David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-16-2007 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Cool T-shirt....but you don't need a winch for those destinations..... unless it is to help Coco pull some guy out of the outhouse....or hoist another pair of panties to his collection :lol:

We haven't used a winch on Mission Impossible...yet. But, stay tuned, because things can always get interesting. For instance, I have plenty of video showing winches pulling stuck Jeeps through the Pole Line Road outside of Mexicali.

Boxers go up there as well!

1106 209r.JPG - 38kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 10-16-2007 at 12:05 PM

Up until recently the family of a good friend of mine owned a cabin on 40 acres in mountains near Big Sur, CA. It had been in his family since the 30's and was a great place to escape the world.

The cabin was located on, "Old Coast Road" that runs between the famous Bixby Creek bridge and the village of Big Sur. The road itself, which is the original Hwy 1 in the area, is not that rugged. In good weather it is passable by any regular car.

The nice thing about the road, is that it led from my friends cabin straight to the Big Sur River Inn where a c-cktail could be had while sitting on a wooden bench in the Big Sur River. (Great place to go BTW, live music at night too) After two c-cktails we bought a 12 pack of Tecate and headed back to the dirt road to my friends cabin.

I was on the back of a friends nighthawk, as we followed my other friend on his Honda enduro. As soon as we the dirt our friend, riding solo except for the 12 pack strapped to the back, took off in a cloud of dust.

As we approached the first turn, there was a large cloud of dust but our friend was gone. Feeling something was amiss we pulled up to the side of the embankment and looked down. There was my friend, laying with his head downhill in a blackberry bush with his bike pinning one of his legs.

We quickly scrambled down the 20 foot embankment and got the bike off of our friend. Luckily, he was ok. As my two friends struggled to push the bike up the embankment I went about collecting all the loose Tecates that had broke free in the accident.

Just then, as I stood there with 12 loose Tecates in my arms (several of which were spraying beer in all directions from pinhole sized punctures from the berry bush), my friends neighbor stopped in his ranch truck. He asked us if we were ok. We must have been a sorry sight.

Both of my friends, embarrassed told him yes, we are ok. He got in his truck to drive off when I spotted his winch on the front of his truck, and told him we were not ok, and asked if he could help us out.

Soon we had the bike winched up the 50% incline (which would have taken us some time to get the bike up) and we were on our way.. minus one clutch lever and a few leaky Tecates.

Winches are great!
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 10-16-2007 at 05:35 PM

The only winching story I know of did not have a happy ending. The moral of that story is....don't stay in the vehicle if you are winching youself up an embankment. This happened in Wyoming many years ago, but the kid was from San Diego.

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 10-16-2007 at 10:28 PM

It is my hope that people don't try and recreate what is on the front and back of these t-shirts and hoodies that I'm selling...PLEASE DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!! :!:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.