Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: DMV registration for car in baja
rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 08:35 AM
SD Registration/Mexican drivers

Could you confirm - all it takes to register my vehicle in South Dakota is a phone call? No local address requirement?

Seems too straightforward after CA and WA.

Other point. This appears to be one of (the many) Mexican urban myths. I do believe it is illegal for a Mexican national to drive a foreign-plated vehicle - PERIOD. No written permissions, presence of owner etc etc . ..

I am going to ask my lawyer to cite the exact Mexican federal law for us, as I have heard this down the years (I have also seen a large sign on the San Ysidro side of the border on Hwy 5 stating the above.
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Calif has new rules regarding insurance coverage. What used to be accepted no longer works. Why not register in a state that will not require proof of insurance unless on US highways? I have my Baja vehicles registered in South Dakota. What is required is a social security number and a US address to mail plates etc to. A very easy and inexpensive solution to the problem.

http://www.claycountysd.org/

Go to "treasurers office" for info and forms. Takes a call to get rates but some of the most helpful people I've ever talked to.

:light: [/quote

Lou, wasn't there a horror story floating around San Felipe a couple of months ago about a South Dakota registered vehicle? Seems the guy was driving around in California and got his vehicle impounded with a $5000.00 fine. The South Dakota registration thing sounds like straight up fraud to me.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge
Lou, wasn't there a horror story floating around San Felipe a couple of months ago about a South Dakota registered vehicle? Seems the guy was driving around in California and got his vehicle impounded with a $5000.00 fine. The South Dakota registration thing sounds like straight up fraud to me.

Never heard about that $5000.00 fine thing, but if you are living and working in Calif. with the vehicle you might not want to do it.

On a San Felipe forum there was a guy that had a business of mail forwarding etc. that was warning everyone that the state couldn't do what it does, but that's all I've heard about. He was promoting use of his business to get SD residency.

I personally don't believe the state of South Dakota is doing anything fraudulent. The plates are issued by the county treasurers office and the title comes from the state DMV in the capital of the state.

And rob - just call and they will give you the straight scoop. No use wondering if we are lying to you when we post what we know.:?:

[Edited on 9-28-2007 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 08:51 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Calif has new rules regarding insurance coverage. What used to be accepted no longer works. Why not register in a state that will not require proof of insurance unless on US highways? I have my Baja vehicles registered in South Dakota. What is required is a social security number and a US address to mail plates etc to. A very easy and inexpensive solution to the problem.

http://www.claycountysd.org/

Go to "treasurers office" for info and forms. Takes a call to get rates but some of the most helpful people I've ever talked to.

:light: [/quote

Bajajorge,

This is for people who are going to keep their vehichles in Mexico.... not for people to drive around CA.....
You can't do this if you are living in California....then it's just a dodge to state statutes which require you to retitle a vehicle within 30 days of moving to this state.

But if you are living and driving in Baja there is no problem....
This Is NOT A Fraud ...
I have South Dakota plates on my Bronco as it is moving permanently to La Paz next week.

- CaboRon
Darn I'm in the box:tumble:

Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
Quote:
Originally posted by Mango
Does anyone know the law regarding a Mexican national owning a CA plated vehicle? I see CA plated cars here in Mexicali all the time; but, I suspect that many are owned by Mexicans and maybe uninsured. Just curious.

Mango: the basic rule of thumb is Mexican plates require Mexican drivers license & USA plates requires USA drivers license. To the best of my knowledge, a Mexican with a Mexican DL can only....LEGALLY....drive a USA plated vehicle if the registered owner is in the car! If you let a Mexican licensed friend drive your USA plated vehicle alone, it can be confiscated!

Quote:
Originally posted by rob

Other point. This appears to be one of (the many) Mexican urban myths. I do believe it is illegal for a Mexican national to drive a foreign-plated vehicle - PERIOD. No written permissions, presence of owner etc etc . ..

I am going to ask my lawyer to cite the exact Mexican federal law for us, as I have heard this down the years (I have also seen a large sign on the San Ysidro side of the border on Hwy 5 stating the above.

I just see a ton of old beater CA plated cars driving around here in Mexicali. I am pretty sure they were not imported legally and I am pretty sure the people driving them are not US citizens. Conversely, I see a lot of nice new CA plated cars parked in the neighborhoods around here that are driven by Mexicans too. I'd think the newer cars would be more legit; but, who knows.

Just curious. Mi novia is a Mexican national and she needs to learn how to drive. I'd like to get her an old beater for said purpose. I know my insurance will not cover her in my car. I am on an FMT and only allowed one car when I am here so I'd like to just put it in her name, etc. I am not sure if she needs a Mexican plated car or if we could also look at CA plated cars too.

I've even seen a few cars, commercial trucks mostly, with CA and BC plates.

Thanks for the advice. I'd love to hear what your lawyer says.
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 12:35 PM

Someone from the Mexican DMV in San Felipe put out word a couple of years ago that an off road vehicle(sand rail, dune buggy, baja buggy etc) needs only proof of ownership, valid insurance for Mexico and a license plate(any license plate) to be legal in the San Felipe area. But, not legal if taken out of the SF area. Driving around the SF area I can agree with that statement. Probably 25% of the vehicles have no registration, no license plates and who knows which are legal or not. I'm talking both Mexican and gringo vehicles.
My tow vehicle and 5th wheel are Nevada legally registered to the tune of almost $1000.00 per year. My baja car is San Felipe legal and stays there year round. US Customs would probably have the big one if I tried to cross the border with it.

[Edited on 9-28-2007 by Bajajorge]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mango
just see a ton of old beater CA plated cars driving around here in Mexicali. I am pretty sure they were not imported legally
I've even seen a few cars, commercial trucks mostly, with CA and BC plates.

If they still have Ca plates, old vehicle or newer, it's almost certain the vehicle hasn't been imported. Here in Ensenada, there are about a million Segundas. The trucks that cross over on a weekly basis to aquire inventory have both plates. Probably the same in Mexicali.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Someone from the Mexican DMV in San Felipe put out word a couple of years ago that an off road vehicle(sand rail, dune buggy, baja buggy etc) needs only proof of ownership, valid insurance for Mexico and a license plate(any license plate) to be legal in the San Felipe area.
[Edited on 9-28-2007 by Bajajorge]

I was under the impression that car insurance was not required in Mexico, only a good idea especially for foreigners. Insurance for the average José on the streets is cost prohibitive. That's why "Hit 'n Run" is so popular.
Mango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
If they still have Ca plates, old vehicle or newer, it's almost certain the vehicle hasn't been imported. Here in Ensenada, there are about a million Segundas. The trucks that cross over on a weekly basis to aquire inventory have both plates. Probably the same in Mexicali.

Dennis, what do you mean by "Segundas"?

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

I was under the impression that car insurance was not required in Mexico, only a good idea especially for foreigners. Insurance for the average José on the streets is cost prohibitive. That's why "Hit 'n Run" is so popular.

That was what I have heard and read in the past as well.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 07:24 PM

Segunda........ A second hand store.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 08:07 PM

Auto insurance is not required in Mexico....

BIG HOWEVER.....
If you are involved in an accident you will be held until all parties are satisfied...... If you have insurance you will be walking free while this is resolved.

So even if you aren't required to carry coverage ..... you are still responsible financially and you had better be insured if you don't want to spend time in the chiller.

- CaboRon

Mango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
Auto insurance is not required in Mexico....

BIG HOWEVER.....
If you are involved in an accident you will be held until all parties are satisfied...... If you have insurance you will be walking free while this is resolved.

So even if you aren't required to carry coverage ..... you are still responsible financially and you had better be insured if you don't want to spend time in the chiller.

- CaboRon

Yep, thats how I have read it in the past as well. Believe me, my choice is insurance.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2007 at 01:57 AM

Bajalou,
Driver's license insurance in mexico is valid for currently registered vehicles, so they can try to stiff you if you crash in an out of date tag vehicle. I buy dl ins for mex $80=year but I need my cars plated with current tags. In this california's new laws are improved for us nomads.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2007 at 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Driver's license insurance in mexico is valid for currently registered vehicles

DL insurance, as we all know, is reserved for visitors with a foreign drivers license. It isn't for resident expats although we all know that residents have it. The company I buy from requires a stateside address. Mexican locals with a Baja license can't get it. Keep that in mind when involved in a wreck. You're just visiting.
nobaddays
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2007 at 06:31 AM
I love South Dakota

I sent in my fees of 22 dollars for my jeep in BCS. Thanks for the tip. No more buying stickers for 30 dollars in cabo and losing them to the carwash boys !!!!
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2007 at 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Bajalou,
Driver's license insurance in mexico is valid for currently registered vehicles, so they can try to stiff you if you crash in an out of date tag vehicle. I buy dl ins for mex $80=year but I need my cars plated with current tags. In this california's new laws are improved for us nomads.

That's why I like SD's lower rates to register and not having to have US insurance on the vehicles.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Mexrick
Junior Nomad

Mood: Still a bit soggy!!!

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 08:53 PM

I fought CA DMV for years regarding the smog/insurance hassle. Finally imported my '94 Bronco, got Mexican insurance and sleep like a baby!

Rick - MeT
Live Where You Play
Mulegé, BCS, Mexico
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-3-2007 at 06:11 AM

so mexrick...tell us how you imported the bronco and the costs

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 10-3-2007 at 01:07 PM

I live in San Felipe, I had two vehicles registered in SD after talking to bajalou on a dune buggy outing. Last March, I went to the CA DMV in Imperial County (Smog Exempt County) with my one day insurance policy (as I had done the last 5 years). I renewed, was handed my tags. It was AFTER this transaction was completed, and I was prepared to leave, that the DMV agent told me my tags would expire in 30 days unless my insurance company electronically notified them of annual coverage (This is the change a few have indicated earlier in the thread). I asked for a refund. I was told where the form is online that I had to submit for a refund. I sent in the form and the next day called SD. The third vehicle was then registered for about half the cost of CA. I received the plates a couple weeks after that and had over paid. There was two 1 dollar bills between the plates when I received them. Gawd I love South Dakota. And I am really sorry for your loss California, you have run off yet another customer.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2007 at 02:54 PM

I bought a cargo trailer and just yesterday received the registration paper and plate for it. Now I have SD plates and title on both car and trailer listing my AZ business address.

I think the world is run by C- students.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.