BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6
Author: Subject: San Ignacio Lagoon
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 10:12 AM

You tell'em girl!!!!!;D

Whoa there, Cowboy - pull back on those reins!
TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 10:14 AM

safarigirl -

I didn't see any detractors in the posts, just people who want you to elaborate. Please give us more info -- your point of view, your hopes, what you're envisioning... It's one of my favorite places as well.

feliz
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
In the past, I heard of foreign ('gringo') groups pretend to want to protect the whales or natural habitat. Instead money raised goes mostly into their pockets or politicians pockets.

DK,
Don't be so quick to tar and feather environmental groups. US and Mexican enviro groups have a >10 year history of working on the lagoon's issues, and the good accomplishments far outweigh any negative. You should go to San Ignacio lagoon and check it and talk with locals innvolved in the eco-torism business before you condemn the environmental groups and their accomplishments. Kiss a whale while you are there, it's a kick
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 11:30 AM

Skulpin----------that is exactly what we want her to do------tell us something. How can we learn if she won't?
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 11:35 AM

I've talked with people that work and do research there and everyone of them have said that whale watching is a win/win situation. It is highly regulated and with all the tourist coming now you couldn't ask for a better conservation based promotion. The locals have a steady income base. During the off season the make curios for the tourist.
Here are just 3 photos. I don't know how to post multiple photos in one post..... Yet?

[Edited on 8-27-2007 by Russ]

BabyWhale3.jpg - 49kB

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 11:36 AM

BabyWhale2.jpg - 48kB

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 11:36 AM

Baby whale 1.jpg - 49kB

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 11:54 AM

Good stuff, Russ.

By the way, anybody that works 24 hours a day has got to be operating at 1/2 speed, and groggy as all get out, so I should cut her some slack, it seems to me.

I will excercise patience, and wait for her response this time.

Oh, and by the way, I do NOT consider myself as an "environmental detractor"-------it is just my many years with the National Park Service that makes me wary of some enviros-----------some tend to over-react, and be not open to ideas other than their own. I hope that SafariGirl is not one of them------------(????)
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

Last April I flew over to San Ignacio Lagoon from Mulege. The pilot of the Cessna was sensitive enough to know not to fly out over the water

actually it is illegal to do that. and the pilot surely may be respective of the whale's peace - but if you're going to fly in baja, just like in the USA, you have to know the airspace and rules. that area has a protection barrier horiz and vert you cannot legally penetrate. if caught there are serious consequences. and mex bio-life agents have binocs to tag your number or might drive over to chat if you park after a buzz job.

Mike,

Read my quote again. I said the pilot had the sensitivity to NOT fly over the lagoon (water). We flew over the mountain and did not buzz the area. We maintained a high altitude and the view of the lagoon was from a great and respectful distance from the Lagoon. Why would you think that I, whose concern for environmental issues are quite apparent, boast of violating a whale sanctuary??? If you cross those mountains you can't not have a view of the Lagoon.

I think that it is a good thing that you inform Nomads of a "restricted" fly zone. My pilot was aware of the restricted zone, which was my point.

Regarding potential detractors (in my opinion.....just a suspicion...I am subject to criticism for my suspicion) I think they did a good job in further explaning their positions. Sorry for my attitude....I admit it exists. I also am disappointed that the woman who started this string hasn't responded to your questions. I too would like to hear her concerns. Again, I support her desire to make a difference (if that is possible).

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 12:11 PM

toneArt----------you are mis-interpreting what Mike said, I think------he only pointed out that it is illegal to fly over the San Ignacio Lagoon, and probably the pilot knew that------he never said that YOU wanted to violate the Lagoon, or that the pilot did either.

But Mike can explain himself a lot better than I can, I am sure.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
toneArt----------you are mis-interpreting what Mike said, I think------he only pointed out that it is illegal to fly over the San Ignacio Lagoon, and probably the pilot knew that------he never said that YOU wanted to violate the Lagoon, or that the pilot did either.

But Mike can explain himself a lot better than I can, I am sure.

Well, he did respond to my post by saying, "that's illegal". I think he didn't see the
"not" in my post. Maybe I wasn't clear enough about what we did and didn't do. I don't take offense. Capt. Mike knows the rules of flying in Baja, and he is right to inform.

safarigirl
Junior Nomad

Mood: Outstanding

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 12:50 PM

I am sorry I started this post. It was not my intention to get embroiled in an environmental discussion, nor do I have the time or inclination to educate anyone about the Lagoon right now.

Rather, I have spent many, many years in remote places in Baja and have also lived there. The past couple years I have not been able to do so, and find that the peninsula is very important to me, so much so that I want to spend my time and energy protecting what I so deeply care about. My simple question was in hopes that someone who has spent time there in the past year or two, and is familiar with the issues concerning the Lagoon, may have a suggestion on how best I might now do that.

Although the issues are complex, below is something Serge Dedina from Wildcoast says about this last natural place on earth where the grey whales (longest migration of any mammal on the planet) go to breed, rasie their young, and actually seek interaction with humans - one of the very same places that ran red with their blood 100 yrs. ago when whales were slaughtered there:

" this wetland complex is a global treasure and one of the world’s most biologically significant coastal sites.In 2000, thanks to national and international pressure, the Mexican government cancelled an industrial salt production project, which would have devastated Laguna San Ignacio. But this victory did not mean permanent protection of Laguna San Ignacio: a new salt production federal concession, mega-resorts, and land speculation threaten to dramatically alter the pristine lagoon, and hundreds of square miles of wetlands and mangroves."
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 01:09 PM

Wasn't there a post awhile that stated that some conservancy purchased a long term lease from the ejido for a large portion of this area?
Found something from awhile ago:

Save San Ignacio Lagoon. WiLDCOAST, Pronatura, NRDC, and the International Community Foundation, recently protected 140,000-acres along the shoreline of San Ignacio Lagoon (midway between Abreojos and Scorpion Bay), in a project that also plans to conserve Punta Abreojos and the coast north of Scorpion Bay. You can help save one of Baja's great wilderness surfbreak areas for ten dollars an acre. Go to savethegraywhale.com and donate now.
---- http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=17162#pid1470...

[Edited on 8-27-2007 by Russ]

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 01:21 PM

Great response, Safarigirl--------now we know your intentions-------I apologise if I caused you any distress, or took up your time-----------

I think a few of the posts actually helped you---------and that is good. Don't condemn us or think us hostile----we aren't-------we need people of all types on this board to keep us all honest. :lol:

I hope you find a conduit for your zeal, and willingness to help the causes you believe in, and it sounds like you will, or have already.

Look forward to future posts by you.

Best, Barry
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 01:44 PM

Safarigirl,
The best source of info on land preservation efforts are some of the eco-tourism outfits, and the orgs like WiLDCOAST, Pronatura and NRDC. This board in my experience is usually lacking in knowledge of and participation in the larger environnmental activities in Baja, like san ignacio lagoon.
There has been a lot of recent progress in establishing "preservation easements" where orgs have bought development rights from land owners. A couple examples are at the lagoon and BOLA. Also active efforts are underway to stop destruction of turtles via poachers, and bycatch destruction by long liners, drift nets and shrimp fishing. It's a big area, many places threatened, pick your fight and join in. Always need more to battle the destructive influences of development and apathy.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 02:22 PM

805Greg,

I too once thought "leave the poor whales alone" Then a few years ago I saw just how anxious they are for human contact, as someone else said here, the mothers bring the infants TO THE BOATS, (It kind of looked to me like when I take my kids to the zoo) this April my then 13yr. old (huge eco/animal protector) was able to for the first time experience the lagoon........talk about a thrill for this kid that dreams of nothing but working with animals when he gr ows up! One mother brought the baby over and pushed him/her up from below to the reach of our hands.

They obviously love human contact or with one swish of their tails would be long go! Also, as David K. said, the panga drivers go out where there are whale in the area and idle, if they come to us, fine.........if not, we move on. Never, never are they allowed to follow a whale that is swimming away.

Mean people suck!
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 03:22 PM

So are you telling me you only go out with the whales because the whales want you to? Why are you not allowed within 100 yrds of whales in Hawaii? You watch, someone will get between a mother and her calf and get spanked. I've seen film of a women swimming with porpoises, who got a thrill ride down to about 60 ft when one grabbed her by the calf. These are wild anamials and should be treated as such. They come by where I live in the Santa Barbara channel, I won't even turn my boat any more, I just let them be.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 04:01 PM

Thanks safarigirl for posting some details, finally... I only asked you what you wanted to protect the lagoon from... nothing complicated.

I think I gather you want to protect it from things that don't yet exist there, but could someday? I think that is called 'preserving'... keeping it the way it is now.

Good for you!

I would like to preserve Baja from any more graded or paved roads! That is the enemy of natural beauty for it brings in development and change.

However, Baja is part of Mexico and how or when it is developed is their business... I can only hope it will stay wild and beautiful for as long as possible!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

I would like to preserve Baja from any more graded or paved roads! That is the enemy of natural beauty for it brings in development and change.

However, Baja is part of Mexico and how or when it is developed is their business... I can only hope it will stay wild and beautiful for as long as possible!

You can't have it both ways. Better hurry and go down more than a couple of weeks a year before it is all gone.

and before you condemn me. look at the changes in the last 5 years!.

Ralph
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 04:51 PM

Both ways? I understand completely what is happening and why... I have enjoyed Baja for 42 years of my almost 50... and I hope to continue to do so!

Check Nomad Trip Reports forum, my web site and Baja Notebook links and you will see I spend far more than a couple a weeks per year there... There will always be places to explore or visit again... That's what makes Baja magic!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.