Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: mindfreaked at pemex
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2007 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTom
answers to questions: took 30$ to fill the tank, and my uncertainty of what I handed the attendant is what allowed it to work....
And yes, i am a doctor (of veterinary medicine) and believe it or not, harder to get into vet med school than human med school, but the day they did the slight of hand/dollar passing test as an entrance requirement, i was absent....

Excuse my ignorance but did he let you go for the "other" $25?

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2007 at 11:46 AM

Which Pemex are we talking about?
By Aramburo Plaza?

Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 10-18-2007 at 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
OK, I think I've got it:

Call out the peso note when you pay, and don't focus on the mustard.
or was it
Call out mustard, and focus on the peso...
Carry mustard. :lol:

--Larry

:lol: I'm going to have to list mustard on the next: What legal weapon can I stash in my car when I am baja thread.

Squirt 'em in the eye with mustard and floor it! :light:

I wonder which brand works best.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2007 at 02:50 PM

try this easy fix in the future. get out of the car, order your gas asking for only even peso amounts...100, 200, 300, 400, 500 whatever. hold that much money in your hand. get it out before you pull in. hold the bill up if you temporarily blank on how to say the number. (if the pump doesn't go as far as you've ordered you may have to watch to be sure that the attendant doesn't try to force the rest in, but no big deal, you at least know what denomination you are aiming for)

watch that the pump is zeroed. if not, point it out immediately.

give the attendant who pumps the gas (ONLY) the correct amount of pesos stating "x" pesos, as you hand it over. linger if necessary for emphasis with your hand still on the bill. IF change is needed, continue to hold onto your money while the attendant brings out his/her wad of bills and unfolds the proper change, or digs through his pocket for coin. then and only then hand over your money, saying the amount of the bill, at the same time he/she gives you the change. smile. slowing down the line is not your problem. try to do all of this in a pleasant, polite but not paranoid manner. play slow, dumb if needed but not hostile, remember most attendants are actually honest. honest! for the dishonest, you are making yourself harder to target.

and never ever never ever ever use US currency to buy gas. period. ever.

get used to your local station and attendants. you will learn which to trust. tip them for window wash service. separately from the gas. keep a handful of 10 peso coins convenient. do not tip for a fill up. (this says I have enough money I won't mind if you cheat me out of more) they will remember you and/or your car. they rarely get away with cheating locals for long.

one mainland scam which I haven't seen here...yet, is that you pull in and are waved to another pump with no line. are you surprised that this is the 'cheat the gringo' one? act dumb. sit tight, be patient, fill up at the pump everyone else is using. the locals know which pump is as close to accurate as it's gonna get. then follow the above procedure.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
DrTom
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2007 at 02:52 PM

pretty sure Judy, that was the one....aramburo plaza.....big easy access...on the right on the way to the airport but i think before sanjose viejo. I was just disappointed in the guys......i had just spent a great 10 days shopping in guadalajara, tonola, telaqepaque etc, bought a whole household, and not one ripple in the whole of the transactions and get to san jose and get hustled by the pemex guys.....jeez....
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2007 at 03:48 PM

Im in Guadalajara right now Dr. Tom and I think here as well as southern Mexico they dont have the all the scams that are constantly happening to tourists as well as local Americans. Along the border in any state in Mexico the scamers have it down to a science. If you speak Spanish to any one who assists you in a transaction people will think twice before they try and rip you off so my advise is to you is LEARN SPANISH!

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2007 at 04:47 PM

Dr Tom
They have gotten me too. I figured that was where you meant.
Heads up everyone!!!!

aquaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2007 at 09:39 AM

...there are a number of good suggestions here, such as paying in pesos and knowing about what you'll need to fill, or want to purchase. Here's something I have done to help pay attention to the process and make sure there are no rip-offs...I have installed locking gas cap(s) and placed the keys on the ignition key ring. When I pull into a station, I get out and before I unlock the cap, I make sure the pump has been re-set to zero. I tell the attendant how much gas I want in pesos, and have the bill in my hand so he can see it. Then, watch to make sure you get the amount that you have ordered. You are in charge of the transaction from start to finish, and have much less chance of a rip-off...
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 10-19-2007 at 12:05 PM

That's the only scam I've had pulled on me (that I know about).

Attendant got two 500 notes from me, turned around and then back to me showing a 500 and a 200, and wanted more. I laughed, called his bluff and got the 50 pesos or so due me in change. DW looks on through the back window and he knew he didn't have a leg to stand on.

It appeared as though he was practising at this scam and was trying to get prepared for a great career.
castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 10-19-2007 at 07:35 PM

Thats one of the reasons I use peso's!!!
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 10-19-2007 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rhintransitand never ever never ever ever use US currency to buy gas. period. ever.

never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ...

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
docsmom
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2007 at 08:30 PM

I love this thread! In the 20 + years Docsdad and I have been traveling in Baja, the only time (and every time) we fight is at the gas station! Every time I'm suspecting that we've been ripped off. Docsdad probably suspects that we've been ripped off but just doesn't want to be confrontational. So as we pull out of the gas station we're grumpy and crabby with each other I tell myself that it's the conversion from litre's to gallons and dollars to peso's that's too complicated and to give up the fight. You my dear nomads have confirmed that we probably are being ripped off and I thank you for your wisdom. Next time we pull into the station we'll offer the amount we're willing to pay and with all your tips we'll get what we pay for. The gas tank might not be full but the love tank will be intact! Thanks for all your wisdom Baja Nomads!
Mango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2007 at 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
Im in Guadalajara right now Dr. Tom and I think here as well as southern Mexico they dont have the all the scams that are constantly happening to tourists as well as local Americans. Along the border in any state in Mexico the scamers have it down to a science. If you speak Spanish to any one who assists you in a transaction people will think twice before they try and rip you off so my advise is to you is LEARN SPANISH!

I've been scammed, or had people attempt scams, all over Mexico. The main difference in the mainland is that there are so many people to scam they don't just target tourists, unless you are in a tourist area that is.

A Canadian I met in Guanajuato complained to a street vendor about his cigarette prices once. He said, first it was 9 pesos, then 8, then 12, now 11? Same lady, same pack of smokes, all in a span of 3 days. It's wasn't a "scam" but it was funny as her prices were not set in the least bit.

It's common to get a different price quoted as a gringo than the "local" price. I often combat that by lingering around to see what others pay for the same item/service. Then I do my dealings in Spanish after the vendor knows that I know the price.

The first time I took a bus from Mexicali to Mazatlan years ago, I payed 534 pesos or so. An old man sitting next to me on the same bus, riding all the way to Mexico city payed 234 pesos to travel 3 times as far. :lol:
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2007 at 07:04 AM

A guy at a crowded bar/club tried to over charge me for two drinks (by $10 or more). I was so pi$$d off because I had been going there for a while and this was one of the few times we only had one round on the tab and we were sober enough to catch him. The thought of how many times did he get me before was going through my mind. I had used this same waiter 4-5 times before.

Anyway, I confronted him pretty bad. There was an exchange back and forth of the money as I attempted to prove what I gave him, and what change he gave me. I got him so rattled he gave me my money back ($500 peso bill) to start over and then gave me the change also. I paid him from the change. I said ok?, he was satisfied, and I walked away. 5 minutes later he came chasing me down after he realized "he" got scammed. I suddenly lost all ability to speak any spanish... It was sweet revenge, but I'm sure he got me for much more the previous 4 times in the place.

Always pay for each round at the bar as they come or you are sure to get over charged.

[Edited on 10-20-2007 by JZ]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2007 at 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mango

The first time I took a bus from Mexicali to Mazatlan years ago, I payed 534 pesos or so. An old man sitting next to me on the same bus, riding all the way to Mexico city payed 234 pesos to travel 3 times as far. :lol:

Maybe he had the Seņor Citizen discount.
Dave
Elite Nomad

rolleyes.gif posted on 10-20-2007 at 10:48 AM
Another side to the story

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho

...to the best of my knowledge, have NEVER been ripped off at a gas station (well, outside of short liters).

I suspect many foreigners are perceived as objects (not surprising, they can't even communicate like a human being). And objects are to be used. :)

And maybe it's easier to perceive people as objects if your employer sets the example. ;)

With rare exception, people learn thievery.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-20-2007 at 11:01 AM

Lecho----

I think I can one-up you----------I have been traveling in Baja for about 55 years, and to the best of my knowledge have NEVER been ripped off-----like you, some have tried, but I have always laughingly realized what is happening and have nipped it in the bud (or at least I think I have :lol: )

It is Mexico--------part of the reality of Mexico---------nothing is all perfect (by our standards???)----------I believe that is what you are saying, and I agree.
Mango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2007 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Mango

Maybe he had the Seņor Citizen discount.

Yep, I had thought of that. I think it was part discount, and partly that he did not have much money and was traveling with his wife.

Still, the old man seemed pretty shocked when I told him how much I paid. I still payed less than what was listed on the board at the ticket counter so I think prices were a bit flexible as they were just trying to put warm bodies in the bus to pay for gas.

He and his wife sat across the aisle from me and looked out after me as I was traveling alone and spoke very little Spanish. I was only about 24 hours into Mexico for the first time, and I got a good dose of the better side of people in Mexico on that trip.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.