Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6
Author: Subject: a couple of questions
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 11:30 AM

OK Diver, I'll bite----------

I am 70, male, white USA cit. of English descent, pale, interested in almost everything, inactive Christian, 12 years retired/Ranger Pilot, Canadian Whiskey with water and an oz. of lemon/lime soda (which my stomach loves), Dual BA in Geography/southwest history from San Diego State, and avidly interested in Baja and the outdoors.

I guess this puts me in the WM old-fart camp, but I don't feel old. :lol:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 11:42 AM

B-matic..........

Good for you. You got it. I don't know how to answer the questions. Niether do you. Let's have a show of hands
[a] How many Blacks here
How many Muslims
[c] How many Whites who think they have what it takes to understand a question that only a Black man or a Muslim would comprehend

Nobody here has done a good job of answering his questions but, you're right again. If he wants good answers, he should ask people who fully understand the question. How did you put it? Ask people of his own kind?
Yeah.....That's what you said.
"Old, White and Grumpy".......... I'm two of the three. You pick'em.

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 11:45 AM
how would I have known that?

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
I cannot accurately answer your question because being an African American Muslim is not my experience.

Hi there, Newbie.....

I've got to say, I'm confused as to why you would bring that question to a board comprised of 98% old white people, most of whom are, if anything at all, Christian. If you belong to a Black, Muslim community, there has to be an informed opinion available there. You have to know that moving into Mexico anywhere is going to fill your life with a new diversity. Why would you ask us? How would we know?
Let me add that, Black, Muslim is good. If it's Black Muslim, don't tell Trump if you decide to buy his property.

Um how do I know what race and religion you are here? It is my first post and someone reccomended me to ask questions here. I am not part of a "black" muslim community. The faith that I belive has no color, but. others may see things different. It just so happens I am black. I thought it would be a good idea to ask on a forum full of people that are actually living in mexico. Maybe I was wrong?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 11:45 AM

I don't know how I started getting the heavy print. Must have been when I slammed my beer into the keybord. Since we were talking about Black, I just didn't want anybody to think it was a statement.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by newbie
Maybe I was wrong?

No, Newbie, you weren't wrong. You're the one who brought color and spiritual commitment to this forum. All of your questions were good. I just feel you asked them to the wrong audience.
You're making me wonder........
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 11:52 AM

I have to respond to Dennis even though I know you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Hey, I'll be one someday, and I won't want anyone teaching me anything.

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNISI feel that, if an accurate answer was Newbie's desire, he asked the wrong bunch of people.

Um, no he didn't. The posters above may not have had all the answers, but they did have at least some. I'll bet there are more lurkers with more answers. And accuracy, it would seem from the posts, is a fairly subjective concept, which makes sense given the subject matter.

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNISI knew when I posted that there would be responses from some who evidently think that any question to race or religion is inappropriate, rude and out of place. That is truly your problem with which you infect the world.

Wow. I sure hope there's an antidote for whatever you think it is that I infected everyone with. However, my point wasn't that Newbie's question about how his race and religion are treated in BCN was inappropriate or out of place. I did, however, find parts of your response to be disrespectful. But, as Minnow aptly put it, that's just you being you, old dog.

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNISIf more people would discuss their differences, we would have more understanding. We should ask. We should wonder. We shouldn't treat differences as "thin Ice", not to be treaded upon.

Good point. I couldn't agree more. But it's a dialogue, one that can and should be conducted in a respectful manner. Responding to his questions with "how would we old crackers know?" is not a dialogue -- it's a brush off. And I don't really know what to make of the Trump comment.

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNISNewbie asked the question about joining a part of Mexico, bringing genetic and cultural differences. That was his/her question. Good questions. My feeling is that he/she brought the enquiry to the non-conversant. He asked people who wouldn't know the answers. That was my point.

Wrong. See above.

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNISI didn't bring up race and religion here. Newbie did.

Indeed. And you responded in your own curmudgeonly (no insult to The Sculpin intended) way by effectively telling him to buzz off.

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNISYou're off-base with your response, DanO. Some of my best friends are White.

Mine too, including myself. But, as the posts above demonstrate, white people are quite capable of learning things about people who aren't the same color, or religion.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart

I don't think the fact you are Muslim would be an identifying factor. How would anybody know that? I think you would probably find a mosque somewhere in Baja Norte. Have you inquired in your community or done a google search about mosques in Northern Baja?

Are you a retiree or I will you be commuting to work in the U.S.? Do you have a job near the border? Do you speak any Spanish? That's a big help.

The Identifying factor maybe the beard on my face. As far as mosques I do know there are some in mexico, however, I am not sure about the location. I probably will be communiting to San Diego as I haven't totally set up the logistics of living in mexico. My desire is to buy/build an affordable home which seems too expensive in Southern California. Also, I will take several trips to mexico prior to making a firm decision. Perhaps I'll rent for several months.

Thanks for the input it is helpful.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 11:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by newbie
Maybe I was wrong?

No, Newbie, you weren't wrong. You're the one who brought color and spiritual commitment to this forum. All of your questions were good. I just feel you asked them to the wrong audience.
You're making me wonder........

Newbie, just ignore him. Keep watching this thread. You'll get plenty of helpful information from people who do actually have some answers.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 11:58 AM

Newbie-----

Whoever recommended that you ask your questions about Baja on this forum got it right----------but Dennis is probably partially right in that these were tough questions for some of us to answer, even tho some tried. I think there were some useful answers, but the truth is that this is a pretty new situation and most of us DON'T have accurate answers for you. Keep trying, and don't get discouraged, but practical experience gained by visiting Mexico will reveal the best answers to your questions, as some have suggested.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out.
oldlady
Banned

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 12:08 PM

Newbie,
I certainly don't think you were wrong. There is a great deal of experience on this board. I have learned a lot from the members. However, as with many things, subjective opinions can be "colored" by the experiences of whomever profers the opinion. A Muslim, who also happens to be African American might have had different experiences Mexico differently than I.

Personally I think you would be welcome here....on the other hand I have a way of teeing people off and there are days when I am sure I am not welcome here, but that is by other Anglo Americans. My Mexican friends put up with me quite well.
oldlady
Banned

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 12:10 PM

Larry....Yeah, I did.....let's not go there.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 12:15 PM

newbie, I've never seen or heard of any sort of racial or religious discrimination in Loreto. I' haven't spent much time in northern Baja, but I would guess it is as open as the southern state.

Dennis, I've already picked on you enough this week, so I'm letting this one slide.:biggrin:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula

Dennis, I've already picked on you enough this week, so I'm letting this one slide.:biggrin:

Thanks. The last bout is still a little ouchy.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
And I don't really know what to make of the Trump comment.

quote]
Black Muslims? Nation of Islam? Malcom X? Elijah Muhammad? Louis Farakhan?
Probably not on the Donald's preferred tenant list.

Thanks to all:

I truly feel like I am being helped on this board and based on the forum answers it appears that living in mexico wouldn't present a problem. I will continue to "spy" on the forum threads and read silently as I don't have anything to contribute being new to this forum :no:. Whoever created this forum did a great job and have created a great community of people.

Thanks so much.
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

Quote:
Originally posted by newbie Also, I will take several trips to mexico prior to making a firm decision. Perhaps I'll rent for several months.

Thanks for the input it is helpful.

I would like to suggest Lomas Del Mar. Just west of La Joya, on the La Bufadora Highway.

This place has BEAUTIFUL views, and you can rent there for less than 300.00 per month. The best deal in the area.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
I would like to suggest Lomas Del Mar. Just west of La Joya, on the La Bufadora Highway.

This place has BEAUTIFUL views, and you can rent there for less than 300.00 per month. The best deal in the area.

Half price if youwear a ski mask when doing an application.

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 12:34 PM

Quote:
quote]
Black Muslims? Nation of Islam? Malcom X? Elijah Muhammad? Louis Farakhan?
Probably not on the Donald's preferred tenant list.
;)

Probably not and that is not the part of islam I am a part of. Ignorance is bliss. If you rent the malcom x movie you can see that even malcolm realized he was following the wrong thing. When he went to mecca is when he became enlightend. Malik el-hajj Shabazz...The world still has alot to learn about islam sheesh.

[Edited on 8-28-2007 by newbie]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 12:40 PM

That's why we ask. That's why you asked. I'm glad you did. I wish all of us here knew Islam in one way or the other. We, most of us, don't. That was my point all along. Hope you didn't take offense.

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 12:42 PM

Quote:
Hope you didn't take offense.

Not at all Dennis not at all. Glad we could add some closer to this miscommunication:spingrin:
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.