Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Back from DF:applying for mexican citizenship
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 05:33 PM

Ron
Mexico City, DF(in English federal district)

bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rob
Baquito, I am happy that oldhippies post (that guy can find ANYTHING) allowed you to make a decision, but the quote itself needs to be read with care.

Becoming a citizen of another country does not, in and of itself, constitute any threat to your U.S. citizenship whatsoever.

To "lose U.S. citizenship" you have to complete a legal TWO-STAGE PROCESS (per the State Dept):
Thanks Rob;)

- you have to freely apply for foreign citizenship

- you have to ACTIVELY AND FORMALLY RENOUNCE YOUR U.S. CITIZENSHIP.

Now this last step is not one achieved by initialing the wrong box on a form - it is a serious process requiring multiple forms (which I remember from law school), and is purposely made difficult for obvious reasons.

bacquito
bacquito
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rob
Baquito, I am happy that oldhippies post (that guy can find ANYTHING) allowed you to make a decision, but the quote itself needs to be read with care.

Becoming a citizen of another country does not, in and of itself, constitute any threat to your U.S. citizenship whatsoever.

To "lose U.S. citizenship" you have to complete a legal TWO-STAGE PROCESS (per the State Dept):
Thanks Rob;)

Now this last step is not one achieved by initialing the wrong box on a form - it is a serious process requiring multiple forms (which I remember from law school), and is purposely made difficult for obvious reasons.

bacquito
bacquito
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rob

Thanks Rob for clarifying-How long after you have a
fm3 must you wait before applying for Mexican citizenship?

bacquito
bacquito
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rob

Thanks Rob for clarifying-How long after you have an FM 3 must you wait before applying for Mexican citizenship?

bacquito
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 11:17 AM

It is not cheap but it's definately better than renewing your fm3's all the time..it's for life! the cost depends on what services you need but it's somewhere between 10,000 and 15,000 pesos, which includes everything, all the payments, paperwork, airport pick up, the works...I believe but it could be more too. I highly recommend LIc. Gilberto Piņera in DF and make sure you tell him shari sent you as I told him I would send my nomad amigos. His phone # in DF is 52-555-529-8701. There are cheaper flights to Toluca that cost around a hundred bucks each way from San Jose del Cabo...and we found some great cheap hotels downtown in the historical section for $20!! The process after you apply may take several months then you go back to DF to pick up your new passport and voila!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 11:28 AM

Is speaking Spanish mandatory?

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 11:38 AM

IMHO si seņor...but he has clients who don't...it sure helps to speak a little for sure just in case...buy you can study up with the guide and memorize answers I imagine. Best to ask the lawyer himself I guess. I feel that anyone becoming mexican should learn the language though.

Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Ron
Mexico City, DF(in English federal district)

Correct; but, just to add a few pesos to the mix for some added confusion..

You will often hear mainlanders refering to DF/Estado de Mexico as just "Mexico" as well.

DF generally refers just to the Federal District; but, many lump in the surrounding metro area with "DF" even though much of it extends well beyond the Federal District into the surrounding states. The term "Mexico" can either mean the state of Mexico, DF, and/or the entire "Valley of Mexico" as well. It can get quite confusing. You tend to hear people use the ambiguous term, "Mexico" in and around the central mainland more than elsewhere in the country.

Also, a person from DF will often be referred to as a Chilango(a) which is similar to "Gringo" as it can be awkward to use. I find it better to avoid use with strangers and often with friends as it can be insulting/non-insulting depending on context, use, person, mood, etc..

Shari, I think your headache may have been from the air and not from "withdrawal". I get an instant headache almost every time I go to DF. Either by air or bus, you can see the layer of smog as you enter the valley of Mexico. The smog is worst during the afternoon hours and the dry season especially during the months of January and February.

Congratulations on your citizenship!
sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Also, a person from DF will often be referred to as a Chilango(a) which is similar to "Gringo" as it can be awkward to use. I find it better to avoid use with strangers and often with friends as it can be insulting/non-insulting depending on context, use, person, mood, etc..

a bit more trivia. i have it on good authority :lol: that "chilango/a" refers to folks from "the provinces" that end up in df. one born there is a "capitalino/a.":P

chilangos have a reputation in mexico similar to the reputation of new yorkers in the good old usa. rude, obnoxious, and always in a hurry.:cool:

lili
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 12:15 PM

I'm glad it went well for you, just a word of caution on your party though. Watch what tequila you buy:lol:
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 12:22 PM

maybe we should arrange in advance at the hospital so we have IV time available for partyicipants:lol::lol:

Mango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 12:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by sylens

a bit more trivia. i have it on good authority :lol: that "chilango/a" refers to folks from "the provinces" that end up in df. one born there is a "capitalino/a.":P

chilangos have a reputation in mexico similar to the reputation of new yorkers in the good old usa. rude, obnoxious, and always in a hurry.:cool:

Yep, You are correct and I agree with you on the traditional use of the term Capitalino. However; perception and use is king and most people in the rest of Mexico only care about where your from.. they won't often bother to ask where you were born. If you roll into a tiny little village in a shiny car with DF plates... the term "Chilango" will go though heads far more the "Capitalino" IMO.
Mango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajagypsy
I'm glad it went well for you, just a word of caution on your party though. Watch what tequila you buy:lol:

Just stay away from anything "Gold" and you should be OK. Depending on budget or availability I recommend Herradura (widely loved by Mexicans) blanco or reposado. Cheaper blancos can/will be good for Margaritas.
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 01:09 PM

Yep, Humberto Pinera, same guy, about the same cost, $13,000 pesos, apart from flight and I stayed with friends, so it was economical in that sense. Amazing his contacts, we would just whoush right through those offices; Twas a real wham bam thank you Mam kind of day both times I went to see him. It was the period in between that got a little sticky for me. Again good luck to you Shari.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 05:03 PM

Yes, he's the man..and a man on a mission...all business and very busy indeed. I thought his name was Gilberto...thanks...good thing the months just fly by...the cost depends on by what means you are becoming mexican...mexican spouse or child or 5 years in the country. It was interesting to note that things have become stricter now after the famous "Chino" case where he got his citizinship very quickly.

SiReNiTa
Special Correspondent

Mood: Savoring life while saving the world!

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 05:14 PM

congrats mom...i think it is a great idea...mexico has so much to offer in every single way possible...and i'm not saying that just because this is my country...it's true and i am positive every single person on this board will agree 100%...mexico lindo y querido, si muero lejos de ti, que digan que estoy dormida y que me traigan a tiiiiiiiiiiiii.....to good to be true...moms more mexican that most mexicans that were actually born here...she deserves this, she has worked so hard for so long...i am so happy for u mommyyyyy

Live life as well as you can,
don\'t regret the things that once made you smile,
learn from your mistakes,
and thank God for every second he gives you upon this earth.

Visit me at
Http://BajaScents.Scentsy.com.mx
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 05:34 PM

Ay Sheri, I think you are correct, his name is Gilberto, not Humberto, I have been getting in trouble with my "Beto's" for years now. If they could all just be Beto, this would resolve a lot of memory blips for me. Anyway, He was one abrupt get it done kind of guy. I am just glad I did it and I am done.

My daughter went thru La Paz, direct with relaciones exteriores, no lawyer, took the test, saved all kinds of money, she is not the nervous nelly I am.

Oh que, now tell us la chisme; What Chino case?
rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 08:02 AM

Hola Bacquito,

You must have 5 years on your FM3 before applying for citizenship - and be careful, I happily handed in my old FM3 (which is required after five years), and was left without any proof of five years residence . .. so COPY it before applying for your new FM3!

FM3's are probably the most widely discussed document on Baja Nomads - for everything *and more) than you ever wanted to know - just do a search.

Roberto
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 09:03 AM
Huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by rob
and be careful, I happily handed in my old FM3 (which is required after five years), and was left without any proof of five years residence

When I traded in my FM3 for an FM2 info as to when I first received my FM3 was noted. Look carefully...It's not that way in yours?

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.