sorry if you think i'm gruff....i am:no:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 04:56 PM

Ouch Bob.
That was my first thought.

I can see your point as a business man. IMHO you moved to Baja with that intention. Business first.

On the other hand, I can see Shari's point as a real person who hasn't fallen into the business spiral. She still has the personal relationship to her business side. She lived and lives in Baja first and business is a second. Again, all my personal opinion. She seems to worry more about the person than the $ sign attached to that person.

That is old school baja to me. I'd like to know that if I were expected to show up at Shari's and missed my arrival date she'd be looking for me, rather than someone else who said, oh well, another vacancy...bring 'em on.

In my opinion.

P<*)))><

[Edited on 13-10-2007 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
We bought our cell phone at the TelCel store in Bahia Asuncion. It is an inexpensive phone and uses the cards---only pay for time used.

However, after two months, the time runs out, but when you buy a new card you get the unsed time back---Actually, it is not time but money left since different calls cost different amounts.

The two biggest problems I had was getting the phone registered which has to be done and all the directions were in Spanish -- much I waded through and understood, but not all of it. However, the lady in the BA TelCel phone who speaks no English helped me get a hold of an English speaking service rep so I could register the phone.

Also, at the suggestion of another nomad, I looked for the directions in English on the Internet and found them. Before that, we stopped at a big TelCel office in the Home Depot Center in Ensenada for help as I knew someone there would speak English.

Good luck
Diane

Thank you Diane! This is the specific information I/we Nomads can use. What I would do is stop into the TelCel office in The Home Depot in Ensenada and hopefully buy a phone with a card. I hope to meet you and John, too.

Although Shari didn't respond to my questions, I appreciate the spirit of her concern for guests. A phone call to someone who has her guests' well being in her heart is definitely someone I would like to know. Aren't we Nomads all friends? (Don't laugh).

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 05:36 PM
toneart

Just want to clarify---the big Tel-Cel place in Ensenada is not IN Home Depot, but in that center.

When are you headed south? We may be up in your neck of the woods---Colfax----around 12-1 Mother-in-laws birthday.

Diane

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
Thats a good idea that way if they are in an accident and can't stay, you will still get some of their money.

Are you an attorney? :rolleyes:

This common and acceptable practice in the hospitality industry. No one who travels regularly will have a problem with that.

-CAboRon

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 06:20 PM

Nomads,
It is possible to have good business practices that demonstrate responsibility (customer's AND proprietor's) as well as compassion.

As long as the rules/expectations are clear and folks accept the conditions, it is fair to all concerned.

Bob, I assume that your "laughs" were meant in jest more than not and were perhaps intended to express some disbelief that some travelers accept their own responsibilities as much as one might wish for them to.:light:

Don't believe everything you think....
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Ouch Bob.
That was my first thought.

I can see your point as a business man. IMHO you moved to Baja with that intention. Business first.

On the other hand, I can see Shari's point as a real person who hasn't fallen into the business spiral. She still has the personal relationship to her business side. She lived and lives in Baja first and business is a second. Again, all my personal opinion. She seems to worry more about the person than the $ sign attached to that person.

That is old school baja to me. I'd like to know that if I were expected to show up at Shari's and missed my arrival date she'd be looking for me, rather than someone else who said, oh well, another vacancy...bring 'em on.

[Edited on 13-10-2007 by Paulina]

Sorry, Paulina, it's not to do with who's point of view is what, or the money.

The point is that, if Shari doesn't get prepaid deposits, she is leaving herself open to more & more guests just not showing up. Without a financial commitment, a lot of folks, sitting at the Viscaino junction, might just keep driving south. After all, it's no skin off their nose if Shari is waiting for them, is it? This is just the way of the world these days.

Besides, using proper business practices, guests will respect her operation as being more professional and feel they got better value going there.

This is not meant to flame you or start arguements, just to help Sheri & Juan (who appear to have a fine business sense anyway).

Cheers :yes:

[Edited on 10-13-2007 by Baja&Back]

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja&Back

Sorry, Paulina, it's not to do with who's point of view is what, or the money.

The point is that, if Shari doesn't get prepaid deposits, she is leaving herself open to more & more guests just not showing up. Without a financial commitment, a lot of folks, sitting at the Viscaino junction, might just keep driving south. After all, it's no skin off their nose if Shari is waiting for them, is it? This is just the way of the world these days.

Besides, using proper business practices, guests will respect her operation as being more professional and feel they got better value going there.

This is not meant to flame you or start arguements, just to help Sheri & Juan (who appear to have a fine business sense anyway).

Cheers :yes:

[Edited on 10-13-2007 by Baja&Back]

You make some very good points, however, it would be really difficult for Shari to receive deposits. There is no bank in Bahia Asuncion---not even an ATM. There is a Western Union office, but to wire money is really expensive. While there is no post office, they do deliver mail to the Western Union, but when it arrives is questionable----so while I think the deposit idea might be good, not sure it is practical in this case.

Diane

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 07:30 PM

you can open a citibank account over the internet
you do not have to sign ANY papers or go into ANY office

ANYONE can transfer money to that account from anywhere...
after that the money for the deposit is hers

a deposit shols ALWAYS be taken for a reservation...ALWAYS
this gives the renter "buy in" to be "on time" or lose their deposit

if shari is in business she MUST have a business bank account in mexico

transfering money from a american internet bank like citibank to banamex or bancomer is quite simple

we never have any cash...it's ALL in the bank...
we transfer it back and forth all the time

when we need a couple hundred pesos for gas or milk we just stop at the ATM

sorry guys i really didn't mean to laugh out loud...really

but...again... this will happen over and over

people on vacation for just a few weeks WILL NOT take the time to rent or buy cell phone service ...it JUST won't happen

our website is:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 08:17 PM

paypal is an option...

oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 08:24 PM

I'm sorry, I just don't understand. This thread is not about getting money from intended guests, it is about Shari's real concern with the welfare of her friends - guests or otherwise.

Although I have never met Shari, she has graciously given me her personal cell phone number if I ever run into trouble between Los Cabos and La Frontera. And I will use it if I ever get into a pinch. It is programmed into my TelCel phone.

I have met Serinita and she is a most charming and intelligent young lady. And the apple doesn't fall far from the tree! I'm just sorry I can't be there for the birthday bash!

Thanks Shari for your thoughtfulness and concern.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 08:25 PM

My impression is that no malicious harm was intended by Bob's laugh icons. He is teaching good business sense.

Having said that, I still believe that, business acumen aside, Shari is coming from her heart with real concern. So this string is about awareness of perils on the road and imploring people who are expected to report when they are late. Sure, she may get burned by some people, but that is a topic for discussion elsewhere. Shari is now informed with the business aspect (if she wasn't already) and it is her choice to take prepaid deposits or not.

So, have the people shown up yet?:?:

Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
My impression is that no malicious harm was intended by Bob's laugh icons. He is teaching good business sense.

Comon tone.....Shari doesn't need any teaching. Bob does.

toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stickers
Quote:
Originally posted by toneart

Comon tone.....Shari doesn't need any teaching. Bob does.

Nah-h-h-h. Bob's a pro.

Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 10:58 PM

The whole point of Shari's post, is that she is an actual "caring" human, and doesn't really care about the $$$$$$$$. We have a bad habbit of beining behind schedule, or getting side tracked, and thanks to Shari's post, we now realise the suffering she goes through waiting for people to arrive. Due to this post, next time down, we will purchase a cell phone to let people (Shari) know where we are and when we should arrive.

Not everyone wants to make there millions and frankly, the reason we like Asuncion and recently purchased land there, is that the people acutally care, and everyone is not out for themselves.

(edit for spelling, I was to anxious)

[Edited on 10-13-2007 by Bajagypsy]

[Edited on 10-13-2007 by Bajagypsy]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-13-2007 at 06:25 AM

no...i need training

i have to work on "human relation" skills daily

this has ALWAYS been a problem for me and i know it

i truly didn't mean to upset shari
i belive her thoughts do come from the heart

"its crule world" out there so be prepared

our website is:
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 10-13-2007 at 07:38 AM

For all those that would like an emergency contact I would suggest Hose A in northern Baja. He has been there in a rough situation for me, and I am guessing, would do the same for any Nomad in need. Thanks Gene for your help in the past. :P

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2007 at 08:29 AM

Shari I say your compassion is refreshing and admirable & applaud your endless willingness to offer help, suggestions, ideas, answers, with great sense of humor, insight, and concern about visitors to Baja be it their first or thousandth trip.

Sadly, kindness is viewed as weakness by some, and sometimes <equally sadly> in offering a hand, 'they' take the arm... as the region has grown and attracts heavy hitters, I'm reminded often business is business .. friendship is friendship ... combining the two very tricky. In 1991 I did not find it to be like this in Cabo.

At one time we required $100 per boat/day for deposit & found some would 'walk' from that - whether they were hung over or got a 'better deal' (read as timeshare pitch offered discounted trip) so we increased deposits to 50% of total cost. No one walks away from that. We too get some of the interesting stories that Grover eludes to and have to make a judgement call about whether its a novells or not.

I relate to Bobs biz sense and where he was coming from .. I dont know him personally but I doubt he intended to hurt nor insult Shari.

Shari I am confident you will discover the balance that works best for you - and wish you mucho success and happiness to your definitions.

What/who started this thread by not showing up missed out on an experience of a lifetime .. and hopefully will contact you & let you know all is ok.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2007 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
The two biggest problems I had was getting the phone registered ...

What does "registered" mean? You saying that they're now requiring identification associated with prepay phone accounts? Or is this something like a guarantee registration?

Thanks-- Larry

I don't know why, but when you first purchase the phone, you get a message that they want you to register it. When I called, they wanted basic information like name and address---our address is always interesting because they have not created our road yet, so like many people, we just use the name of the main street sin numero.

I really find this thread interesting. There seems to be a perception that if someone is in business and does want to make some money, it is inconsistent with being a caring human being----just confusing to me. I can't imagine any one making the effort to run a business and NOT caring about making any money ----not talking about greed, but we all need to eat and want a secure future. One can still be a caring human being---

Nothing wrong with trying to get ahead. And, regardless if someone is a customer only, a customer friend, a friend, or whatever, if someone is expecting you on a certain day, one should call if you are delayed----no fun to sit and worry.

Bob, I had to laugh when you said for cash, you just run to the ATM. The cloesest ATM we have in Bahia Asuncion is about 70 miles away in Vizcaino, and that is real new! Prior to that, one had to go to Guerrero Negro. With a Mexican Bank account, one can get some money from Western Union, that is when they have money.

Diane

[Edited on 10-13-2007 by jdtrotter]

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-13-2007 at 08:55 AM

Quote:

Bob, I had to laugh when you said for cash, you just run to the ATM. The cloesest ATM we have in Bahia Asuncion is about 70 miles away in Vizcaino, and that is real new! Prior to that, one had to go to Guerrero Negro. With a Mexican Bank account, one can get some money from Western Union, that is when they have money.

seems like a new opportunity....:light:

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.