of money. I've not yet used a plastic card in Mexico; haven't needed to.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2024 at 12:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by cupcake  
One thousand dollars cash for me is next to nothing. If I go below that amount I start to feel in danger of being out of money. I've not yet used a plastic card in Mexico; haven't needed to.

Well, of course a thousand dollars cash is nothing if you only travel with cash and don't use ATMs or pay with debit or credit cards.

But that's not what I'm talking about. We were talking about "emergency" cash. Most people don't travel with all the cash they will need for their travels- they withdraw $ from ATMs and pay for things like hotels or a nice restaurant meal with plastic, specifically to lessen the risk of getting robbed of a lot of money.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-16-2024 at 01:28 PM

Well, of course a thousand dollars cash is nothing if you only travel with cash and don't use ATMs or pay with debit or credit cards.

But that's not what I'm talking about. We were talking about "emergency" cash. Most people don't travel with all the cash they will need for their travels- they withdraw $ from ATMs and pay for things like hotels or a nice restaurant meal with plastic, specifically to lessen the risk of getting robbed of a lot of money.

I usually carry cash in baja. Partly from habit due to being burned by CC fraud. Partly because visiting off grid locations where cc payments sometimes not taken.
I always hide my cash well, it is not findable unless you really dig deep… military and cops don't dig very deeply or thoroughly…

Some of you say cc is easier now, and less fraud. Perhaps so. I just find that even 1 cancelled card is a PITA, especially when traveling away from home.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2024 at 02:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I usually carry cash in baja. Partly from habit due to being burned by CC fraud. Partly because visiting off grid locations where cc payments sometimes not taken.
I always hide my cash well, it is not findable unless you really dig deep… military and cops don't dig very deeply or thoroughly…

Some of you say cc is easier now, and less fraud. Perhaps so. I just find that even 1 cancelled card is a PITA, especially when traveling away from home.

Makes sense goat.
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2024 at 07:43 PM

$1000 cash is what it takes to get an ambulance ride from San Felipe to Calexico. So as for an emergency amount not excessive.

We've traveled in a lot of 3rd world countries in Asia and the Americas. Having enough cash to get your a$$ out of trouble is just part of good trip preparation.

As for Mexicali, I've been stopped a number of times. Not leaving one alone to go through the vehicle (having a passenger helps) and not paying for a "traffic" ticket. Having a visible dash cam seems to help. YMMV
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2024 at 11:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

A little different for me as I live in Mexico 10 months a year and have a Mexican bank account as well as a Canadian one. So I have 2 debit cards. Aside from getting my wallet stolen once, and the thieves immediately charging $800 on the Canadian card (which after a few weeks was refunded to my account by their fraud dept.), I've never had any problems using an ATM to withdraw cash. I do always use ATMs attached to brick and mortar banks, not free-standing ones.

And I pay for lots of on-site purchases with my Mex. debit card.

I never use my Canadian CC in Mexico. But the most common way CC fraud happens is if you let an employee take it out of your sight to run it through the machine. Always have them let you swipe or inject your card yourself and enter the pin, making sure they aren't watching.

Yes, it's definitely a drag if a debit or credit card has to be cancelled because it was compromised, lost, or stolen. When I got mine stolen, I was able to replace the Mex. one right away, but the Canadian one was a big hassle. Mostly because the agent I talked to on the phone assured me I'd still be able to do online banking even if the card was cancelled, which turned out not to be true.

[Edited on 7-17-2024 by surabi]
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2024 at 06:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mjs  
$1000 cash is what it takes to get an ambulance ride from San Felipe to Calexico. So as for an emergency amount not excessive.

We've traveled in a lot of 3rd world countries in Asia and the Americas. Having enough cash to get your a$$ out of trouble is just part of good trip preparation.

As for Mexicali, I've been stopped a number of times. Not leaving one alone to go through the vehicle (having a passenger helps) and not paying for a "traffic" ticket. Having a visible dash cam seems to help. YMMV

good points
baja-chris
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2024 at 09:07 AM

I had an ATM in Calimax San Felipe tell me unable to communicate with my bank after requesting 5000 pesos. No cash dispensed. But the amount got debited from my bank and they refused to refund it. This was Chime bank which I was using for Baja ATM cash because no foreign transaction fees. Well, Chime are crooks in my book. Never using that bank again. I don't know what to do. The crime and corruption are so bad now. Get shook down or robbed of cash by the local corrupt cops or risk fraud by using ATM's and credit cards in Mexico. Twice I've had to cancel my credit card after fraudulent charges after Mexican use. Add that to the dangerous state of the roads. Its enough to make me seriously consider selling the house down there.
cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2024 at 10:31 AM

Decided to post my not-too-long-ago 'Mexican Cop Experience'.

In 2019, I was on the bus, going from Hermosillo to Tijuana, can't remember exactly where, but well into the trip (up north hugging the international border), the bus stopped for a police check point. A single cop boards the bus and slowly makes his way down the aisle, questioning people as he goes. He gets to me and without any warning grabs my money belt through my clothes and says "what's this?" "Just cash" I say. He says "how much, $5,000?" No says I, only $2,000. Thinking I was about to loose roughly $2,800US, the cop then says "that's ok" and without even looking at my stash he moves on to the next passenger. Whew! :P

[Edited on 7-17-2024 by cupcake]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-17-2024 at 10:40 AM

Decided to post my not-too-long-ago 'Mexican Cop Experience'.'

About the time you took your bus ride, I remember reading a news article about Narcos using mules to not only transport drugs north, but they were also using different mules to smuggle cash south to avoid any record of financial transactions.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2024 at 08:26 AM

Please...enough with the commentary on how much cash we do or do not carry. You have NO idea what you are talking about and it is simply none of your business. Have you ever had a vehicle break down in a small town or between towns in the desert? Do you think it is a wise idea to have enough cash to get yourself out of an emergency like that. Enough.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2024 at 01:07 PM

No one has defined ''emergency cash'' yet. Guilty of carrying large amounts of cash NOB and SOB. SOB I wear blue tactical pants, 8 pockets, 2 below the knees are all but invisible. Money is distributed over 8 pockets, shoes, plus money belt.

''Most people''? Don't think you really know how much most travelers have on them but wild guesses are allowed. I feel safer with money on me along with my spring-assisted knife (carried in my sock in towns).

BTW, Canada says my knife is illegal. If they found I had hidden it while crossing, they'd arrest me and prob give me a 10 year ban. Phooey.

BTW, money is always on me.

Carry on.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2024 at 02:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

No one has defined ''emergency cash'' yet. Guilty of carrying large amounts of cash NOB and SOB. SOB I wear blue tactical pants, 8 pockets, 2 below the knees are all but invisible. Money is distributed over 8 pockets, shoes, plus money belt.

''Most people''? Don't think you really know how much most travelers have on them but wild guesses are allowed. I feel safer with money on me along with my spring-assisted knife (carried in my sock in towns).

BTW, Canada says my knife is illegal. If they found I had hidden it while crossing, they'd arrest me and prob give me a 10 year ban. Phooey.

BTW, money is always on me.

Carry on.

Correct.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2024 at 02:35 PM

you all forget that surabi is a canook:light:. nuff said.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-19-2024 at 02:48 PM

In the olden days i traveled all over the world carrying only cash and travelers checks. I think i had a credit card, but i don’t remember using it.
Now we got people who are anti-cash and think they can travel the world on a debit card. Some goofball shops in usa and europe even refuse cash transactions?
What’ya gonna do after trump starts nuclear war, internet crashes for foreseeable future and you got no cash?
If you are a prepper, perhaps you already carry gold or cash?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.