Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 03:18 PM
right on Dennis and Bill!!

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM

If you are going to attempt a re-structure of society and limit people to what they NEED, as opposed to what they desire and enjoy, you'd find yourself very alone in that position.

Well, not completely alone. They'll have Karl Marx to keep them company.

it's that "cradle to grave" mentality of social control that's so dangerous!
the last thing i need is a market interference mechanism the likes of OH and his fellow archetypes and iconoclastic demagogues telling me what's best for how i live. What a crock.....

send them all back to the dark ages for all i care. give me the freedom to make my own decisions, or none of it matters in the end - others can be autosheep, not me - i'd rather be deaaaad.:barf:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Cap
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capn.sharky
It must be obvious that Capt. Mike and Diver don't live in Loreto. Hey, I don't live in Cabo San Lucas, but I think tourism ruined it to the point that the native Mexicans can't afford to live in town. I understand the Captains point, but that doesn't mean that Old Hippy doesn't have a right to complain. I live near a small private airplane airport. I don't like it because there have been several times planes have plowed into buildings. I think it should be closed....but I don't own a private airplane. I am not rich. But people have been killed by those private airplane and that just ain't right. I know, cars kill more and I own several of them. But cars are a necessity for work, shopping for groceries, etc. So....keep up the good work Old Hippy. You have a right to your opinions....and so does Mike. Go ahead Mike and rotflmao...just remember, no burro no more crap.

WOw! that is a bit scary. I would take care with this kind of moral relativism. Cars being more ness. than planes is relative to where you live, and your current state of health. I am sure the many people I have airlifted for medical reasons would attest to the very nessessary elements of small aircraft. The next time you fly on a comercial jet-liner please ask the flight crew where they got their start.
I wouldn't have mentioned this except for the "I'm not rich" comment. There are many working class back country small plane drivers that volunteer to fly in the Doctors with out borders crowd. Unknown to most folks these same pilots frequently rush to the aid or rescue of people in need. The word you are looking for is "thank you"

Instead of advocating closing our runways without thinking, you could move out of the flight pattern, and look into changing the zoning of the property around the airport to something more suitable. I would venture a guess that the airport was there first.

Fly low, land on roads.
oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 05:00 PM

Man-oh-man, I voice the opinion that desalination should be used only when needed and MrBill has me restructuring society, DENNIS throws in Marxism and Capt Mike is fearing cradel to grave social control by iconoclastic demagogues.

hehehehe you guys are a riot.

But Capt. Mike, you're right. The strongest force is market demand.

Just how is the real estate market doing these days?

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 05:22 PM

It may have been covered and missed but, with all the interest in de-sal and the assumption that eventually there will be many installations around the world....... What are they going to do with all the left over salt?
oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 05:38 PM

leftover salt and all the other minerals and who knows what else comes through the intakes.

1. Spread on some ground that will soon be useless.
2. Dump it back into the ocean
3. Inject it into the ground and hope you miss the aquifers

Those are the options.

Hey honey, doesn't the water taste like dolphin pee today? I don't know dear, I've never tasted dolphin pee. Well you have now. Oh yeah, please go out back and get a few cups of salt for the popcorn party tonight. And please don't bring back any of the yellow salt.

I'll check into it as I research desal, but I think about 50% of the volume is waste.

[Edited on 8-6-2007 by oldhippie]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 05:45 PM

So, the SOC could be turned into a sea of brine. You could tear the bottom off your boat and it would still float. It would be almost impossible to drown and everybody could throw away their fishing gear, all so the ninth green could be watered.

HMMMMMM..........Not good.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldhippie
leftover salt and all the other minerals and who knows what else comes through the intakes.

1. Spread on some ground that will soon be useless.
2. Dump it back into the ocean
3. Inject it into the ground and hope you miss the aquifers

Those are the options.

Hey honey, doesn't the water taste like dolphin pee today? I don't know dear, I've never tasted dolphin pee. Well you have now. Oh yeah, please go out back and get a few cups of salt for the popcorn party tonight. And please don't bring back any of the yellow salt.

Only 1, 2, 3 huh ?? What a doomster !
Have you never heard of the commercial salt business ??
Y'know, small lined drying ponds and trucks and employment and stuff like that.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 05:51 PM

Diver ....

Isn't there now and in the past a glut of salt on the market? It's one of the few things in the store that could still be considered inexpensive.
oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 06:03 PM

Diver,

Desalination plants produce liquid wastes that may contain all or some of the following constituents: high salt concentrations, chemicals used during defouling of plant equipment and pretreatment, and toxic metals (which are most likely to be present if the discharge water was in contact with metallic materials used in construction of the plant facilities).

What comes out is much more than desalinated water and salt. I'm planning to make a study of the desalination process. It's no doubt expensive, one time capital outlay to build the facility and recurring energy and maintenance costs, and it's no doubt polluting. The question is, is it prohibitively so? As you know the marine environment is the Loreto area is much more fragile than open ocean and Mexicans on average are poor. So expense and pollutants have high significance in the Loreto area.

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 06:19 PM

put the salt back in the sea where it came from
a desalt plant is like a dimple on a pimple on a misquitoes tity compared to the evaporation of water in the sea of cortez each day
if all your taking out is fresh water all the rest is all readdy in the sea:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

jerry and judi
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 06:26 PM

ok all metal boats, docks,ships barges ferries as well as lures, swivels fish hooks props, dive gear will have to be out lawed too ??
come on old hippy the wear from metal parts in a desal plant are going to polute the sea get real your grabbing for straws
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::?:

jerry and judi
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
ok all metal boats, docks,ships barges ferries as well as lures, swivels fish hooks props, dive gear will have to be out lawed too ??
come on old hippy the wear from metal parts in a desal plant are going to polute the sea get real your grabbing for straws
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::?:

Jerry

What part of concentrating given toxins do you not comprehend?

Forget all the above items you listed , if you take what's already present in sea water and increase the presence 100 fold or more perhaps of all disolved minerals, don't you think that wherever the effluent falls it's going to make that area just a little too rich for life thats been used to a normal or lower concentration for the last 100 million years?

Me thinks you like a good laugh at the expense of a serious topic and conversation.

I'm not very good at writing myself, but your misspellings , lack of sentence structure and punctuation aside , you come across as dumb as a box of rocks
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 10:48 PM

bajalero kill the messanger?? Im very serious about what im saying.
As i said simple every day evaporation will concentrate minerals in the sea more then any desale plant . I have no reasone to believe that it will effect sea life at all because there is no way it will concentrate 1 fold much less 100 fold. So you dont know what your talking about.
People and who live in glass houses shouldnt throu rocks.

jerry and judi
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 05:17 AM

The dump site will be a "dead zone". Won't wipe out the whole Sea of Cortez, just a small area. No big deal unless you happen to live near that area.:no: And the area will expand.:o
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 06:08 AM

Can the salt be sold ? Does it need to be further processed before it can be used in industrial or household applications.

The idea here is the complete use of byproducts to enhance the circular nature of the process. Thus, reducing the impact on the surrounding eco-systems.

-CaboRon

oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 06:11 AM

An engineering company that is expert in desal hired by Loreto Bay has already concluded that because of the fragile nature of the SOC in that area that injection wells, the most expensive method of disposal, should be used.

I have to work every day this week, the company I have a contract with doesn't seem to understand the phrase "semi-retired", so I won't be reading too much about desal, but for those interested, start here:

http://www.coastal.ca.gov/desalrpt/dchap1.html

Jerry, this is where I got the paragraph about what is contained in the discharge. I was in a hurry and didn't cite the source before.

[Edited on 8-6-2007 by oldhippie]

oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 06:15 AM

The comment about evaporation misses the mark a bit because the evaporation of water from the SOC is evenly distributed over its entire surface.

islandmusicteach
Junior Nomad

Mood: almost in baja

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 06:28 AM

This topic's quite interesting to me as I live on Catalina Island, one of the few places (outside of the middle east) where a desal plant runs 24/7.

I won't pretend to have all the details exact, here's the sketch:
The plant was put in as part of the Hamilton Cove condo development in the 80's, and was only planned to be run during times of drought. The first time they tried to fire it up when the reservoir was low, it failed all inspections and took a year to get on line. After that Edison decided it was prudent to keep it running 24/7. I'm not sure what they do with the brine.

Edison came back with a huge rate increase which the PUC approved. Now we have expensive water which gets more so as fuel costs rise. Edison, which sells us power and water, has no real incentive to limit desal use, even though alternatives like expansion of the reservoir and well drilling exist.

Developers see desal as the golden goose - it used to be that limited water resources was the reason projects wouldn't get approved. Now desal always comes up...
oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rob
OH: what is the moral difference between an aqueduct and desal - or for that matter, excavating a well?

I don't know how morals came into this discussion. I'm talking about cost to the consumer, the chemical and biological science of pollution, and the deleterious effects of both.

oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 06:38 AM

Thanks for the first hand info islandmusicteach. I hope you can provide more or point me to info on the Internet about the Catalina Island experience.

Lucky you, living on Catalina. 26 miles across the sea, romance, romance, romance, romance.

I did my final scuba check-out dive at Catalina. The instructor pulled off my face mask and pulled out my mouth piece to see my reaction. I gave him the finger. He thought it appropriate and I got my c-card:tumble:

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.